Mens basketball 2023-24

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Mens basketball 2023-24

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:38 am I'm concerned with all the attention being placed on Thomas that if he gets shut down that we won't have enough offensive output from this team. Of course that remains to be seen but the writing is on the wall for both Carlos and D Stone to up their offensive output. We probably will pick up substantial more scoring from the post with Fritz and Sunday but we don't know what we have with Wilmoth.
This is a very key point. This along with what kind of team defense they are going to play this year will probably be the two biggest factors in determining their season. In recent years, Hofstra has often had a CAA POY or CAA POY-in-the-running top option with at the very least, a Second-Team or Third-Team type of sidekick. As you are implying here, I'm not sure they have that sidekick this year (at least not going in, like usual), and if they don't, that will place a lot of pressure on Thomas, who I think is otherwise poised to slide into the No. 1 option role very well. The two you mentioned - Carlos & Dubar - seem to have to be the key. I still think they're okay if Carlos isn't scoring that much and is mainly dishing, getting others involved, helping to make the team greater than the sum of its parts, which I think he is capable of doing this year at an even greater level than before, but they desperately need Thomas' sidekick to emerge quickly this year. That will likely have to come from Dubar (who has yet to be a Second-Third or Third-Team selection, something he'll need to turn into to become Thomas' sidekick). He was their third-leading scorer last year, so like Thomas, he will have to move up a notch on the list as a reliable scoring option. Hopefully, he's up to that task. Plotnikov could also be a guy who steps up to help out with the scoring load. Expecting to see more minutes and more scoring from him. I think the potential is there off of last year. We know his energy will always at least be a constant. It's November 1st today, so we're about to start finding out a lot soon.
Last edited by Wags on Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree it's not fully clear yet going in... but I do think the pieces are there. Dubar is poised to be a star if he can lock in consistency. Carlos in a similar position if can become a more stable scoring threat. Both are already two of the better players in the league regardless of their preseason selection status - now they need to remove all doubt and become two of the best.

I also think beyond German, we may see a healthy dose of a Barrouk / Parnell usage, those two can straight light it up with their shooting, and I think may be needed. Farmer is my newcomer dark horse to also make noise in the event his number gets called (unsure of how they may incorporate him this first year).

Wilmoth is very unknown at this stage, and possibly the most intriguing - he COULD be an X-factor for this team - he could just as easily be a total fizzle, really 50-50 right now until he can show himself healthy on the floor.

Washington can bring the dependable and trustworthy play to keep things settled and steady. And I'm pretty confident in the D ability of this team, which I completely agree is on the top 3 team requirements for success this season.

The potential is definitely there, just has to be proven.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Still no word on Wilmoth and his injury and his availability to start the season ?? This roster has a lot of potentially intriguing pieces and Carlos is the rubber cement that could glue everything together
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We have spent a lot of time pondering the status of Wilmoth. He certainly could help us in the post as a rebounder and shot blocker but don't know what offense we could get from him but he has been hurt his entire college career with various arm injuries. He missed a lot of games playing for Butler and maybe we need to resign ourselves to the uncertainty of his availability. IDK if his latest injury has anything to do with his arm or is this a leg injury. I forget what the prior posts were but maybe he wasn't going to be a starter at the 4 anyway??
Polito

Post by Polito »

There seem to be a TON of 6'7 guys in this league, especially on the top teams. I think Dubar can be the best of the bunch, but he's also going to have his hands full on the floor. I really think HU is going to need Wilmoth to compliment him. Sure hope he's healthy and ready, or at least will be in the very near future...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

OK so while attending the season ticket yearly event tonite I asked Colin some questions and actually got answers. I kick myself for forgetting to ask about the scrimmage games since Colin is a transparent guy. Myles Wilmoth is injured and will not be available to play until late November early December at the earliest. He has some kind of arm issue which is related or the same as what he had when he was with Butler. So we go without Wilmoth initially and who will play the 4 without Wilmoth? Do people here feel that Plotnikov will start at the 4 or possibly Sunday starts at the 5 and Jacco plays the 4. What are the thoughts re this.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Hey tc - was that you talking with Colin down by the first row of seats, just prior to the intros?? Then you sat a row or two up and talked with a buddy? If yes, I was the guy sitting in the end seat of that first row and right in front of you (Hofstra blue camo hat) when you sat down.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes Cards that was me nice to meet you in a roundabout way. I've talked to him before at a softball game. He's a friendly and open guy with tons of info. which he doesn't have stamped classified, lol. I sit in those seats now Row C that's a shame about Wilmoth but we don't know how long he will be out and whether when he does come back will he be 100%. It's always the gamble you take when you roll the Dice on injury plagued players. Cards do you normally sit in that area?
Cards

Post by Cards »

TC - i sit where I have for the last 20 years or so. I'm near the back of sec 101 on the aisle between 101/102. I'll look for you.

Yes, A shame re Wilmoth.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Big thanks tc for the insight! Finally something! Definitely frustrating to hear about Wilmoth still down and not available for another month, he's already been down for a long time - but on the plus side it sounds like he is coming back and should be good before the OOC is over and ready to start conf play.

I think Dubar is going to need some assistance and relief spells. D-Stone is much more of a SF 4 than German, he's more of a 3 IMO. GP will get housed against good teams at the 4 who have real F's in the spot, he's not big enough. But he's a great size and solid skill set at the 3. That said, I do imagine Dubar and Plotnikov will interchange sometimes as the matchups or in-game needs dictate.

Either way, this team is going to need Wilmoth at some point. Hopefully everyone else is healthy and ready to go!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I actually should have asked him who he thought(knew) was starting. He was emceeing the event so he didn't have a lot of time.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

garyg wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:34 pm Still no word on Wilmoth and his injury and his availability to start the season ?? This roster has a lot of potentially intriguing pieces and Carlos is the rubber cement that could glue everything together
Spoke to him Thurs night at the season ticket holder reception and he is still hurt...gave no timetable on his return...seemed disappointed.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

RE Scrimmages. Talked to some of the players and they said we scrimmaged Binghamton and Quinnipiac....said we beat both of them...mystery solved.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wags wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:26 am
triplec2195 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:38 am I'm concerned with all the attention being placed on Thomas that if he gets shut down that we won't have enough offensive output from this team. Of course that remains to be seen but the writing is on the wall for both Carlos and D Stone to up their offensive output. We probably will pick up substantial more scoring from the post with Fritz and Sunday but we don't know what we have with Wilmoth.
This is a very key point. This along with what kind of team defense they are going to play this year will probably be the two biggest factors in determining their season. In recent years, Hofstra has often had a CAA POY or CAA POY-in-the-running top option with at the very least, a Second-Team or Third-Team type of sidekick. As you are implying here, I'm not sure they have that sidekick this year (at least not going in, like usual), and if they don't, that will place a lot of pressure on Thomas, who I think is otherwise poised to slide into the No. 1 option role very well. The two you mentioned - Carlos & Dubar - seem to have to be the key. I still think they're okay if Carlos isn't scoring that much and is mainly dishing, getting others involved, helping to make the team greater than the sum of its parts, which I think he is capable of doing this year at an even greater level than before, but they desperately need Thomas' sidekick to emerge quickly this year. That will likely have to come from Dubar (who has yet to be a Second-Third or Third-Team selection, something he'll need to turn into to become Thomas' sidekick). He was their third-leading scorer last year, so like Thomas, he will have to move up a notch on the list as a reliable scoring option. Hopefully, he's up to that task. Plotnikov could also be a guy who steps up to help out with the scoring load. Expecting to see more minutes and more scoring from him. I think the potential is there off of last year. We know his energy will always at least be a constant. It's November 1st today, so we're about to start finding out a lot soon.
Don't forget Washington who showed quite a bit last year coming off the bench...he can provide some instant offense.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Finally, an article about Hofstra MBB in Newsday. It focuses mostly on Carlos, who says that he chose Hofstra over Oklahoma State, Pitt, Fordham, and (sorry Polito) Virginia Tech:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... a-lcmttlx2

And, of course, there's another St. John's article.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Like Washington and he definitely has upside. Remember he started last year against Princeton and I think he got hurt but was a valuable player at the end of the year. We will be getting a lot of our questions answered very soon probably more starting with the Princeton game then the Monday game.

Would have loved to have seen the box score for both those scrimmages to see who did what. Why are St John's scrimmages all over Newsday and ours are top Secret info.??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:55 pm Finally, an article about Hofstra MBB in Newsday. It focuses mostly on Carlos, who says that he chose Hofstra over Oklahoma State, Pitt, Fordham, and (sorry Polito) Virginia Tech:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... a-lcmttlx2

And, of course, there's another St. John's article.
Good article focusing on JC definitely an important part of the equation.
Cards

Post by Cards »

[quote=Would have loved to have seen the box score for both those scrimmages to see who did what. Why are St John's scrimmages all over Newsday and ours are top Secret info.??
[/quote]

I think it"s a combo of Newsday and Speedy. At last years event, I asked Speedy about the secret scrimmages, just who did we play and how did we perform as a team? He looked at me like I was asking for the JFK files :shock: Then he said we dont talk about any aspect of the scrimmages. :roll:
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:29 pm [quote=Would have loved to have seen the box score for both those scrimmages to see who did what. Why are St John's scrimmages all over Newsday and ours are top Secret info.??
I think it"s a combo of Newsday and Speedy. At last years event, I asked Speedy about the secret scrimmages, just who did we play and how did we perform as a team? He looked at me like I was asking for the JFK files :shock: Then he said we dont talk about any aspect of the scrimmages. :roll:
[/quote]

I've heard this all before Cards scrimmages are off limits the unspoken law. There's a lot of top secrets around these Sports programs some obviously warranted.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

For whatever reason, I don't think the NCAA wants the public to know who's scrimmaging who, and has instructed coaches not to speak about these practices. Speedy was simply following the rules by refusing to comment.