Men's Soccer 2023

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: Men's Soccer 2023

Post by Jojogunne »

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The announcer said we won the Colonial Athletic Association.

https://www.ncaa.com/game/6191530 has statistics.

16 seed Stanford beat 1 seed Marshall.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:07 pm The announcer said we won the Colonial Athletic Association.

https://www.ncaa.com/game/6191530 has statistics.

16 seed Stanford beat 1 seed Marshall.
And easily, too. 3-0. :shock:
Wags

Post by Wags »

2-1, Pride! Let's Go!

Baker in the 18th minute and Carmichael in the 27th minute after UNC tied it in the 21st minute.
Wags

Post by Wags »

45 minutes away from the Elit 8. Halftime, still up 2-1.

6-5, UNC in total shots but 4-1, Hofstra in shots on goal.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The second goal came after UNC kicked it to Carmichael. The other two games are scoreless, so we have more goals than the other five teams combined. Those five teams include the 2, 3, 8, and 9 seeds.

UNC entered with 8 shutouts, 12 games with 1 goal allowed, and no games with more than 1 goal allowed.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:02 pm The second goal came after UNC kicked it to Carmichael.
Yeah, the announcer acknowledged it was a bad giveaway But to Carmichael's credit, he read it very well and stepped in front of the pass to get the steal and the goal off of it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Looked like it was HU's night (and it may still be) when UNC hit the crossbar in the 46th and 81 minutes, but less than five minutes away from advancing the Tar Heels tie it, 2-2, in the 86th minute. I think most here would have signed up for OT going in though.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

if you look at common opponents, we did better than UNC
This game is where I thought it would be was hoping we could pull it out. Still have a chance in OT. Let’s go pride.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Just B R U T A L. PK's are always a horrible way to lose. Man... they had this game won and somehow managed to steal a loss from a victory. Have to say they should've won this - really should not have gone to OT - that's on HU. Can't scream about it, soccer is fickle, obviously a great year, but this was a HUGE opportunity blown for this program and university. Could've made history - up 2-1 with 5 to go man, you just gotta win. UGH.
Wags

Post by Wags »

5-3, UNC in the PK round. What a tough loss. But a great season for this group.

Hate that way of deciding it. Move the goals closer and take a few players away on each side, anything but PKs. I know it sounds silly, but they keep playing in other sports, four, five OTs if needed. Anything that's closer to the real game than simply PKs. It's like deciding a basketball NCAA tourney game with FTs. I guess it's maybe all they can realistically do with soccer, but I would say the same even if they had won, although I'd have been happy to see it.
Last edited by Wags on Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:48 pm Just B R U T A L. PK's are always a horrible way to lose. Man... they had this game won and somehow managed to steal a loss from a victory. Have to say they should've won this - really should not have gone to OT - that's on HU. Can't scream about it, soccer is fickle, obviously a great year, but this was a HUGE opportunity blown for this program and university. Could've made history - up 2-1 with 5 to go man, you just gotta win. UGH.
They did get lucky too though with the two times UNC hit the crossbar in the second half. Should have closed it out up one with just five minutes left but could have easily lost 3-2 in regulation too. Shame. It was there for the taking. Double shame that they could have HOSTED next week with a College Cup final four trip on the line. Would have been great for the program, the university, the campus. But three straight NCAA tourney appearances, they can be back. Just that when it's there for the taking you have to get it because we don't know when these kinds of chances come along next.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Certainly soccer is a wild sport like that, a level of "luck" is a factor. Unfortunately this is only the 2nd sweet 16 in program history - it's not like HU can just go oh well wait till next year. These opps are SO few and far between for a place like HU, you have to do it when its there. Can't be too upset of course, this was a super year for these guys, they played their butts off. It's still a painful loss when you look at what could've been.

Eliot and Baker back are huge, and Nuttall is a HOF coach, they will def continue to be a strong program - really gotta hope others can return - if they lose Carmichael and the goalie that doesn't bode well for a follow up run. But IF they do, or they beef up even better to compliment those two, this could be exactly what propels them!

With no sugar coating or moral victory, this was a chance to go to the elite 8 that has almost never happened here depsite all the great years, have to call it for what it was, this was a major chance blown. Nearly every top seed is gone, this was about as easy of a road you're ever going to get in the NCAAT - senior led team with big time talent, they were setup to win this year, so feels like they needed to win this rare opportunity.

Stinks. I'm sure they are beside themselves. Will hope for some big returners or stud additions for next year. Sigh...!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:05 pm It's still a painful loss when you look at what could've been.

With no sugar coating or moral victory, this was a chance to go to the elite 8 that has almost never happened here depsite all the great years, have to call it for what it was, this was a major chance blown. Nearly every top seed is gone, this was about as easy of a road you're ever going to get in the NCAAT - senior led team with big time talent, they were setup to win this year, so feels like they needed to win this rare opportunity.
Again, GREAT season, take nothing away from them and what they accomplished this year BUT like you said, what maybe makes it the most disappointing is how wide open it was this year. Not only would they have reached the Elite 8, but they would have HOSTED as a 14 seed, something that could never be expected for a program like theirs. They would have had a legit chance AT HOME to reach the College Cup and be among the final four. That's probably something they could have only dreamed of when the season started and tonight, they were a mere FIVE minutes from that.

On one side, 16 vs. 9 and 5 vs. unseeded (so no one higher than a 5 seed in the title game).
On Hofstra's side, could have hosted an unseeded team and then possibly played unseeded Indiana or 2-seeded Notre Dame, which didn't score at home through OT before needing PKs to get by unseeded Western Michigan.

Could there ever have been a better chance for Hofstra to actually win a national title in this sport?

Then again, although much of the bracket is pretty open with the upsets, the way Oregon State got there (winning at 11 seed Portland, 3-0, and at 6 seed SMU, 7-1), that may have been an extremely tough matchup. Still, the opportunity would have been nice and who knows when you get the chance to HOST an Elite 8 game again? Could be a very long time if ever. That's what makes it an especially tough loss. Just have to hope that it can all break that way again next year or in another year soon and that they'll have better luck then.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So now we sit and wait
If UNC gets to the championship game, we have a great chance to wind up in the top 10 for the final seasons rating
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Certainly disappointing in how we lost but this team was AWESOME! Kudos to Coach Nuttal and the team...But OH what could have been!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

All is not lost
This team will just reload
I think they will be the odds on favorite to repeat as CAA champions
Even losing Speel and Carmichael
we will find the missing pieces
Polito

Post by Polito »

Gave myself last night to sulk lol, and I'm certain they are heartbroken at this loss... that's a really tough way to go out in this sport, esp with a first-ever elite 8 right there for the taking.

But it's a new day and I wanted to make sure I say CONGRATULATIONS to this team!! These guys put out one of the best seasons in HU Men's Soccer history with their second ever third round, gave a top 5 power UNC all they could handle on the road, they earned and deserve all the appreciation love and kudos!!

I thoroughly enjoyed following, supporting, and finally getting out to a couple of games - I encourage ALL to get onboard next year and watch this team - this is a national level program that goes toe to toe with the P5's, these guys are fantastic soccer talents, and seem to be even better people. Let's get them even more support and fans in the seats next season!

And as for next year, I am pumped to be able to watch Eliot for another season - this kid is worth the ticket alone. Plus Baker back who I noted I like and scored last night. Those two can anchor another big time winner with the legendary Nuttall at the helm - need to add a few key pieces, figure out who's back and who isn't, beef up a couple of spots, and let's do this again even bigger - these tourney run opps are rare, but with a bit of upgrading this squad can be setup for another run in '24.

ROLL PRIDE
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Watched parts of this game and really believed this would be the game we knock off the Goliath but join everyone here in congratulating the players and the coaching staff in what was a great year and a great representation of our school.
Wags

Post by Wags »

It's tough to think of what might have been had they been hosting Oregon State next round, but let's also remember: this was the first time in program history the HU men's soccer team was seeded in the NCAA tournament. As we know, there are usually steps in sports. You achieve something like that (first time being seeded), then you go a little further another year, a little further beyond that, and so on. This program may yet do that and they are well positioned to do that. But to TCB at home against Yale and to follow that up with being five minutes from the Elite 8 on the road against the 3 seed when it was the first time in program history being seeded was pretty impressive.