Women's basketball 2023-24

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Women's basketball 2023-24

Post by triplec2195 »

In our case it will be a quick wakeup call when we actually have to play a team players of the same or BETTER CALIBER.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We beat Howard today 58-49 not exactly scoring at will like we did against Farmingdale. We played without Swint which hurts us as she's having a good year. Brooke Anya up to the task though in the paint scoring 17 points and grabbing 13 rebounds. She's now our second leading scorer behind Emma who had 18 points and continues to show why she's our best O player by far. 4-9 from three and accurate inside the arc. Emma getting 15 points a game now. I would love to know what has happened to Sorelle Ineza played 16 minutes without a point but did have 4 assists. Has she totally lost her confidence very bad fall from grace in the last few games and not getting the minutes anymore. Freshman Carter getting minutes(20) in this game and making the most of them scoring 7 points and three assists. Although Howard came in with only 2 wins they have had a lot of close games against good opponents so really not the patsy their record would indicate. Hope we get back Swint soon and go on a run.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Ladies didn’t play a great game today vs Manhattan. Had a lot of trouble containing their offense led by their center who seemed to be able to do whatever she wanted.

The offense looked out of sorts and had a tough time finding good shots. Emma had an off day. Also Anya plays tough and is physical but desperately needs to work on her shots around the net. She has great positioning but the shots are mostly wild chucks.

I thought Ineza looked better today and Markisic was creating shots (but wasn’t converting). Swint has clearly been working on her jumper and it looks good - probably our best offensive player today. Also wish Knights would take some shots to keep the defense honest. I clearly like Gooden more than the staff does given her limited minutes. Some of the freshmen have moved ahead of her on the depth chart for some reason. Also thought Joseph-Bernard looked good in limited time.

I really hope they show a better effort as they start CAA play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Watched most of this game on Flo and we played too much zone. We were constantly getting burned from beyond the arc playing that 2-3 zone. I believe we started playing women to women after a while and faired better. Manhattan is a good team with size they pass the ball well and create open looks. We needed to make in game adjustments and we didn't until the second half we started to press and create turnovers. Like all of us have seen Swint playing at a high level and now with Anya we can rebound but some of the player switches the coach made left us vulnerable in the post. Everyone in the bldg knows that Emma is our outside threat so she now has to work harder to get good shots and had to rush some shots. Some of her shots were good but didn't fall it's basketball. I believe we took 5 foul shots and missed them all so in a close game this is the worst that can happen leaving points on the foul line. In the end a close game where we got beat by a better team. I also thought they out hussled us on 50/50 balls.

This is a better team than last year and should fair better in the CAA. If u look at current CAA stats Swint leads in RPG and Anya close behind. Emma leads the conference in threes made and was 6th in scoring. We should be competitive and surprise some teams.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So we start conference play against one of the worst teams in this league UNCW not anything like their mens team. We come in with a record of 6-5 they come in with a record of 2-9. We should start CAA play with a win keeping fingers crossed that Coach Atkinson has this team fired up and ready to show out in this league. We have improved our rebounding and our turnovers from last year now we need to find a consistent scorer in the backcourt to compliment Emma. Hopefully that will be Sorelle as she seems to be finding her game once again. GO PRIDE!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

whats going on with the womens game
we are up by 24
technicals all over the pkace
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We trailed by 5, led made 24 at halftime, and won 82-54. We had 6 steals, and UNCW had two players with 6 steals. It must be rare for a team to lose by at least 28 and have two players with as many steals as the winning team. Unlike our men, we have depth. Knights led us witb 24 minutes, only three players played a majority of the game, seven played at least 17 minutes, eleven played at least 11 minutes, and thirteen played at least 5 minutes. The bench played 103 minutes, which is a majority. UNCW does not have depth. Even in a blowout loss, they used only eight players, including one who played 5 minutes. They had player play 40, 36, 35, and 31. Taylor Henderson played the whole game and shot 4-21. She had 15 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 6 steals, 4 fouls, and 5 turnovers. We had more rebounds 55 to 30, and we got an offensive rebound from 58 percent of our misses. We had a majority of our points from the bench, with more bench points 45 to 5. We made all our free throws, but we made 6, and UNCW shot 18-26. That means we had over double their points from field goals 76 to 36. Each team got three technicals, and our recap did not write about it. The attendance was 489.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaDelhwsAc4 is highlights.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

with 2:41 left on the clock the refs handed out six technicals three for each team
I wonder what happened
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

OK so I watched this game in its entirety on Flo sports and I'll just mention how bad the transmission was for me almost as bad as UNCW played. No need to totally rehash what was a beat down by us long overdue of a D1 team not Farmingdale. Some interesting tidbits Coach Atkinson started Fargo over Ineza who has played erratically. I'll let Fargo's stats speak for themselves but she did have 6 points in this game hitting two three's and playing 19 minutes. Maybe coach has found something here playing Sorelle off the bench as she responded with a nice game leading us with 17 points playing 21 minutes. Emma was Emma in this game lost a few points on in and out shots but still hit 5 three's and sat a lot of the 2nd half as we were up near 30 points over UNCW. The second half was played with a lot of our bench with the 3rd quarter being our worst after turning the ball over consecutively maybe 6X Ineza had her share of turnovers during this period. Both teams scored 18 points in the 3rd quarter the only quarter we didn't out score them.

We continued to play our bench in the 4th quarter and basically held our own with sloppy play on both sides. Towards the end of the game we had the ball and there was a scramble for a loose ball with players diving for it. It seemed to happen quickly both sides pushing and shoving each other some of this might have been fueled by UNCW FRUSTRATION with their poor play but nevertheless I thought I saw Onna Brown initiate some contact during this fracas but honestly couldn't say what precipitated the kerfuffle. The refs spent a long time watching the replay and came to the conclusion that 3 players on both teams were involved and handed out T's to those players. There were no foul shots as the T's apparently offset each other. All the players came back out and continued to play the rest of the way without incident. We actually put some starters back in to settle down the team towards the end. Swint had a nice game playing limited minutes as did Anya a rebounding machine with 11 boards and 4 assists. She needs to work on finishing at the rim and her Free Throws both weak points of her game. We'll see how well we really are playing when we go up against a better team tomorrow in W&M. Stay tuned!!
Last edited by triplec2195 on Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Great summary tc. Was nice to see them have a big second quarter and never look back. Much needed conf win to get started even if it is against the lowest rated team. Ineza looked better than she had the past few weeks.

Played well on the boards with Anya grabbing 11 and Baker with 8 to help Swint. Was happy to see more of the bench play including Brown who I don’t think we’ve seen much of. She played with a lot of energy and went 4-4 FTs. Hopefully this will be a confidence boost going forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thanks Pride we put a real beat down on UNCW finally being on the positive side of a blowout. If Ineza continues to play well with the post presence we now have as I've said before we're going to surprise some teams. There has been a lot of talk about freshmen Brown but haven't seen her play much.

Swint has played very well this year so far and Anya as previously mentioned is a strong rebounder but needs to finish around the rim. This team has a lot of depth now just need to find the right chemistry.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

It should be mentioned as solid a game as we had we reverted back to old bad habits turning the ball over 25X. I'll say part of this was just using a lot of players who normally don't play that much. We will need to be better today to have a chance of winning.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=490902 has statistics, and we lead 8-0.

We are 279th in the NET because our SOS is 340th. Our best win is at Howard, who is 257th. That NET ranks tenth in the CAA. We went 13-5 in the CAA in 2015-2016. In the seven seasons from 2016-2017 through 2022-2023, we never won more than 5 CAA games, and our CAA winning percentage was .217 from 26-94.

The CAA is 21st in the Conference NET, which is worse than the CAA is at Men's Basketball. The CAA used to be better at Women's Basketball, but JMU's departure hurts the CAA more among women. The CAA is one spot worse than the 21st it was last season when it was so bad at Men's Basketball.
Wags

Post by Wags »

They held W&M to only four points and no FGM in the first quarter today... only to go on to lose, 48-46.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We shot 25% today that should say it all
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This was a frustrating game to watch maybe painful is the appropriate word. After being up 14-0 I thought we had a chance at a shutout. W&M couldn't even get a foul shot in but getting ourselves in foul trouble eg Emma 2, Swint 2 and Brook Anya 2 they had to sit in the first half. W&M chipped away from the foul line and started to hit some shots and got back in the game. It was a remarkable turnaround for them and went into the second half up by 2. We came out in the 3rd quarter and outscored them 20-11 to take a 7 point lead into the last quarter. We had dominated them on the glass and I think their game plan was to get Swint into foul trouble which they did. She picked up her third then her 4th and sat too much in the 4th helping W&M get back into the game. We couldn't score and had some shot clock violations. It was brutal to watch. We out rebounded them 51-33 and had 22 O rebounds. We only scored 12 points off of those 22 rebounds. You would think that a team that out rebounds their opponent by 18 rebounds would win but our shooting was so inept it didn't help us that much. It also didn't help that again we turned the ball over 22 X to their 14. They had 20 points off our turnovers while we had 10 points.

Swint probably had the best game for us 4-9 for 8 points and 8 rebounds and Anya had 9 rebounds with 4 points 1-7. Emma let us in scoring with 9 but clearly didn't have a good game. She added 6 rebounds and 2 assists but 3-14 2-9 just awful. We SHOULDN'T HAVE LOST THIS GAME AND i FEEL WE WERE THE BETTER TEAM BUT ONLY SCORING 4 POINTS IN THE 4TH SEALED OUR FATE. We deserved what we got in the end. Tough loss.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Kudos also to Ally who generally doesn't show up on the offensive side but she hit two three's and scored 8 points a nice game for her along with 6 rebounds.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

That was a rough one yesterday - gave it away for sure. Agree on all points tc including that it was great to see Ally have a nice game offensively.

The issue i keep seeing is too much settling for threes (much like the men also do at times). When Swint is out, they dont move the ball inside much. Granted a lot of the threes were good looks - they just dont have a lot of high percentage outside shooters. Would really like to see them work on adding a mid range game to their arsenal. They take some pretty wild layups at times (and dont have a ot of skilled finishers), so maybe jumpers may work better. Need to find some more shooting and at this point it think it may need to come from more set plays/pick and rolls/etc. The one one one game and looking for threes isnt working well. I'm sure the coaching staff is searching for similar answers.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The coach has Fargo starting over Ineza and both players seemed to have embraced this. I know I have said this before but not a HUGE fan of the play of Fargo but when u look at her three % she"s second on the team with 44% of course she hasn't taken that many three's 25 attempts to 108 for Emma. We're getting scoring from her of late. Gooden again with a very small sample is shooting 55% with only 11 attempts. Selma 29% and Emma 39%. Emma often has to take a shot with the shot clock running out which has hurt her percentages but she is a 40%+ three point shooter and was last year also. Ineza is shooting 30% not terrible. The problem in this last game was of course turnovers which reared its ugly head and like you mentioned failure to finish near the basket. Anya a prime example of that.

With the depth of this team the coach is still looking for the best chemistry and I like what I see for the most part so far. Yes Pride an embarrassing loss considering how this game started and only scoring 4 points in the 4th quarter. Pitiful.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We don't play until Sunday 1/14 when we go up to Boston to play NE. NE is 0-2 in the conference and 4-8 overall. Just like our last game we should win this game. Need to stay out of foul trouble and limit turnovers. We have such a revolving door of players it's hard to keep a handle on who's on the court at ant particular time. We need to keep pounding the boards and getting scoring from Emma, Sorelle, Swint, Markisic and Anya. Of course getting points from Knights and Fargo all welcome and whoever else can put it in the hole. Go Pride.