MBB Game 02 vs. Princeton, Nov 10 (Fri), 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB Game 02 vs. Princeton, Nov 10 (Fri), 7 PM

Post by Polito »

I'm drawing some lines to the '20 Buie led team that lost one of the worst games in the modern HU era dropping the opener to an awful San Jose St team at home - I was there and it was a pretty disgusting way to start that year with the seasoned and talented team HU had - they continued to have some ups and downs early, a few games later took down UCLA on the road, and then of course went on to win the CAA championship.

Hoping this early L (to a MUCH better team) will have a similar result and shake them into shape. I'll take this loss to win when it matters and dance!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:58 pm I'm drawing some lines to the '20 Buie led team that lost one of the worst games in the modern HU era dropping the opener to an awful San Jose St team at home - I was there and it was a pretty disgusting way to start that year with the seasoned and talented team HU had - they continued to have some ups and downs early, a few games later took down UCLA on the road, and then of course went on to win the CAA championship.

Hoping this early L (to a MUCH better team) will have a similar result and shake them into shape. I'll take this loss to win when it matters and dance!!
This is great perspective. And if it can come from, of all people here, Polito (lol just messin', although I do like the increased optimism this year), then none of us should be reaching for the panic button yet after only two "real" games.

Now we'll have to see what kind of team THIS year's team is. Losing to Princeton and at GW this year is a lot different than losing to San Jose State at home that year. So that's one reason to let it play out before overreacting now.

However, the reason the '19-'20 and '22-'23 teams rebounded from OOC disappointments to regular season CAA titles (and, in the case of '19-'20, a CAA tourney title) was because they were both ultimately proven to be that good and just needed to iron some things out early. On paper, this year's team may simply not be as good as those teams and this time around, it may be more than just fixing things early to become champions later. But we also don't know that until they play the games, especially in January & February. And maybe if they are indeed not as good as those other two teams, they can still overachieve by being greater than the sum of the parts and still achieve the same goals in early March.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Princeton just did it again, won 70-67 at Duquesne tonight. For comparison Duquesne already has an 18 pt win over Charleston and 22 pt win over Stony Brook in the bag this year.

I'm not saying it changes my perception of what happened in this game (or the GW one), my eye test still says Hofstra played incredibly poorly in both. But Princeton really might just be that good too.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Princeton's run to the sweet 16 last year was not a fluke. They are good, real good...not so sure about GW but early on they are 3-0, not shabby. Our OOC is brutal...it will make us better or break us. Time will tell.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Just turned on SNY. Princeton (8-0) is hosting Drexel (5-3). If PU wins, the Tigers will be 9-0 for the first time in nearly a century!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Princeton up by nine in the first half. They're a very well coached team that play well together.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

They're also on the verge of cracking the top 25
Last edited by HUSID80 on Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hope they do - softens the L blow.