The CAA is now the CAA

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
JoeyBagODonuts1

The CAA is now the CAA

Post by JoeyBagODonuts1 »

Conference announced name change to the Coastal Athletic Association. No change to the logo, etc.

https://caasports.com/news/2023/7/20/ba ... ation.aspx
Hofstra Football. Undefeated since 2009!
HUSID80

Re: The CAA is now the CAA

Post by HUSID80 »

Don't mind the change, now lets see if they make any MEANINGFUL changes/UPGRADES.
Last edited by HUSID80 on Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I wish the ECC didn't still exist outside of DI and the CAA became the ECC instead of remaining as the CAA - then Hofstra could have returned to its old conference name with East Coast Conference being more specific about which coast instead of merely "Coastal." :)

At least the men's hoops program still has a chance to play in the NCAAT out of the CAA (you know, as long as there are no more global crises to keep them from doing that).
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

let’s be real now why the change is made
They wanted to get rid of the word colonial because of its connection to slavery
If you remember, George Washington University dropped their nickname colonials
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:let’s be real now why the change is made
They wanted to get rid of the word colonial because of its connection to slavery
Hmmm now there's a point to be made Stu. Lets read between the lines.
Cards

Post by Cards »

stuball888 wrote:let’s be real now why the change is made
BINGO
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I found the name change to be quite clever, can keep the CAA logo and it still makes geographical sense.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

CAA also saves possible expenses on all the logos on uniforms, courts, fields, fences, banners, etc.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

To me it sounds a bit silly, 'wokeness" run amok, issued by people with too much time on their hands.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oddly enough, I actually like the Coastal name - it’s a pretty good conf name, akin to the ACC.

I would be perfectly fine with it IF it was for the right reason. But it of course isn’t. Stu and Mikey are 100% correct. This is nothing more than this conf succumbing to the extremism insanity that is being forced on the entire country. (Anyone see Barbie yet?? Mama mia, indoctrination propaganda to the tilt)

This has nothing to do with being inclusive of the conference, we ALL know they don’t give a rats ass about that as has been displayed for years. This obviously has everything to do with being “woke”.

At any rate, I don’t mind the name at all, no issue with that itself, it works fine. But so did Colonial. If everyone is being honest, this was completely unnecessary.

I won’t say anymore because I’ll be the one to get warned and blamed and banned. Glad you guys said it first lol. And even I’ll say this isn’t something I’ll lose any sleep over. They changed it, silly, whatever.

Whatever this conf wants to call itself all I care about while we’re stuck in it is WINNING IT!!!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I thought the airing of grievances was only supposed to be one day a year?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Cactus I think it isnt a grievance but just pointing out lack of transparency of the CAA
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

My comment was not intended to be a grievance - just a comment. Like Politio I'm okay with calling it the Coastal. Just seems to me that this stuff has gotten a little bizarre. Like NYS banning almost all Native American monikers or nick-names on athletic programs. I get Hofstra changing from the Flying Dutchmen but couldn't it just go the Dutchmen? Would there be riots in Amsterdam? Just seems crazy to me.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

My comment was referring to the post directly above it that went off topic into other political culture wars and then complained unprovoked about getting unfair treatment from me years ago for doing essentially the same thing. I have no issues with any other posts to this point and appreciate everyone else sticking to the discussion of the conference name change.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good grief cactus… I commented on the name change, the topic of the thread. I responded in kind to what Stu and Mikey said. We referenced the SAME things. They referenced the ‘political aspect’ of this, as you call it.

And yet you gave ME a warning for that post?? Are you serious? This seems over the top now.

Was it my view on Barbie?? Did that offend or violate something? I really don’t get it.

Can you please explain here why I am getting a warning for my post but the others are accepted? I really need to understand this because this just seems like a hard bias against one poster by a mod.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I don’t mind the change and applaud the creativity in keeping CAA name while also coming up with one that makes sense geographically. Bottom line is everyone always called it CAA anyway with Colonial name rarely used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:Good grief cactus… I commented on the name change, the topic of the thread. I responded in kind to what Stu and Mikey said. We referenced the SAME things. They referenced the ‘political aspect’ of this, as you call it.

And yet you gave ME a warning for that post?? Are you serious? This seems over the top now.

Was it my view on Barbie?? Did that offend or violate something? I really don’t get it.

Can you please explain here why I am getting a warning for my post but the others are accepted? I really need to understand this because this just seems like a hard bias against one poster by a mod.
No bias at all. Feel free to DM me to discuss, but I feel like I explained it rather clearly in my previous post.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The men's and women's CAA tournaments are staying in at the ESA in D.C. for at least the next four years.

On the conference name change, I don't care that they changed it, but they should at least be honest about why they did with removing the "Colonial" part of the name. Yet in their announcement, they made no reference to that whatsoever and instead said it's more reflective of their conference reach along the eastern seaboard. That may be true, but that's not why they changed it and everyone knows it. Change however you want, but just be honest about why you're doing it.
Last edited by Wags on Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraPride1 wrote:I don’t mind the change and applaud the creativity in keeping CAA name while also coming up with one that makes sense geographically. Bottom line is everyone always called it CAA anyway with Colonial name rarely used.
You could always tell who knew the conference well (those who called it CAA) vs. those who were forced to learn something about it only in March (those who called it the Colonial). That goes out the window now as everyone will call it the CAA. No one will be calling it the Coastal.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The CAA just added three historically black colleges to the conference
They had to drop colonial as to not offend these three new members
I don’t have a problem with that, but it hot as wags said, at least be honest about it
The CAA’s foot print was larger several years ago when we had the Georgia state as a member
The term colonial was to represent the original 13 colonies
The CAA was always a coastal conference