Men's basketball recruiting 2023-24

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Men's basketball recruiting 2023-24

Post by triplec2195 »

It's all to evident that Estrada is a huge loss for us and that we may have trouble scoring enough points to win consistently but it's too early yet so we keep our fingers crossed that someone will emerge to give us the offensive boost we need.
JoeyBagODonuts1

Post by JoeyBagODonuts1 »

If this environment was around when Speedy was playing, would he have spent all 4 years at Hofstra?
And if not, would Jay Wright have gotten the Villanova job if he didn't win back-to-back CAA titles because Speedy had transferred?
Hofstra Football. Undefeated since 2009!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Good questions but sometimes its the bond between coach and player that becomes the bottom line.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, still early - the lack of athleticism is alarming and pretty frustrating - these kids need to move their butts, WAY too slow. Shocked that Speedy would ever allow his team to look like that. Staff might want to start running some speed agility and quickness drills... should've done that already - again I ask, what exactly was worked on in the offseason? I see very little evidence that it was anything effective.

As far as AE's and transfers, this is where NIL comes in. Kids don't need big programs to make a name anymore, in fact it's often the opposite. But these kids want to get paid, and HU's community and fanbase are WAY behind... even on this board people still don't seem to 'get it'. If everyone wants to see this program succeed, everyone better start participating.

The facility arms race is no longer the lead driver in program success - it's still a factor, but has been completely overtaken by NIL. And you are either in the game or you are going to get smoked by everyone else who is. Love it or hate it, this is just the beginning.

What HU's staff has done with peanuts is damn near miraculous - I give them a TON of credit for it. And that alone is work giving.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone hear anything on this ?? I believe if Tomasco transfers out, rest of the roster stays the same, and the two commitments we have stay the course we still have 3 scholarships to offer ??

However I do expect a couple of additional roster changes
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

What r u saying exactly here? We're using 12 scholarships right now with the addition of two incoming freshmen for next year. As of the moment we have 1 scholarship to give but if anyone else should leave then we would have additional scholarships available. If Tomasco transfers then we would have two. Seems straight forward? No
garyg

Post by garyg »

Carlos, Robinson, Farmer, Wilmoth, Barrouck, Parnell, Plotnikov, Sunday, Tomasco----9 scholarship players on current roster who are eligible to return next season plus 2 commitments---Williams & DeCady ---[sounds like a law firm] 9 plus 2 is 11 leaving 2 scholarships to give and if Tomosco transfers out it would be 8 plus 2 leaving 3 scholarships to give
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Actually Gary my favorite law firm is Raiders wide receiver Jakobi Meyers
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:49 am Carlos, Robinson, Farmer, Wilmoth, Barrouck, Parnell, Plotnikov, Sunday, Tomasco----9 scholarship players on current roster who are eligible to return next season plus 2 commitments---Williams & DeCady ---[sounds like a law firm] 9 plus 2 is 11 leaving 2 scholarships to give and if Tomosco transfers out it would be 8 plus 2 leaving 3 scholarships to give
So what happened to Dubar??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Left out our best player unless you know something we dont??
Polito

Post by Polito »

Speedy's biggest recruiting job next season will be to retain Dubar. Kid is going to have opportunities, and if this program doesn't get it's act together this year, those opps are going to look awfully juicy.

This fanbase better wake up to NIL and start participating, or this group is going to be really frustrated in the coming years. Players are not going to stay just because anymore guys, this is the era of getting compensated. And donating to the school doesn't do it. N.I.L. Or bust.

Will keep saying this until I'm blue in the face, because most connected to HU still don't seem to really understand.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

If Dubar gets an offer like Estrada did, $500,000 to go to Alabama, nothing we would be able to do to keep him here.
Estrada was getting $50,000 NIL money at HOFSTRA! What do you think Dubar is getting?
With the landescape being what it is, NO-MID Major can compete on that level!
garyg

Post by garyg »

I did not realize Dubar still had another year, my bad
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:09 pm If Dubar gets an offer like Estrada did, $500,000 to go to Alabama, nothing we would be able to do to keep him here.
Estrada was getting $50,000 NIL money at HOFSTRA! What do you think Dubar is getting?
So then this is why Estrada always has a smile on his face and doesn't mind playing second fiddle to Mark Sears although he's quite a good player. Last night watched Roll Tide roll S Carolina 74-47. Estrada a very efficient game 7-11 3-4 for 17 points while Sears scored 31. S Carolina came in 13-1 and left 13-2. Just a major blowout.

Getting back to NIL money though if a school that has crazy deep pockets is willing to pay that kind of money how can we retain any really great players here. This has opened up a whole can of worms and IMO desecrated the college level game of basketball. It's one thing for a school to get the best H.S. kids in the country but quite another to buy other schools players. It smells from the head down. Disgusting.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:52 pm
HUSID80 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:09 pm If Dubar gets an offer like Estrada did, $500,000 to go to Alabama, nothing we would be able to do to keep him here.
So then this is why Estrada always has a smile on his face and doesn't mind playing second fiddle to Mark Sears although he's quite a good player. Last night watched Roll Tide roll S Carolina 74-47. Estrada a very efficient game 7-11 3-4 for 17 points while Sears scored 31. S Carolina came in 13-1 and left 13-2. Just a major blowout.

Getting back to NIL money though if a school that has crazy deep pockets is willing to pay that kind of money how can we retain any really great players here. This has opened up a whole can of worms and IMO desecrated the college level game of basketball. It's one thing for a school to get the best H.S. kids in the country but quite another to buy other schools players. It smells from the head down. Disgusting.
Its happening all over college sports. Look at football, its become a meat market. Coaches are quoted saying it takes about $1,25 million to get a decent quaterback! Don't know where it ends but it end up a train wreck.
Look at our latest recruits, they're high school seniors. The mid-majors will need to go back and bring in young talent, develop them for two or three years and then LOSE them to the big guys.
Maybe the NCAA in its infinite wisdom will let the mid-majors CHARGE the biggies for developing their players! There's a novel concept!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah it has changed the landscape of college sports which is supposed to be amateur. It really is as a lot of us have said the beginning of the end of mid majors schools competing with the big boys and it all comes down to the almighty dollar just like a lot of things in life. Sad
dutchalum01

Men's basketball recruiting 2023-24

Post by dutchalum01 »

With my daughter a freshman at Alabama, I’ve come to realize one thing. Every mid major is now the stepping stone to the power 5. You walk around Bama’s campus and realize we simply cannot compete dollar wise, and this is a school that’s BEHIND in NIL. Texas A&M, Washington, Oregon, USC…. These are the big NIL schools. Not even Bama. What’s that tell you for schools like Hofstra. We need to strike gold with kids out of high school. As I’ve said in an earlier post, we’ll start to obtain more and more kids out of high school, and lose them as they become upper class men. Unless we make a run this year and Dubar gets exposure, he’ll be gone too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Why I've been calling attention to the seismic shifts on here the last couple of years - it's huge. I hate it. Doesn't matter. It's here.

I don't disagree overall, of course HU can't compete with 500k -1M + for players. But I think it's very defeatist to turn that into HU can't compete at all. That's not true. But the fanbase has to wake up and participate. It's not hard. Every program in the country is facing the same challenge. Fans need to give for the next 2 years until legislation comes into play (based on the likelihood per some recent articles).

CofC is doing just fine. Kelsey is actually a great coach and recruiter which helps, but their fan base GIVES. I'd bet my own good money they are crushing HU in NIL.

When you are a basketball only school, meaning no football, then you HAVE to approach your bell cow with URGENCY and PRIORITY. HU is competing with itself pumping all these giving days to the U instead of promoting NIL. They should be actively promoting NIL at every opportunity. Why did SJU have ads for it with Pitino making the plea during the game at UBS and HU can't do the same at their home games? Why isn't HU's collective sponsoring things? Why aren't they doing special things through media channels to entice the fanbase????

I'm sure most are sick of my VT references, and its football, but it's such a similar scenario on a different scale, I think HU can learn a lot. There is NO way VT is going to compete with Georgia directly in $ for example. But that isn't an excuse. They don't have to match them. They just have to be competitive. And that's what they're focused on - and everyone in that community from the Prez down to the newborn fan knows they have to win and win RIGHT NOW if they want a chance at a future. Check out their NIL collective and see how awesome some of the stuff they're doing is https://vt.triumphnil.com/discover

The content is sick, bringing the fans right into the action - and the fanbase is responding big time. They WANT to give to that. And it's making a difference - recruiting is up, program is turning around, poised to take a big leap next year - which by the way will be Pry's 3rd year at the helm. A crucial year... (hint hint)

This is why I keep harping on HU having to have a higher level of success. HU MUST dance. Regularly. Period. And they aren't doing that with no money. If they don't, and if we all don't step up, just preparing you folks your beloved program is going to go down the toilet.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thought I'd circle back on this near the end of the season for some positivity and prediction regarding our two signees so far.

Joshua Decady - Looks like a Uter type that can legitimately step out and hit the 3 with some consistency. Active physical player on both ends, great size, a versatile PF, can finish above the rim, around the rim, and 22+ feet from the rim. And he plays some assertive powerful defense, which we desperately need in that role.

Amir Williams - Depending on his true size, which I'm hoping is 6'5-6'6, possible Stormin Norman vibes - I think this kid could turn into our next star wing. Top 10 player in PA, playing for a superior championship program, and he's got all the tools to be an all-conf player with some of the normal college maturity time. Plenty of 3 power, hits the pull up jumper, drives and cuts, can rise up above, handles the rock, and is an eager and skilled defender.

Excited for them both and I think they both have BIG upsides and have only scratched the surface of their talent. Very athletic players, something lacking this year, and I think HU got two impact guys that are going to be felt in the CAA. Going to need a couple more, esp if Dubar exits!