MBB Game 02 vs. Princeton, Nov 10 (Fri), 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

MBB Game 02 vs. Princeton, Nov 10 (Fri), 7 PM

Post by Jojogunne »

Princeton, our opponent this coming Friday, plays Rutgers tonight on Peacock (yet another streaming platform in the fragmented world of college hoops):

https://goprincetontigers.com/news/2023 ... st-rutgers

Last year we beat the Tigers, 83-77. Aaron Estrada and Amar'e Marshall (remember him?) led us with 27 and 15 points, respectively:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2022/11/7/me ... pener.aspx
EvanJ

Re: MBB Game 02 vs. Princeton, Nov 10 (Fri), 7 PM

Post by EvanJ »

I pay for Peacock to watch English soccer. In NCAA Football, Peacock seems to get one exclusive Big Ten game a week. I'm in Nebraska, and on Saturday fans will probably be mad that they are on Peacock, albeit I won't talk to people or read articles to hear from their fans.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Today, Princeton beat Rutgers by 7 points. Hope we are ready for a good game on Friday.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I don't know, let's hope it's a good game I guess... I'm not feeling too confident yet about how this team is going to start this season. I think they've got ability, but it could be rough to get going. Can tell they don't know who they are yet post Estrada and need much gelling. Hope they evolve some things in a hurry. What they did today, despite the lopsided score, is not going to cut it.

Looking forward to the test though - and very interested in the roster use in a real game - this will tell us where this team really is out of the gate.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Princeton 68-Rutgers 61
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I wonder when the last time (if ever) we played a nonconference opponent with both teams' most recent Division I win being at the same opponent.
Wags

Post by Wags »

This seems way too high for this game, but ESPN is giving Hofstra a 70% chance to win this.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Agree - I think this game is a toss-up. A slight homecourt advantage for us is the difference.

Is Princeton the "wanna-be" member of the CAA - they have 5 games on their '23-'24 schedule this year against CAA foes (Hofstra, Monmouth, N'eastern, Drexel, Delaware).
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:47 am Agree - I think this game is a toss-up. A slight homecourt advantage for us is the difference.

Is Princeton the "wanna-be" member of the CAA - they have 5 games on their '23-'24 schedule this year against CAA foes (Hofstra, Monmouth, N'eastern, Drexel, Delaware).
Does at least 4-1 qualify them for the CAA tournament this year? :lol:
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Not much of a preview by Princeton talk about lazy journalism
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

The Shadow wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:08 am Princeton 68-Rutgers 61
Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_MuK_Yp6tA
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

With ESPN giving us a 70% chance to win what will likely be the line in this game??
Polito

Post by Polito »

Line will be interesting - that's certainly a relatively high % to win, but I suppose it's not that crazy - HU is also talented, has the preseason POY, is at home, and Princeton lost their two best. Maybe that's the reasoning? I do expect the line to be closer though...

My thoughts on this game:

This Princeton reminds me of some former HU teams. They are starting 5 dominant, not much from the bench right now, run a small guard-oriented offense, so not much size and of course as usual for them move really well and shoot the three at a high clip.

HU has the advantage in size by a considerable margin, so they should win the rebounding battle, and they carry a much deeper / more talented bench IMO. Would like to see HU assert it's dominance in the paint. No reason not to. Defending the 3 point line will be important - I would really rather not see a seesaw game of who can shoot the most 3's... although it kinda feels like that might happen.

The showcase of Thomas and Allocco will be fun to watch - I don't think they'll guard each other all game, but both are the top ballers on their squads and will certainly be fighting to be the one who leads their team to victory. The Tigers will want revenge so I expect them to come out firing. Want HU to dominate the boards, play stingy D, and control the TO battle. Do that with their scoring and size ability, and HU can take this early W.

I'm planning to be there with a couple of folks, this is the first 'real' game and start to the season, looking forward to it! ROLL PRIDE
Wags

Post by Wags »

The first 50 students attending will have a chance to win a 50" TV.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Another preview:

https://www.trentonian.com/2023/11/09/p ... ng-island/

Sounds like Princeton did not come up the day before the game last year and suffered the consequences. Considering tomorrow is the beginning of a holiday weekend, they should probably leave after breakfast. :)
Wags

Post by Wags »

Lines: Hofstra -1.5, 144.5 O/U, would equate to a 73-71 Hofstra win.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Close line as expected...

Where's the chatter on here folks?!? This is a solid home opponent on a Friday night, let's go! The first real game, should be an exciting game, figured there'd be more juice - anyone else planning to be there?

Hope it's packed out, really no excuse on essentially a holiday Friday night - dig this time slot! ROLL PRIDE
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I always miss the first game or two as I'm in Florida the first week of November but my b/i/l has my tickets. Hopefully I'll catch the end of the game on Flo sports. Go Pride!!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I will be at this game. Definitely excited for the first game. I am sure it will have a solid crowd as Hofstra has been promoting this pretty hard on social media. They had a huge bonfire event on campus last night too with both basketball teams and coaches.