Women's basketball 2023-24

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Women's basketball 2023-24

Post by triplec2195 »

So as usual we don't get much respect in the CAA pre-season predictions as we are picked 12th out of 14 teams but better then last year when we were picked last. Not one of our players were picked on any of the pre-season teams not even an honorable mention. So I wonder what the fans who actually follow this team think about these CAA predictions. This team brings back 4 of our 5 starters and quite a few players that have experience on the D1 level. It would seem to me that we would should of been picked higher. So I'll say what I said last year we're a better team then a 12th place team in this league. Last year we made a little noise in the playoffs and were definitely playing better at the end of the year.
triplec2195

Re: Women's basketball 2023-24

Post by triplec2195 »

I hope this team plays up to their potential because Coach Atkinson deserves a little more credit I believe with the kids she's starting to bring in here. I know I'm the eternal optimist but I feel we will beat some good teams this year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So while attending the season ticket holder event I actually talked to some of the players and coach Swinson and coach Atkinson. Talked with Emma, Fargo, Brooke Anya, Bryant and Knights. Told the coaches not pulling any punches that its impossible to win turning the ball over 20-25x a game. Coach Atkinson probably not ready for my candidness was very professional and said they have been working on the turnover issues. Also talked about the need for the team to rebound and they feel they will be a stronger rebounding team. I also discussed the turnovers with some of the other players like Knights and the need for her shooting % to improve. She was also very nice and said she has been working on her shooting in the off-season. Hopefully better results with this team as they seem to have recruited more athletic and experienced players.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Hi TripleC
Your posts were looking a bit lonely here.
Thanks for the info. Maybe this will be the year the team makes some real progress. Hopefully they can in order to get you off of the staff and players backs lol.
They should appreciate your loyalty and passion and a few more wins might bring in a bit more support.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thanks Captain for contributing here usually we get a fair amount of input here from Pride 97 eventually he'll get back to posting. He actually attends a lot of the women's games with his wife and sons. I was very direct with the asst. coach telling him that Swint needs to play like her size. For a big lady she is too soft down low. I said to him at 6'3 she needs to be a force in the post and he told me she's developing into that player and still has 2 more years to grow into that kind of player. I'm surprised they were so kind including Coach Atkinson who I didn't pull any punches talking to venting my frustrations. I told her in no uncertain terms that I watch the games either at the MACK or on Flo sports and sometimes they're difficult to watch. I said time and time again you have leads going into the last quarter and manage to lose in the last two minutes. She agreed and said I'm well aware of all these things you're pointing out.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Also surprised that Stu hasn't thrown his two cents in here but everything will start to develop. I didn't mention my conversation with Emma as I believe she's an important part of whether this team will succeed. Told her everyone knows she's a 3 point sniper but her mid range game needs to be developed and she needs to get to the foul line. We agreed that driving to the basket will be in her arsenal this year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Keeping the women in the conversation hoping for a real turnaround year and so does the coach and Emma. https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... w-p1bp9vga
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Posting for the first time this season on wome4ns basketball.
Trip;eC you were right to ask coach about turnovers
It has been the achillis heal of this team for the last several years
One game stood out to be last year.
our OOC last year was a cupcake schedule with a majority of the teams with an RPI over 300
We played New Orleans on Dec 21 st last year
Final score was 64-60 OT win
That was the good news
This game had Dr Neismeth rolling in the grave
teams had 41Fgs made but combined for a whopping 64 combined turnovers
We made 20 FGs but had 38 turnovers
Now I am pretty sure it was an NCAA record for women
Found out that Manhattan mens team once had 40 turnovers in a game
I want to see less than 15 turnovers a game
I dont think that is asking too much
Let me look at their OOC schedule this year and I will be back
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Ok did my research
This years ooc as a record of 147-155 and an avg RPI of 238
much improved over last year
No complaints
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:22 pm I said time and time again you have leads going into the last quarter and manage to lose in the last two minutes.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I remembered good endings. I checked the scores after three quarters in games that were decided by one or two possessions. We were 1-1 when trailing after three quarters, 2-2 when tied after three quarters, and 4-1 when leading after three quarters. Adding that means we were 7-4 (.636) in games decided by one or two possessions, and 5-16 (.238) in games decided by more than that. I did not check play-by-plays to see the scores with two minutes left, but we didn't struggle because of losing close games with bad fourth quarters.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Like those stats but when talking to coach Atkinson we both I guess talked in generalities we did lose some good leads at times. We both agreed that turnovers were the kiss of death all too often. Especially live ball turnovers
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks for drumming up the posts here tc - admittedly I'm not huge into womens hoops - I did and do enjoy watching VT, I can get into it if the ladies play at a high level - if it's just a bunch of sloppy unexciting play, which I'm sorry to say a lot of women's hoops I see is, I just can't do it.

I don't know what to think of this womens program - Santos is in her 5th year, not much to show for it - taking too long. She needs to show something this season. Certainly has strong experience, dig her energy and focus, but this team needs to do more than just show halfway decent during the CAA tourney.

I want to be supportive, but need to see something worthwhile for me to bother since I'm not really drawn to it. I like her optimism, seems to have boosted the roster a bit, and returns plenty - perhaps they can finally put together a championship year??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So tonight we played VCU on the road
VCU was 7-22 last year
Final score VCU 72 Hofstra 44
Thats a 28 point loss
The good news was we made only 14 turnover
Thats it for the good news
FG%36
3PT fg% 30.8
Ft%40% on 4-10
We were outrebounded 42-23
Comments?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Down by 15 at the half things were not looking good. Stats speak for themselves. When I talked to the coach said coach you can't win turning the ball over 20+ times a game and getting out rebounded. She agreed and we cut down our turnovers that's good news but get killed on the boards. You will not beat anyone when you only score 44 points. Ineza and Emma that's it. I told Ally to her face you need to score and she said have been working on my shot all summer I'm going to score more. That didn't happen. Coach saw the futility of this game and got the new players minutes. She did the right thing. I'll catch their first home game Sunday and I'll reach my own conclusions. I'm positive but this will take time to find the right mix. It may be replacing Knights at the point don't know??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Also should mention Swint has to score as well and play like her size in the post. D optional in this game apparently
Polito

Post by Polito »

My comment stands: It's year 5. That's a decade in today's landscape. It simply doesn't take that long to build a winner anymore if you've got what it takes and play the system the way you should. Lot's of new pieces brought in to address gaps. High energy coach saying the right things. If she can't put together a respectable season this year, then Cole needs to move on.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Hi TC - happy to be back to watching hoops again!

I only was able to see the first half of this game, which looks like it was the better half. They hung with them through the 1st Q and fell apart in the second. They weren't a great scoring team and losing Thomas is a big blow from a scoring a rebounding perspective. Also, with Rosi gone, they need someone to step into the leadership role.

Looks like they still have scoring issues other than Ineza and Emma as you said. I actually though Swint looked pretty good on the offensive end - seemed to be going to the rim strong but finishing a bit better than years past. Also not as many fouls. So important to keep her on the floor given her size. Interested in seeing the new players a bit more - looks like there is some size with Anya and Brown. Not sure if Bryant is hurt - she is listed at 6'1".

Would like to see Gooden get more minutes - i think she could be a scoring asset from watching her last season. Knights is a good leader and PG from a passing/setting things up stance, but hard to have a PG that doesn't shoot much given their scoring challenges. I have high hopes from Emma for her Sophomore year .
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hey Pride good to see you posting again. I'm going to catch the Sunday game hopefully we get our first win. I think they turn Emma loose this year. I met her at the season ticket event as my granddaughter wanted a picture with her. We talked a while she seemed shy but did say that she worked on her mid range game and after I mentioned she needs to take it to the basket and get to the foul line more. She agreed. I think the JC college transfer will help us offensively she had 6 points in that VCU game. I've said it before that Swint needs to play like a beast down low. Also we need a PG that scores and I told Ally this that night. We'll see
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://gohofstra.com/news/2023/11/12/w ... rtime.aspx is titled "Swint Records 21 Rebounds, Hofstra Outlasts Wagner in Overtime." We led by 15 in the second quarter, and by 10 at halftime. Wagner went on a 23-4 run in the third quarter to go up 8, and they led 38-33 after the quarter. We trailed until Sorelle Ineza's three with 36 seconds left made it 43-43. Wagner missed, and we called timeout with 8 seconds left, but did not shoot. In overtime, we went down 1, up 3, down 1, and Brooke Anya made the winning shot with 1:40 left. Wagner made 2 free throws with 2:00 left, and did not score after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CEYc_ge7pY is highlights.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Was at this game and it was ugly in the 2nd half. We played fairly well in the 1st half and created turnovers but really missed some easy shots. I was really happy to see Swint dominating down low and she had also 4 blocks and 5 steals to go along with her 21 rebounds. I've been waiting a long time for her to use her size to dominate and maybe this will be her breakout game to become this dominant player in the post. Others worth mentioning are Brooke Anya who had 11 rebounds and 10 points who really helped us dominate the boards. We had 15 more rebounds and we should of won this game by a large margin but our awful shooting kept this game close along with our 19 turnovers. Selma Markisic also played well in the first half showing a surprising amount of quickness for someone who was injured and hadn't played in a long time. Both Ineza and Emma had off games shooting especially Emma who shoots the three over 40% she shot 0-7 from beyond the arc, never saw her miss this many three's.

Coach Atkinson really needs to work with this team in breaking the full court press as this helped Wagner get back in the game. This hurt us a lot last year as well. We were in total disarray whenever they pressed us full court which you would think we had practiced this to death. A win is a win but an ugly one today.