Woman's basketball quarterfinal game vs. W&M 2/10

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Woman's basketball quarterfinal game vs. W&M 2/10

Post by triplec2195 »

So we're the 1st #12 seeded team to go to the quarterfinal since 2006. Great achievement for this squad who are locked in and playing at a high level both defensively and offensively. Can this FAIRY TALE DREAM CONTINUE? We lost to W&M(4th seed) in our last regular season game by 19 points. Brandy had 21 points and Swint had 15 points and Emma had 7. Ineza didn't hit a FG in this game and finished with 1 point. We shot 2/15 from beyond the ARC. This game will be a lot closer then the last game. Can we go to the semi-final game? I'm a believer!!
stuball888

Re: Woman's basketball quarterfinal game vs. W&M 2/10

Post by stuball888 »

lets hope so
this team needs to be disiplined limit turnovers keep the game in the 50s or 60s .
Besides turnover which we all know is this team weakness we must not be dominated on the boards
W&M is a good scoring team, they dont need extra chances
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I believe! Key to yesterday was the 3 point shooting and defense - hopefully that can continue. In yesterdays post-game, they asked the A&T coach about our 3 point shooting. I think we may have only hit one the last time they played?

Did you expect that from 3? He simply replied - No, I didn't expect that. I think we can say none of us did. It definitely opened up the middle for Thomas and a driving Ineza. Hopefully they can keep swint on the flooor. She has been pretty efficient shooting (perfect 4-4 yesterday). They have had a nice scoring balance the past two games with 4 and 3 players in double figure respectively.

Stu - you hit the nail on the head - turnover battle. Have to keep those down and play a fairly clean game. I think Knights has done a good job running the offense. Need crisper passes - too many get intercepted (but far fewer than before).

Also keep up the defensive intensity. Would like to see Rosi play more minutes today. I know she hasn't been scoring, but she is easily the best defender and the team seems to have more intensity when she is in.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Agree with all this Pride and have you noticed between the three of us we're the entire cheering squad for the women's team. If we bring back everyone next year except of course Brandy even if nothing else changes we won't be picked for 13th I'm pretty sure of that.

I liked the halftime interview of Coach Santos-Atkinson and she was asked about Emma's play so the coach says yeah she's one of the best freshman in the league and playing now with a chip on her shoulder after she was snubbed for the all freshmen team. Lets hope she keeps that chip up there and continues to play at a high level. She started off the game very shaky and really needs to watch all her passes especially the cross court passes. Those r the easy layup steals.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

15-7 us after 1 quarter love the way we're looking and they(W&M) r shooting awful in the early going. Lets go pride.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

we may be few but we are passionate! I know it wasn't a great seaosn, but this team is very likable.

Solid 1st quarter. Von Essen hit a few big shots and the are paying good D so far. Keep it up!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Complete turnaround at the end of the 2nd - Hofstra goes ice cold with Swift and Thomas on the bench with 2 fouls each and W&M finally hit shots and did so in bunches.

Hopefully the team can regroup at halftime. They need to find better shots on offense - settling for 3s or rushed shots at the end of the clock. Swint's two fouls were light ones - would be great if she can stay on the court in the 2nd half - think she has an advantage in the middle.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We get into foul trouble and have to sit both Swint and Thomas. They immediately take advantage of this and take the lead in the last 4 minutes of the quarter. They were in the bonus and picked up points from the FT line and then got some O rebounds and hit a few more shots. We're down 26-21 at the half. Foul trouble killed us in this quarter. Ineza with 9 points and Emma with 8. Brandy Thomas with no points and for sure she needs to show up that and the fact that we were outrebounded 25-15. A killer hopefully we keep Swint and Thomas on the floor. BTW Thomas came back in the game at the end of the quarter coach got desperate seeing the turnaround so quickly with them on the bench. Fargo missed a wide open layup that is just inexcusable I'm dumbfounded. Nicholson with 2 points but playing D. Swint only 2 points also but had 4 rebounds before she sat. Need a better half. I should have mentioned that we only turned the ball over 6X 3 by Knights.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Letting this game slip away we're now down 44-31. They continue to get one rebound after another and get 2nd and 3rd chance shots.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We wind up losing by 10 William and Mary 74, Hofstra, 64
The two things I would most about was the rebounding which they are rebounded us by 12
Also, instead of the score being in the 50s and 60s in wound up in the 70s, which plays right into William and Mary‘s hand
But all in all, I think the team played very hard, limited their mistakes and kept this game close
Kudos to the coaching staff who prepared this team very well
I think this gives our coaching staff another year
So let’s hit the transfer portal and get some real sizing so we can compete on the boards
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

yes - agreed. I think they played very well in the tourney.

Also agree tc if they bring back most of this team they should be middle of the pack preseason ranking.

i think they proved to themselves if they play good D and limit turnovers they can compete. They will need to make up Brandy's scoring as well as get another rebounder. They gave up way to many 2nd and 3rd changes today. They do have something to build on now. Von Essen could end up being a big time scorer in this league. Hopefully she can develop a driving to the hoop game to go along with her perimeter shooting.

Thomas, Ineza and Von Essen played very well over the past three days.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes all in on what you guys are saying. First for sure credit to the coaches for getting these kids up and playing well together and having good game plans. Their O rebounds hurt us we scrambled around to cover their shooters but they got good looks and Casey and Wagner started to hit their shots especially when they got good open looks. Rebounds set up everything for them. They missed a lot of shots especially in the first half but when we had to sit Swint and Thomas that was the beginning of the end. Probably should have kept Thomas in the game but that is 50/50 hindsight now. We don't get much from either Joseph-Bernard or Fargo who seemed to have lost her confidence. As I've said before Ross-Barnes would have been a decent backup to Swint and at times played better then her, Kudos to this team that hung in there and rode the coattails of Thomas in the second half who kept us reasonably close. Relatively good game all around for both Ineza and Emma 17 and 11 points respectively. We were very competitive and have nothing to be ashamed of here. Thomas 23 points and 14 rebounds all those points in the second half I believe. A huge final collegiate game for her.

We should be a far better team next year depending on who we will get in the fold.