MBB Schedule 2023-2024

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: MBB Schedule 2023-2024

Post by Jojogunne »

Has anyone heard anything more about our OOC schedule? I believe we may have a return game at George Washington and another with South Florida here. Iona's a possibility, too. Plus the previously posted Duke and St. John's contests.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Jojogunne wrote:Has anyone heard anything more about our OOC schedule? I believe we may have a return game at George Washington and another with South Florida here. Iona's a possibility, too. Plus the previously posted Duke and St. John's contests.
I would think we won't have a scheduled game with Iona since them and Hofstra are both in the Gulf Coast Showcase tournament.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We open against Buffalo. which had a pretty good run a couple of years ago...not sure what their season prospectus looks like for the coming year but all in all a pretty good opponent for us.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:We open against Buffalo. which had a pretty good run a couple of years ago...not sure what their season prospectus looks like for the coming year but all in all a pretty good opponent for us.
Buffalo had a down year last year, their first losing season in a decade, but their first losing season in a decade shows what kind of program they have been over the past several years. They had two great teams (27-win and 32-win teams) and upset both big Arizona teams (Arizona and Arizona State) in the NCAA tourney in consecutive years a few years back. It's what got Nate Oats the job at Alabama. So that's a good opponent for HU, especially if Buffalo is back up again.

Also, a win in that game sets up a potential semifinal game against possibly the best nickname in college hoops (the Ragin' Cajuns) and another pretty good program in recent years. Louisiana had a very good year last season and as a 13-seed, very nearly upset fourth-seeded Tennessee in last year's NCAA tourney.

So, potentially a very good challenge for HU with this trip to Florida.

Too bad FAU wasn't included in this field with the location of the event but they're probably too big for that kind of event now.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks for the updates - I like this tourney for HU... I would have really preferred a P5 or two, or for HU to be in another tourney with P5 teams, but this is still a good one for them with some solid mids in the mix - also very pleased with Buffalo to start. Overall I like HU's bracket, MAC and Sun Belt it seems, and that is a nice competition level for HU to build their chops in prep for the conference.

Frankly, I expect HU to have a strong showing. A lot of new faces, but so does every other team. Course I had high hopes in last years too, and that was very disappointing to me. Hopefully they are better prepared this time to show they can actually win a 3 game tournament. And this one will be a nice challenge, but is 100% winnable.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Polito wrote:Thanks for the updates - I like this tourney for HU... I would have really preferred a P5 or two, or for HU to be in another tourney with P5 teams, but this is still a good one for them with some solid mids in the mix - also very pleased with Buffalo to start. Overall I like HU's bracket, MAC and Sun Belt it seems, and that is a nice competition level for HU to build their chops in prep for the conference.

Frankly, I expect HU to have a strong showing. A lot of new faces, but so does every other team. Course I had high hopes in last years too, and that was very disappointing to me. Hopefully they are better prepared this time to show they can actually win a 3 game tournament. And this one will be a nice challenge, but is 100% winnable.
I definitely get your point that it would be nice to have P5 in here; I am ok without one. It makes the tourney a bit more winnable and we already have P5's on the OOC schedule; looks like at least 2 or 3. So overall should end up with a strong strength of schedule like last season.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to the D1 Docket, HU has a home game with South Florida and a road game at Saint Louis. No specific dates or time has been listed.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I like the addition of StL (A10). Had been a struggling program but recently has turned things around.

I think USF was expected, especially since we played them in Florida last year.

Good find Shadow.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Been a bit since Hofstra was in the building in Estero...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Really dig the STL add! Billikens are a good program with a good pedigree - another strong OOC game.

South Fl was known, but still a very solid opponent at home.

Shaping up nicely…
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

If Hofstra ever plays at Nebraska, Creighton, Omaha (Summit League), Drake (Missouri Valley), Kansas City (Summit League), Kansas, or Kansas State, I might go, albeit I don't want to go to a game where everybody else is rooting for a top team in a blowout win over Hofstra. That's not just for Men's Soccer. If Hofstra is good at Women's Basketball, Men's Soccer, Women's Soccer, or Baseball and plays at one of those teams, I might go. I won't go as far as Saint Louis just to see Hofstra. Google Maps says their arena is 6:33 away from me. I just checked Nebraska's schedule, and they will host Stony Brook, so I want to go and root for Stony Brook. I've never gone to a game between a CAA team other than Hofstra and a team not in the CAA.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

EvanJ wrote:If Hofstra ever plays at Nebraska, Creighton, Omaha (Summit League), Drake (Missouri Valley), Kansas City (Summit League), Kansas, or Kansas State, I might go, albeit I don't want to go to a game where everybody else is rooting for a top team in a blowout win over Hofstra. That's not just for Men's Soccer. If Hofstra is good at Women's Basketball, Men's Soccer, Women's Soccer, or Baseball and plays at one of those teams, I might go. I won't go as far as Saint Louis just to see Hofstra. Google Maps says their arena is 6:33 away from me. I just checked Nebraska's schedule, and they will host Stony Brook, so I want to go and root for Stony Brook. I've never gone to a game between a CAA team other than Hofstra and a team not in the CAA.
I hope you are joking about rooting for Stony Brook! That would be like an Ohio State fan rooting for Michigan. They have always been the enemy and now even more so that they are in our conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah enjoy beating S.B. in every sport we play them in especially basketball.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

triplec2195 wrote:Yeah enjoy beating S.B. in every sport we play them in especially basketball.
Amen! Rivalry is only going to grow more intense, especially if we meet them in CAA tourney.

JoeyBagODonuts1

Post by JoeyBagODonuts1 »

All this is true, but we should be rooting for other CAA teams when they play strong OOC opponents, as those kinds of wins help the conference RPI as a whole.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk
Hofstra Football. Undefeated since 2009!
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

JoeyBagODonuts1 wrote:All this is true, but we should be rooting for other CAA teams when they play strong OOC opponents, as those kinds of wins help the conference RPI as a whole.

I get that logic to an extent but will never do that with Stony Brook! Unfortunately this is not 2011 anymore and CAA not getting multiple bids. Either way will never root for our Long Island rivals.

dutchalum01

MBB Schedule 2023-2024

Post by dutchalum01 »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
JoeyBagODonuts1 wrote:All this is true, but we should be rooting for other CAA teams when they play strong OOC opponents, as those kinds of wins help the conference RPI as a whole.

I get that logic to an extent but will never do that with Stony Brook! Unfortunately this is not 2011 anymore and CAA not getting multiple bids. Either way will never root for our Long Island rivals.

CAA would have had multiple bids last season had Charleston remained top 25 and lost in tournament. We need this conference to improve, and I’m for cheering conference members on against other power 5 or upper mids, just not SB. Lol

The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to D1 Docket and the USF websites, South Florida at HU on Thursday, November 30th. USF
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
EvanJ wrote: If Hofstra ever plays at Nebraska, Creighton, Omaha (Summit League), Drake (Missouri Valley), Kansas City (Summit League), Kansas, or Kansas State, I might go, albeit I don't want to go to a game where everybody else is rooting for a top team in a blowout win over Hofstra. That's not just for Men's Soccer. If Hofstra is good at Women's Basketball, Men's Soccer, Women's Soccer, or Baseball and plays at one of those teams, I might go. I won't go as far as Saint Louis just to see Hofstra. Google Maps says their arena is 6:33 away from me. I just checked Nebraska's schedule, and they will host Stony Brook, so I want to go and root for Stony Brook. I've never gone to a game between a CAA team other than Hofstra and a team not in the CAA.
I hope you are joking about rooting for Stony Brook! That would be like an Ohio State fan rooting for Michigan. They have always been the enemy and now even more so that they are in our conference.

I root for other teams in the area secondarily in several sports. I am a Giants fan, but I root for the Jets secondarily, and I root against New England more than anybody in the Giants division. I am a Yankees fan, and I root for the Mets secondarily. I am a Knicks fan, and I don't root for or against the Nets. I am an Islanders fan, and I root against the Rangers. I am a Red Bulls fan, and I root against NYCFC. I don't want the teams I root for secondarily to be better than the teams I root for primarily. From living in New York, living in Nebraska, where people I know went, and two schools that I do not remember why I started rooting for them, I root for ten Division I teams. For most of them I know little to no players, and rooting for them doesn't mean much more than checking their scores and standings. I'll watch Hofstra Men's Basketball whether the team is good or bad, and how much I root for other teams depends on how good they are. In Men's Basketball, I'm not expecting Stony Brook to win the CAA any time soon to get more coverage than Hofstra.
JoeyBagODonuts1 wrote: All this is true, but we should be rooting for other CAA teams when they play strong OOC opponents, as those kinds of wins help the conference RPI as a whole.
College is the opposite of pros. In pro leagues, you want the other teams in your division to lose to teams in other divisions because SOS doesn't matter. In college, a team's rankings are better if the other teams in their conference win OOC. I look at the Conference NET and Conference RPI a lot, and it is not fun seeing the CAA in the 20s of 32 conferences with a lot of teams in the 300s out of the 363 teams there were last season.
dutchalum01 wrote: CAA would have had multiple bids last season had Charleston remained top 25 and lost in tournament. We need this conference to improve, and I’m for cheering conference members on against other power 5 or upper mids, just not SB. Lol
I don't think Charleston would have gotten an at-large bid. Wanting an at-large bid from a bad conference is being guilty until proven innocent.

I'm happy for any wins CAA teams get against teams in top conferences because I don't expect there to be many.