Women's basketball 2023-24

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Women's basketball 2023-24

Post by triplec2195 »

Without spending a whole lot of time talking about what amounted to another tough loss we play 3 quarters of this game tough but get outscored 23-10 in the 4th quarter. We really lose this game by giving up 3 point shots and giving them really good open looks. They shoot 13-26 and we shoot 6-16 from beyond enough said!! A lot of doubling down low and just leaving wings open for really good perimeter shots. Emma scored 6 Ineza 4 and getting just 10 points from them is not going to win u many games. Kudos to Swint with 15 points and 8 rebounds and Anya with 7 points 4 rebounds and 4 assists. Also Fargo for the limited minutes with 5 points and Carter who hit two three's with 6. Ally Knights who I'm sure has been told she needs to score contributed 8 points 5 rebounds but only 1 assist.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We lost 48-42 hosting last place Hampton, who was 2-22. Zyheima Swint had 0 points, 11 rebounds, and 7 turnovers. The Sports-Reference Play Index only exists for men, and only man from 2010-2011 to now had at least 11 rebounds and at least 7 turnovers in a scoreless game. It is easier for women to do because CAA women entered today averaging 52 percent more turnovers per game than men. We had 5 assists and 25 turnovers. Sorelle Ineza led all players with 13 points. We trailed 19-8 after one quarter. We got within 3 in the fourth quarter before repeatedly having the ball stolen. We shot threes 4-22, while Hampton shot them 2-6.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah I was foolish enough to go to this game with now only one more home game left. Honestly I think it was the worst game I had ever seen and that's for both teams. A guy sitting behind me said it was like a H.S. game and he was right. In the 4th quarter when we had our little run Emma was being attended to after she twisted or sprained an ankle. That hurt us since we needed a potential 3 point shooter but it wasn't like she was having a game so she sat out most of the last quarter. We played so poorly I don't think Caitlin Clark could have helped us. This is just a train wreck of a team that I really can't see any remedy for. Just at a loss for words. Awful,awful play.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Agreed TC. I was there as well and it was rough to watch. Neither team could shoot as evident by the score. There is very little flow to the offense and hard to find scoring.

Love watching Anya’s energy. She is a very active defender and rebounder, but needs scoring around her to succeed. Baker looks like a pretty good defender too.

Looks like Coach is trying new players to spark. Gooden got a good run today. Just cant seem to put a group together that is cohesive. Emma and Ineza end up forcing shots due to a lack of good looks overall. I was hoping to see some improvement as the season went along but they seem stagnant unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

To put this in prospective Hampton is 3-22 overall
two of their wins was against us
The CAA womens teams after this weekend will probably have 5 teams with an NET worse than 300
that is pitiful
telling stats the team with a shooting percentage of.333 won this game by 6 points
5 Asts to 25 turnovers ouch
sorry this not D1 basketball
Something has to change
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Absolutely correct not D1 caliber basketball embarrassing. Pride I agree with the energy part of the play of Anya but I don't think I ever saw someone who can miss so many chip shots. She can't make a layup and cannot finish around the rim . She makes a great steal in that game yesterday then misses badly on the layup. Very embarrassing for her and Hofstra.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This team is quickly becoming irrelevant losing another game as we played Monmouth who was 11-4 now 12-4 and in second place tied with NC A&T. We are now tied for last place along with Hampton and UNCW all at 3-13. This is not a good team but we have played some close competitive games that we should have won. So with a bunch of seniors graduating and leaving where does this leave this team for next year who already has recruited a few HS kids from N.C.? Maybe more important where does it leave coach Atkinson who in her first year went winless in the conference and now after 5 years with her at the reign produces a last place team? We have committed 5 years to the coach what do we do. Do we stay the course here?
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Yeah - the shooting was hard to watch at times. i think toward the end of the 2nd quarter, they were shooting 5% which isn't going to win anything. I feel the team plays hard but they just don't have good shooters outside if Von Essen. They were also hurt on some questionable fouls called on Swint yesterday which limited her minutes and gave the bigger Monmouth a huge advantage inside. Would like to see what the new recruits can add plus i see some positives from some of the younger players. I think Baker is a really good defender and i think Brown has decent size and can get to the basket. They need to bring someone in to help Swint though when she ges into foul trouble. Really missed a Brandy Thomas type player this year.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I like Coach Santos but I think it’s time to move on after five years little to no improvement
After two frustrating years, I can see Emma Von Essan transferring out
If that happens, it will take years for this team to recover
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:I like Coach Santos but I think it’s time to move on after five years little to no improvement
After two frustrating years, I can see Emma Von Essan transferring out
If that happens, it will take years for this team to recover
Emma is very close to her family and wants to play close to home so hopefully that is enough to keep her here.

Polito

Post by Polito »

With all due respect to her, and I'm no women's hoops expert, but in today's sports in 5 years it's go or no go. This isn't the 90's where you get a decade to build a program. 5 years is more than enough. You either are a fit here and have it on track or you're not and don't.

All I needed to learn is that one of our starting players didn't start playing basketball until H.S. Again, with all due respect to her because that's a heckuva feat, that's also an indicator of where this program is - not going to win a lot of games with a starting roster years behind your competition.

Change should be a foregone conclusion.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Trying to find some positives in another loss in what looked like a winnable game - believe the announcers said that was Elon’s first home win of the season.

Anya may have had her best offensive game of the season - 19 points on 6-9 shooting and shot 12 FTs.

Baker looks like she is becoming a bigger part of the rotation lately shooting 5-7 and led the team with 8 boards. She looked like the best player on the team much of this game playing 26 minutes. Probably a starter next season.

Gooden got a little run in the 4th and had 7 points in 10 minutes.

Not much else. 2-18 from 3 is not going to cut it especially when you allow 74 points.

stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I would usually wait to the end of the year but I will give the years summary now
Our overall record stands at 9-19 and 2-14 in conference.
We are worse than that record. Our OOC record was 6-5 going into conference. $ of those wins were against teams with an NET ranking of 300 or higher the 5th win was against Div3 Farmingdale. Our best win was against Howard who had a 229 ranking
Now lets go in conference 3-14
tied for last
Hampton who is 3-23 overall had two of its wins against us They have an NET ranking of 335
How bad is Hampton.
They played SBU who shot only 34% and still beat Hampton by 36 points last night
Time to move in another direction
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I watched some of that game and had to shut it off. I saw Emma having to take shots maybe even Clark couldn't hit. She has been in a slump and if Emma isn't scoring it's very hard for this team to win. IDK what this team will look like but we need more shooters and more athletic in your face defenders and some kids that can rebound. Kids that can get off the floor. We're a pathetic bunch but we'll see who we bring in. I like that kid Onna Brown she's aggressive on both sides of the ball. I expect her to get substantial minutes next year. Is the opinion that the coach is here to stay for now??
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The women were second among a three-way tie for last, and today were the 13 against 12 seed Hampton, who beat us twice, including 48-42 at us on March 1. Hampton had only 3 total wins, but managed to get a better seed than us and UNCW.

We scored 6 in the first quarter, and trailed 9-6. We trailed 23-21 at halftime. Then we won the third quarter 25 to 12 to go up 46-35. We scored another 25 in the fourth quarter, and won 71-55. Sub Alarice Gooden led all players with 19 points. Zyheima Swint had the only double-double on either team with 10 points and 13 rebounds. Cheyenne Talbot led Hampton with 18 points and led all players with 38 minutes. We play W&M tomorrow.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

That may have been the best game they've played this year - certainly the best half.

Spark was Gooden. I have been wondering (aloud) why she was never getting minutes and hoping today was a major step forward for her and the team. She was 5-10 from the field and a much needed 7-8 at the line.

The defense was great today as well - 32 points off 22 TOs - flipped the script of what they normally do. Also out-rebounded Hampton.

Anya had a vey strong day - 14 ad 7 and added 3 assists along with great D. Swint had 10 and 13. Knights added 8 assists and 5 boards.

Happy for the team on a win against Hampton who they lost twice to.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

they looked good because the competition was so poor
The bottom, four teams in the CAA are absolutely pitiful
UNC, Hofstra and Hampton would be at the bottom of most conferences in the country
Northeastern is horrible this year because they can’t even field more than seven players due to injuries
They have already forfeited a couple of games this year
Regardless of what happens for the rest of the tournaments, we have to blow it up and start all over again
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just finished watching this game and pleasantly surprised at the outcome finally hanging on for a win with a big lead in the last quarter. It didn't look that way after the way they played in the 1st quarter. Carter turned the ball over twice as soon as she got in the game just awful but she would turn it around for the rest of the game. It looked like a bad omen when Emma missed her first four three's and honestly she had good looks on all those shots. She comes back in the second half to finish with 12 points but the story of this game was Gooden with 19 points who played very well. Still too many turnovers with 19, 3 less then Hampton. Thank god we had a big lead otherwise I'm afraid we would have found a way to lose this game. Sloppy passes and not real adept at breaking the press.

A good draw for Hofstra against W&M who I think Hofstra can beat if they can handle the ball and get some offense from a few players other then Emma. Hoping for another upset!
Last edited by triplec2195 on Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWJBdZ82A6U and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9c5nk-dezE are highlights.

Charleston recruits from our area. Jenna Annecchiarico from Baldwin made the First Team, and Taryn Barbot made the Second Team and was Rookie of the Year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We're actually up by 8 at the half against W&M 33-25 which is great except that we were up 16. W&M working themselves back into this game quickly. Only 7 turnovers in the half and 20 rebounds 6 more then them. Fingers crossed in this one. We had a sizable lead in our first game against them and lost.