Men's Soccer 2023

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: Men's Soccer 2023

Post by Polito »

Right on the money tc, soccer is a sport where it is difficult to come back from a deficit - most are low scoring affairs, so if you're down 1-0 or 2-0 the odds are already against you. 4+ goals against and you've been blown out lol.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

With Stony Brook's 0-0 tie at William & Mary, tomorrow we get the 1 seed with a win at Northeastern, or Monmouth does not win hosting Campbell before we play and we tie. In pro soccer, they often have every team play their last game at the same time so no team has an advantage of knowing what other teams did. MLB ended with every team playing at the same time.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Monmouth won 1-0, so we need to win to get the 1 seed, and we lead 2-0 at halftime.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We are regular season champions with a 2-1 road win against Northeastern
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We dominated shots on goal 12 to 4. Pierce Infuso and Ryan Carmichael scored.

At Hofstra, Delaware and Drexel play on Thursday, with the winner playing us on Sunday. If we lose and the Final is at Monmouth, the time will be made to not conflict with them hosting Football on November 11, whereas if we win to host the Final, Football is not an issue.

We re-entered the poll at Number 22.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Congratulations to Coach Nuttall and the players.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Hofstra takes POY honors and places four on the CAA first and second teams:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2023/11/1/me ... teams.aspx

Hofstra will face the winner of Drexel/Delaware Sunday at 2 pm.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We play Delaware at 2pm
this games scares me
Also its being played on Sunday
we dont do well on Sunday
I hereby banish the Sunday sports curse from the Mens soccer team
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We won 4-1 and dominated. Ryan Carmichael scored at 15:49 and 28:22. Shane Salmon scored at 44:36, which was 24 seconds before halftime. Delaware got a red card at 53:18. Albert Kang scored at 64:37. At 87:30 (2:30 left), Orri Thalhallsson scored a penalty kick with Delaware's only shot on goal. We had more shots 17 to 3, and 7 shots on goal.

Neither Elon nor host Monmouth scored until Monmouth won penalty kicks 4-2. We host Monmouth in the Final on Saturday at 7:00 P.M. It will be a big day for me as undefeated Florida State hosts Miami at 3:30. Florida State is also undefeated with one tie in Women's Soccer.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great work by the men, kudos, now one more W to get this done - love that HU hosts and it's Sat night game - would be great to see a big crowd - will have to see if I can get the fam out...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Confirmed, bringing the fam! A nice HU weekend for me between the court and the pitch 8-) Great day/time, Sat night at 7pm is perfect for our crew. My girls will love it, esp my two on travel teams. We've gone to two Commack HS varsity girls games already this year, and they are fun to watch - really talented team, lots of speed, kiddos enjoy it and see things to develop as they progress in their game.

This HU mens squad set the program RPI record at #8! That's phenomenal, congrats to this group, now go finish the job and bring home a championship!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

With an RPI of 8, we should get an at-large bid if we need it, but we want to win, and we want to be one of 16 teams that gets a bye followed by a home game. The tournament has 48 teams because not as many teams play Men's Soccer as Women's Soccer or either gender's basketball.

I normally like day games, but I am happy with a day game after Florida State hosts Miami in Football.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Monmouth just took Hofstra to extra time after one of the Hofstra defenders pushed a Monmouth player in the box and Monmouth placed the PK in the upper left corner of the goal, where even our 6-7 goalie couldn't reach it. Score is 1-1 after regulation. Hofstra is also playing a man down.

EDIT: Goldthorp just put Hofstra ahead on a free kick. Still more time to play.

EDIT: Hofstra wins, 2-1. CAA champions for the third year in a row. On to the NCAA tournament!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

With 7:08 left, Stefan Mason committed the foul to allow the tying penalty kick, and he was ejected by getting a second yellow. Hofstra defended at the end, as with 1:15 left the ball got past Speel and was cleared off the goal line by Jack O'Malley, who played 5 minutes. With 17 seconds left, Monmouth goalkeeper Eryk Dymora went to attack and had his shot saved. Speel made 4 saves. They don't calculate possession percentage for NCAA games, but ours probably was not good. 19:27 in, Teddy Baker scored the first goal.

The Selection Show is at ncaa.com on Monday at 1:00 P.M. The nearest school to me, Omaha, won the Summit League Tournament. Hofstra and Omaha are the only schools that have ever been the nearest Division I school to where I live.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Will Hofstra get one of the eight first-round byes? Coach Nuttall believes his team deserves one.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Congrats to this team who hopefully will make some noise in the tourney.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Jojogunne wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:00 pm Will Hofstra get one of the eight first-round byes? Coach Nuttall believes his team deserves one.
There are 48 teams and 16 byes. https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/soccer-men/d1/2023 will have the bracket when it is announced tomorrow.

Monmouth had more shots 23 to 7, and more shots on goal 6 to 3. I wonder if that is most shots by a team in a CAA Tournament loss.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2023/11/11/m ... crown.aspx is titled "Champions Once Again; Hofstra Wins Third Consecutive CAA Crown."

https://caasports.com/news/2023/11/11/s ... title.aspx is titled "Shorthanded Hofstra Prevails in Overtime to Win Third-Straight CAA Men’s Soccer Title."
Polito

Post by Polito »

We had a great time! Stayed all the way through the trophy hand out. HU had a really nice crowd, lots of HU teams in attendance, very happy to see the support for them. They are talented and deserve it. Our girls loved it.

Monmouth had solid support as well. We had a few rowdy loudmouth hawk fans behind us who did a ton of trash talking, so our girls got quite an education LOL taught them how to give it back Polito style :P

The best part was when HU scored the go ahead and pulled out the win we got to turn around and say trash talking doesn’t win championships and it got awfully quiet back there! :lol:

Kudos to the team, and respect to Monmouth, it was a hard fought game that could’ve gone either way - 3 peat is super, this program continues to impress. Looking forward to the NCAA’s!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We did it we get a first round bye and #14 overall seed.
We host the winner of Bryant vs Yale
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I watched the Selection Show, and when a First Round game had two teams from the northeast, I wondered if we would be the seeded team to host one of them. The First time it was Syracuse vs. Boston University, and the winner goes to New Hampshire. The second time was Vermont vs. Rider, and the winner goes to Central Florida (UCF). The third time was us. The First Round is on Thursday, and the Second Round is on Sunday. After tomorrow, Men's Basketball has off until Monday, so we can focus on Men's Soccer. The 3 seed we face if both teams win once is North Carolina. 6 seed Southern Methodist (SMU) and 11 seed Portland are the other seeds in our bracket. Long Island has to fly to Denver.