MBB Schedule 2023-2024

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraPride1

Re: MBB Schedule 2023-2024

Post by HofstraPride1 »

EvanJ wrote:
HofstraPride1 wrote:
EvanJ wrote: If Hofstra ever plays at Nebraska, Creighton, Omaha (Summit League), Drake (Missouri Valley), Kansas City (Summit League), Kansas, or Kansas State, I might go, albeit I don't want to go to a game where everybody else is rooting for a top team in a blowout win over Hofstra. That's not just for Men's Soccer. If Hofstra is good at Women's Basketball, Men's Soccer, Women's Soccer, or Baseball and plays at one of those teams, I might go. I won't go as far as Saint Louis just to see Hofstra. Google Maps says their arena is 6:33 away from me. I just checked Nebraska's schedule, and they will host Stony Brook, so I want to go and root for Stony Brook. I've never gone to a game between a CAA team other than Hofstra and a team not in the CAA.
I hope you are joking about rooting for Stony Brook! That would be like an Ohio State fan rooting for Michigan. They have always been the enemy and now even more so that they are in our conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I root for other teams in the area secondarily in several sports. I am a Giants fan, but I root for the Jets secondarily, and I root against New England more than anybody in the Giants division. I am a Yankees fan, and I root for the Mets secondarily. I am a Knicks fan, and I don't root for or against the Nets. I am an Islanders fan, and I root against the Rangers. I am a Red Bulls fan, and I root against NYCFC. I don't want the teams I root for secondarily to be better than the teams I root for primarily. From living in New York, living in Nebraska, where people I know went, and two schools that I do not remember why I started rooting for them, I root for ten Division I teams. For most of them I know little to no players, and rooting for them doesn't mean much more than checking their scores and standings. I'll watch Hofstra Men's Basketball whether the team is good or bad, and how much I root for other teams depends on how good they are. In Men's Basketball, I'm not expecting Stony Brook to win the CAA any time soon to get more coverage than Hofstra.
JoeyBagODonuts1 wrote: All this is true, but we should be rooting for other CAA teams when they play strong OOC opponents, as those kinds of wins help the conference RPI as a whole.
College is the opposite of pros. In pro leagues, you want the other teams in your division to lose to teams in other divisions because SOS doesn't matter. In college, a team's rankings are better if the other teams in their conference win OOC. I look at the Conference NET and Conference RPI a lot, and it is not fun seeing the CAA in the 20s of 32 conferences with a lot of teams in the 300s out of the 363 teams there were last season.
dutchalum01 wrote: CAA would have had multiple bids last season had Charleston remained top 25 and lost in tournament. We need this conference to improve, and I’m for cheering conference members on against other power 5 or upper mids, just not SB. Lol
I don't think Charleston would have gotten an at-large bid. Wanting an at-large bid from a bad conference is being guilty until proven innocent.

I'm happy for any wins CAA teams get against teams in top conferences because I don't expect there to be many.
I understand rooting for other CAA teams to get big non-league wins but not Stony Brook which is our chief rival. You know Michigan fans aren’t rooting for Ohio State to get big OOC wins or Alabama fans with Auburn, etc. so I take same approach with Stony Brook.

dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

EvanJ wrote:
HofstraPride1 wrote:
EvanJ wrote: If Hofstra ever plays at Nebraska, Creighton, Omaha (Summit League), Drake (Missouri Valley), Kansas City (Summit League), Kansas, or Kansas State, I might go, albeit I don't want to go to a game where everybody else is rooting for a top team in a blowout win over Hofstra. That's not just for Men's Soccer. If Hofstra is good at Women's Basketball, Men's Soccer, Women's Soccer, or Baseball and plays at one of those teams, I might go. I won't go as far as Saint Louis just to see Hofstra. Google Maps says their arena is 6:33 away from me. I just checked Nebraska's schedule, and they will host Stony Brook, so I want to go and root for Stony Brook. I've never gone to a game between a CAA team other than Hofstra and a team not in the CAA.
I hope you are joking about rooting for Stony Brook! That would be like an Ohio State fan rooting for Michigan. They have always been the enemy and now even more so that they are in our conference.

I root for other teams in the area secondarily in several sports. I am a Giants fan, but I root for the Jets secondarily, and I root against New England more than anybody in the Giants division. I am a Yankees fan, and I root for the Mets secondarily. I am a Knicks fan, and I don't root for or against the Nets. I am an Islanders fan, and I root against the Rangers. I am a Red Bulls fan, and I root against NYCFC. I don't want the teams I root for secondarily to be better than the teams I root for primarily. From living in New York, living in Nebraska, where people I know went, and two schools that I do not remember why I started rooting for them, I root for ten Division I teams. For most of them I know little to no players, and rooting for them doesn't mean much more than checking their scores and standings. I'll watch Hofstra Men's Basketball whether the team is good or bad, and how much I root for other teams depends on how good they are. In Men's Basketball, I'm not expecting Stony Brook to win the CAA any time soon to get more coverage than Hofstra.
JoeyBagODonuts1 wrote: All this is true, but we should be rooting for other CAA teams when they play strong OOC opponents, as those kinds of wins help the conference RPI as a whole.
College is the opposite of pros. In pro leagues, you want the other teams in your division to lose to teams in other divisions because SOS doesn't matter. In college, a team's rankings are better if the other teams in their conference win OOC. I look at the Conference NET and Conference RPI a lot, and it is not fun seeing the CAA in the 20s of 32 conferences with a lot of teams in the 300s out of the 363 teams there were last season.
dutchalum01 wrote: CAA would have had multiple bids last season had Charleston remained top 25 and lost in tournament. We need this conference to improve, and I’m for cheering conference members on against other power 5 or upper mids, just not SB. Lol
I don't think Charleston would have gotten an at-large bid. Wanting an at-large bid from a bad conference is being guilty until proven innocent.

I'm happy for any wins CAA teams get against teams in top conferences because I don't expect there to be many.
Had they remained top 25, which they were until late in season, then lost in the tournament, they absolutely would have gotten an at-large bid.

dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Iona just released their non-conference schedule. We officially play there on Dec 6 (and could potentially get them a 2nd time in the final gulf coast tourney game in Nov).

Iona's season opener will also be of some interest.... at Charleston
Cards

Post by Cards »

Beginnings of the 23-24 schedule is on the MBB website. As of today it only shows the Florida tourney and the Duke game.

So USF, StJ, and Iona need to be added -- Any others that anyone know of?? THats only 6 games, which is about only half of the typical OOC schedule.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to the D1 Docket and the GWU websites, HU at George Washington, Tuesday, November 14th. Also, the NY Islanders list a home game versus Washington on the same date, Friday, December 29th, at 7:30 as the St. Johns game. So, the SJU game must be scheduled very early that day, or the listed date is not correct.
Wags

Post by Wags »

https://caasports.com/news/2023/8/7/caa ... eason.aspx

Hofstra

Home: Charleston, Delaware, Drexel, Elon, Hampton, Northeastern, Stony Brook, Towson, William & Mary
Away: Campbell, Charleston, Drexel, Hampton, Monmouth, North Carolina A&T, UNCW, Northeastern, Stony Brook
JoeyBagODonuts1

Post by JoeyBagODonuts1 »

Wags wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:07 pm https://caasports.com/news/2023/8/7/caa ... eason.aspx

Hofstra

Home: Charleston, Delaware, Drexel, Elon, Hampton, Northeastern, Stony Brook, Towson, William & Mary
Away: Campbell, Charleston, Drexel, Hampton, Monmouth, North Carolina A&T, UNCW, Northeastern, Stony Brook
That's a lot of trips to the Carolinas for us. Hopefully I can get to Monmouth (again) and Drexel.
Hofstra Football. Undefeated since 2009!
Polito

Post by Polito »

True but those are relatively easy trips thankfully. And I hope we see more recruiting wins in that region. Embarrassment of hoops riches down there, just also highly competitive.

The CofC games are going to be enormous and high pressure for both sides. That's the conference title right there.

Nice to have UD and Towson at home, never like the W on the road lol. But nothing new, that's the conf. I don't trust Northeastern... just can't believe Cohen got that bad that fast, feels like a trap lol.

Campbell enters the fold - I don't mind them I guess, I don't expect much on the hardwood so not a big deal on the road.
Polito

Post by Polito »

P.S.

dutchalum01, I would love to believe that, really would, but I just don't. No chance CofC gets an at-large if they lost in the CAAT. The CAA just isn't that strong/respected anymore, and CofC's SOS was not good, in the mid to high 100's. They had no significant wins - their best win was VT (at home no less), who sadly to me did not have the kind of year they hoped to - HU had more impressive W's.

I know they hit 31 wins, got themselves ranked, but if they lost to a CAA level team in the CAAT it would've just proved to the outside world and committee that they didn't deserve it.

Not buying for one second that a P5 team is getting left out for Charleston. Now if they sustain that kind of success again this year, hopefully not for HU's sake, but if they do this consistently, then they could in theory earn enough respect. But I still struggle to see that happening. Kelsey is going to land himself a big time gig within 3 years IF he keeps that kind of success up and be gone, and that would negate whatever gets built up.

It's just a massive mountain to climb for an average to below average mid major conf to garner multiple bids in this climate of big money.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Last year the CAA announced the conference schedule on August 16, so maybe they will announce it next week.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Already put in for my season tix :D
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to the D1 Docket, the Princeton, and St. John's websites: Princeton at HU on Friday, November 10th and St. John's vs HU at the UBS Arena on Saturday, December 30th.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

https://gohofstra.com/news/2023/8/28/me ... ember.aspx

Hofstra at St Louis on Dec 9th.

With this we have the following for the OOC Schedule:
1. Gulf Coast Showcase Tournament
2. at Duke
3. neutral site St. John's
4. at St. Louis
5. Princeton

Then the assumption we have an Iona and USF game.

I think that ends up being 24 games plus the tournament and the maximum would be 28. So potentially a few more games and probably a non D1 game as well.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to the D1 Docket and Norfolk State websites, Norfolk State at HU on Saturday, December 16th.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

So this is how our OCC schedule is shaping up. Did I miss anyone?

11/10 Princeton

11/14 @ GWU

Gulf Coast Showcase Tournament:
11/20 Buffalo
11/21 Louisiana/Wright State
11/22 TBD

11/30 USF

12/6 @ Iona

12/9 @ Saint Louis

12/12 @ Duke

12/16 Norfolk State

12/30 St. John's @ UBS Arena
Cards

Post by Cards »

So a DII or DIII opponent and one more DI game gives us 13 games in the OOC. I think thats the typical number of OOC HU plays.

I'm very pleased to see that HU gets to gel and play together for a month before heading into the December slate of games. Not making light of the November games, but the second half of the schedule will be the real challenge!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Can Hofstra play Adelphi as the D11 or D111 game. It would be nice to see Speedy coach against his former coach David Duke and his brother Mike Claxton.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I don't like the D2 or D3 games but for local interest it makes sense. I don't think we played Adelphi or CW Post in a long time. If my memory serves me well we lost to CW post in the 70's when we had our NCAA team with Laurel, Irving, Rood, Kammerer etc. It was hard to swallow back then us losing to them considering the talent on that team.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:57 am I don't like the D2 or D3 games but for local interest it makes sense. I don't think we played Adelphi or CW Post in a long time. If my memory serves me well we lost to CW post in the 70's when we had our NCAA team with Laurel, Irving, Rood, Kammerer etc. It was hard to swallow back then us losing to them considering the talent on that team.
Remember that CW Post is now the D1 LIU Sharks (combo of D1 LIU Blackbirds and D2 CW Post Pioneers [ CW Post had always been the Long Island campus of LIU]). So teams like basketball play at the Brooklyn campus, while football and others play at the old CW Post campus in Brookville.