stuball888

Re: Women's basketball 2023-24

Post by stuball888 »

TripleC back to the game against Wagner
We were lucky to come out on top
Wagner might be the weakest team in the metro area
Yes, we scored 51 points but we needed overtime to accomplish that
This is still the gang that can shoot straight
The problem is we need to have almost everyone on the court. Give us their A game
Well, we did get good games from Swint and Markakis, our three main guards could not hit the broadside of a barn
Now to be fair, it’s only the first game, but we need to see improvement this year or we must go in a different direction
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Well Stu we have watched this all unfold before. I'll say this Emma shot over 40% from downtown last year she's not going to have another 0-7 night. She's just too good a shooter. Our rebounding APPEARS to be vastly improved with Swint playing with a definite purpose and Brooke Anya looking like a good get for us. We still have tons of issues breaking the press which I would imagine a lot of teams will be using against us. Ally Knights does a nice job handling the rock but doesn't/can't shoot. The entire team got in this game at one time or another. Onna Brown freshman played 1 minute and picked up 2 fouls in 1 minute. True that Wagner looks like a bad team. Missed wide open three's on a few occasions and played poorly overall.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We play Delaware State today at 11:30 a real odd ball game and time. This team needs to limit turnovers and play a strong game against a very weak opponent. So we'll see how the staff made adjustments after a mediocre performance vs Wagner.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We trailed 35-33 at halftime, and won 66-53. Emma Von Essen (14) and Zyheima Swint (12) scored double-digits, and four players scored 8. It is probably the first time in a long time that we had at least six players score at least 8 points. Swint played 17 minutes, did not miss a shot, and led all players with 8 rebounds. Delaware State made one-third of their field goals. The next game is at Sacred Heart on Sunday at 2:00 P.M.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Imagine 1,400+ fans at a women's game and a lot of them screaming kids. A big boost for the ladies but it didn't help them in the first half down by 2. I stayed for the 1st half but it was a pretty ugly half highlighted by our bad defense. I should have stayed as we came out in the 3rd quarter and outscored D State 23-11 to help put it away. We also outscored them 10-7 in the 4th quarter. We continue to turn the ball over way too much 21x to there 18x. They scored 24 points off of our turnovers. Thank God for our bench scoring some points otherwise this could have been an embarrassing loss to a team that hasn't won yet. Contributions from Markisic who has been playing well after not having played in a while and Tionna Baker 8 points.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

by the way, Triple C, we played Delaware State today instead of South Carolina State
Either way Delaware State is not a good team
This is a game that should be a good test for a younger place
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thanks for correcting me Stu had a senior moment and watched a half of this debacle. I already corrected myself. I missed the best part of this game the 2nd half lol. I was sitting in section 113 right behind our bench and for all the years I've been watching HU basketball I've never sat over there. Tyler Thomas showed up with a basketball and I guess he didn't get the memo that a woman's game was going on. I'm assuming he was going to get some practice in so I guess he went to the practice gym.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Here is hoping Danielle can find the right combo of players who can put the ball thru the hoop
I think Swint needs some help down low
We cant put all the rebounding blocking shots and inside scoring just on her
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Swint is fine right now playing more like the size she's. She has help from Brooke Anya who is a bulky type board banger and who also can score. They need to get scoring and ball handling and Markisic has helped them in the first few games. One of my biggest pet peeves is having a point guard that doesn't score. She really isn't a good shooter but can dish. The opposing teams lay off her and double up on the scorers. They have more depth on this team so we'll see how it unfolds.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We're down 21-12 after the 1st quarter against Sacred Heart. SHU is a good looking team that won the NEC last year and their 1st NCAA game. We need to play better D and of course score more to try to stay in this game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Down by 14 points we come back in the 2nd quarter I thought Swint again playing tough with a lot of rebounds but only a few points. We cleaned up our D and got some stops and turnovers 30-26 at the half down by 4. Emma leads us with 10 points so far. Bryant getting her first minutes coming off an injury and helped us with her size.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So I actually have to give this team credit for playing a gritty tough game against a SHU team that went to the NCAA last year and beat Southern U in a play in game before they had to wake up and face Stanford. We got scoring in this game 20 from Ineza and 17 from Emma. They rebounded like animals both Swint 12 boards 2 blocks and 10 points and also Anya 10 rebounds 2 assists and a block 3 points. Brooke is tough and shows why she starts on this team. We had 44 rebounds 20 O rebounds that led to 2nd chance points 15. Ally Knights finally threw some shots up and a few went in imagine that 6 points 4 boards and 4 assists. Close game right to the end where one better pass a free throw would have been helpful.WE had the last possession with 7.1 seconds left and had time to get off a shot but just didn't shoot??? Bad last possession. I believe we're making progress.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The score was 63-60. The next game is hosting New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) on Saturday ar 2:00 P.M.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Today we play NJIT at 2 they come in at 4-2 while we're 2-2. We're playing better rebounding well(12 rpg from Swint and 7.5 from Anya) and getting scoring from both Ineza and Emma. Sorelle scoring 13ppg and Emma 12.3. Swint 8.8 and Anya 7 a game. Hopefully we get over .500 today and go on a run.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

With 5 seconds left, Janaia Fargo stole the ball, was fouled, and made the first free throw to go up 66-65. After a miss, NJIT got the rebound, but Brooke Anya stole it, got fouled, and made the first free throw for the final score of 67-65. Fargo scored 6, and Anya scored 14. Sorelle Ineza led all players with 19 by shooting 6-20 from threes 2-5, twos 4-15, and free throws 5-5. We shot .383. Anya had 4 blocks, and NJIT had a player with 4 blocks and a player with 3 blocks. Anya tied NJIT's Trinity Williams for the most rebounds with 8, and Williams had 18 points and 4 blocks. Williams gave NJIT their first lead with 5:55 left. Our 7 blocks were our most since January 30, 2021. We won our last eight nonconference home games.

The next game is Tuesday at 5:00 P.M. at Army West Point on ESPN Plus.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I was at this game and we were leading almost the entire game but the score was relatively close. I think our biggest lead was 9 in the 2nd half and it seemed at any given moment we could blow this game open. They pressed us and we turned it over giving them some easy buckets. They eventually tied the game and took the lead but we were able to get it back but it was a 1 point game either way down the stretch. As Evan has already said Sorelle lead all scorers with 19 points but had to take 20 shots. Not a real efficient game for her and at times in the last 2 minutes or so she made bad offensive choices turned the ball over and missed some shots badly. This is my major pet peeve with her not sharing the ball enough and trying to take the game over by herself. Anya overall played tough and gave us rebounding that we desperately needed and also 14 points 6 from the foul line. At times she missed some easy shots but an overall strong came for her. Swint only played 22 minutes being in foul trouble a lot of the game. She actually hit a couple of mid range jump shots and she is playing better then last year. She had 8 points. Emma had a solid game scoring 13 points with 4 rebounds and 3 assists 4-9, 3-7 from three. She did miss a couple of three's at the end of the game that could have iced this game but played well on both sides of the ball.

We used 12 players in this game the only player not getting any playing time was Maniya Custis. We have more depth this year and can get some players some rest at times. Still Ineza and Emma playing most of the game. Ally Knights doing a good job handling the rock but needs to score/shoot more. She took the first shot of the game and it was an in and out three. After that she didn't shoot?? We could really use her scoring.

I thought we needed to play better D in this game as NJIT got half of their points in the paint or 32 of their 65 points. Quite a few of those points were close in shots near the basket or layups. We turned the ball over 16X which is better then last year. We'll see how we do in the conference.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I was at the game as well. Glad to see them get the win, but honestly I think they should have pulled away from NJIT. They started pressing in the 3rd and continued throughout and we certainly had trouble breaking it (was an issue all last year). In addition, their offensive strategy in the 4th was to get the ball to Ineza and have her try to find a shot as. tc mentioned which resulted in many bad looks.

Anya was a nice presence inside and her minutes were needed with Swint in foul trouble, but her offensive game needs work. She missed badly on many close range shots after backing down her defender. Many of those didn't even hit the rim?!? If she can clean that up, she will be a huge asset.

Swint looked like a new player to me. Played strong and with confidence. Love that she has added a jumper to her game. It was unfortunate that she got in foul trouble as i felt she could dominate underneath. Also her 2nd foul was an awful call and she should have been on the floor more had that not been called.

Agree with your thoughst on Ineza, Emma and Ally. I think Ally needs to have more confidence in her shooting - would really help to have her as a threat. Would like to have seen Markasic play more - she looks like she has a smooth shot. Fargo played some good minutes. I'm also a fan of Gooden's game and would like to see her in a bit more.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Totally agree Pride about Anya she had an easy bank shot nobody defending and she threw it over the rim. But she is definitely a plus can score and rebounds like an animal a very tough kid. Swint has upped her game and will be a force to be reckoned with just needs to stay out of foul trouble.

Like what I've seen with Markasic who plays with confidence and is quick. I hadn't seen her in a long time as she has been rehabbing an injury for a long time. We have a lot more options now with Markasic, Baker and and Carter which have limited Gooden's minutes to three a game. I'm not sure why she isn't getting more minutes but she may have been injured leading her to lose minutes to the new players. I think this team is better then last years team and more versatile having more depth. Hopefully they will gel and play tough come conference time.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hofstra beats Army tonight 54-43 with 8 players getting into the scoring column led by Emma's 11 points on 5-10 shooting. 8 for both Ineza and Swint, 7 for Anya along with 9 rebounds. We out rebounded Army 41-34 and this has been a positive so far this year. We turned the ball over 16x which I think we still need to work on. We're now 4-2 and showing some promise.