Men's basketball recruiting 2023-24

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: Men's basketball recruiting 2023-24

Post by HUSID80 »

In today's game there will ALWAYS be changes to the roster...this young class looks like a nice foundation...When kids leave Speedy will likely fill those spots with transfers.
Last edited by HUSID80 on Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

As a prep school player, DeCady is essentially a transfer. He will come in a year older than other freshmen and will have played a solid year of post-graduate ball in a very competitive league (NEPSAC). He should not have to redshirt as high school recruits typically do.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Bingo Jojo - literally said the same to Stu yesterday - and he has a college ready build today. He can play year 1.

But there will definitely be another spot open, the nature of how things work today - can't imagine no transfers recruited after having such great success thus far with the portal. Agree though it's really interesting to see 3 non-transfers so far, def not the norm lol
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:57 am As a prep school player, DeCady is essentially a transfer. He will come in a year older than other freshmen and will have played a solid year of post-graduate ball in a very competitive league (NEPSAC). He should not have to redshirt as high school recruits typically do.
Good point Jojo.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

although as an academic freshman, he has that option to Redshirt
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I thought the school is the one making the redshirt decision?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Believe it's normally a discussion between both parties and a mutual decision. But technically speaking yes pretty sure it's the school's final say.

I imagine Stu was referencing the fact that he "can" RS if that's desired.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

It’s likely that schools similar to Hofstra will start to pick up more and more high school kids vs big power schools. Different sport but, listening to “Coach Prime”, he specifically called out no longer wanting high school players and targeting transfers only. This is exactly what’s going to happen. Young players will inevitably come to mid majors, prove themselves, then transfer out for big NIL money at power 5 schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

That is a really good point da01... I wonder if that's what we are already seeing play out with HU's commits so far - that would be pretty interesting to follow - the dynamics of this may very well send mids down that road... but I do also wonder if HU's current NIL level compared to a CofC for example is also a factor in that strategy too?

I am imagining that they will partner and incorporate whatever NIL dollars are available on a couple of game-changing studs, and fill the supporting cast with development talent. The good thing in basketball is that can still work - it only takes 1-2 real stars to become a champion.

I do actually think HU at least has the potential and is in a good position to work it's way through all this and come out on top because of it's winning foundation and Speedy - they just need the right admin, athletic, and NIL leadership and expertise to ensure they do so and not get left behind - the big question to me has been and still is, do they have that?

The TV progress this season is finally a sign of life of leadership intelligence I think has been lacking... but need to see a LOT more to feel confident this U is moving past their ho hum / aw shucks / just happy to be playing / sometimes clueless approach, and truly understands what it takes to succeed at their highest level for the long-term in today's collegiate athletics.

P.S. the Coach Prime / Colorado story has been fascinating to watch unfold, good bad and other!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We are also scheduling more "Money" games, i.e. Duke, NLV, St. John's. We used to play those games to supplement the program's budget...wonder if some of that money is going into the NIL now?
Wags

Post by Wags »

https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 8630814870

If it turns out well with Williams, it will be nice to get someone good from Philly and pay Drexel back for the talent they got from our own backyard in the past (like Camren Wynter from Hempstead).
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

ProudofPride wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:34 pm Looks like we got another one. I’m not finding much info on him.

https://x.com/prj_lll/status/1709671608481185823?s=20
https://twitter.com/prj_lll/status/1724046045124935734

Looks like he has uncommitted to Hofstra.

So we do still have 1 scholarship remaining as of now for next year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great news on the 2 signings, congrats to the staff, I really like both! They are very athletic and explosive, should be a welcome boost.

Interesting on the decommitt from Jones... usually means either he doesn't see a PT path for himself in the timeframe he wants, or the staff shifted priority, or he has / is looking for a better offer or NIL deal. I liked him as well, but if it isn't going to work best for both sides to cut ties now.

Frees up an exciting spot for the staff to hopefully go out and grab an even better option. Biggest question is HS, Juco, or transfer... if there is NIL to play with here I hope HU is able to partner with their group and land an impact stud. Imagine it will be in the CG/PG spot...
Captain

Post by Captain »

A former recruit Vukasin Masic has landed on the Portland Pilots. In the era of covid he is treated as a sophomore believe it or not. He is probably not 30 years old yet.
He just scored 26 points against Long Beach State with a nice stat line of assists and rebounds.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

The WCC is a good basketball conference. It concerns me that Hofstra seems to get quality recruits then develop them to a certain extent and who then leave. It has happened too often recently.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Masic I'm sure wanted more minutes and didn't want to play PG I believe. We had shooters on that team and he was a freshman. We had Ray,Coburn and Silverio. So he got 13 minutes a game and his shooting % was overall 30% his three was 21% while scoring 2.7 a game. He transferred to Maine who that year had to be one of the WORST teams in D1. They won 6 games all year 3 of those against non D1 teams beat NJIT twice and New Hampshire once. That was their only D1 wins. He averaged 9 points a game playing 28 minutes on one of the worst teams in the country. IDK that you can come to any meaningful conclusions from his transfer. Wish him the best of luck and hope he has a very successful remainder of his college career.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Was thinking more about Manyang, Green, Kante, Marshall, Cramer, Bethea, Silverio, Schutte, Iyiola, Estrada, Coburn and such. Masic is certainly not the best example. They all have their stories and reasons, but this is taking its toll in my view and don't understand what the problem is other than you are dealing with kids.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Mikey it seems like the only player that has bettered his status in all these players aside from Estrada who is a known star is Marshall. This was not a good loss for us but players look for playing time and want to start. He might have done that here but he chose to leave and is doing well in the early going having score 21 points vs Seton Hall recently. He's a good player. The landscape today is such that a lot of players will look for greener pastures but the bulk of the players listed here are not doing better where they transferred to at least not yet. Manyang has not played for Valparaiso??, Green after transferring to URI is sitting out not happy with his minutes at Louisiana Tech. Kante transferred to LIU was that a step up AND averaged 6 points a game for UMass last year playing 19 minutes. I was unhappy to lose Cramer but he didn't fit in here but was an exciting player to watch. He I believe is currently injured and not playing for Bryant. Bethea not playing for Delaware I guess he had to sit out. He did play pretty well for LIU but here he was injured and had lost his dad causing him to miss a lot of possible playing time. Silverio is out of basketball after the NCAA denied his request to play for W Virginia. Schutte I don't think ever played after he left here? He was a medical redshirt for Incarnate Word! Coburn was a bench player for St John's. So players leave it's the nature of the beast but how often do they better themselves??
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

I agree that except for Estrada (have not followed Marshall) the decisions to leave have been poor ones in my view. But each of the players mentioned (except for perhaps Manyang who never played a minute) from what I saw had a decided upside and could have likely contributed had they stayed. I just don't remember the volume of transfers out ever being this high. I suppose its the new transfer rules, portals and the like, but its turning into a bit of a pick up game every year.
dutchalum01

Men's basketball recruiting 2023-24

Post by dutchalum01 »

Put it this way, my daughter is a freshman at Bama, so I’ve started to follow them due to her and notably Estrada transferring there. Alabama only has 3 returning players and ALL 3 of their new “big guns” are from Mid Majors. It’s what I said in a prior post, this is the new landscape for college ball. Schools like Hofstra will start to see A LOT more incoming true freshman while power 5 schools pick off our developed players after a year or two. Our window for success appears to be shrinking more and more. The flip side to that argument however, send us those kids that sat at Bama and want to play. Just make sure we have NIL money to entice them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk