2023 NIT

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
mikey75

Re: 2023 NIT

Post by mikey75 »

Wags - I think Hofstra played St. John's at the Nassau Coliseum a little over 20 years ago and was the road team. So after tomorrow that game will no longer be the shortest road trip in Hofstra BB history I guess.
HU95

Post by HU95 »

It's a shame that the picture of the court shows the upper level seats still covered. Would have been nice to totally pack the arena and make it as loud as possible.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote:Sorry we all wish we were in the NCAA but given a win or wins in the NIT I'LL TAKE THAT ANY DAY OVER A LOSS IN THE NCAA especially a blowout loss which has happened all too often to our CAA representative teams over the years. Just embarrassing!
Totally agree...we're playing and Charleston is at home
Wags

Post by Wags »

mikey75 wrote:Wags - I think Hofstra played St. John's at the Nassau Coliseum a little over 20 years ago and was the road team. So after tomorrow that game will no longer be the shortest road trip in Hofstra BB history I guess.
Coliseum, but not their own regular floor, so I think this is a first tomorrow.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

mikey75 wrote:Wags - I think Hofstra played St. John's at the Nassau Coliseum a little over 20 years ago and was the road team. So after tomorrow that game will no longer be the shortest road trip in Hofstra BB history I guess.
Villanova game too more recently

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:
Villanova game too more recently

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Yes, but same - that was at the Coliseum, not their regular home floor, so I think tomorrow is still a first with Hofstra being the "road" team in their own regular building.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Being happy with winning a game in the NIT vs. losing a game in the Field of 68 is like dating an average to below average looking chick, and being too scared to ask out the hot one cause you were afraid of rejection. Yes I am happy with winning a game that we are playing, but to watch the tournament over the past 2 days has been tough. No one besides us Hofstra fans care about the NIT. I would like to win tomorrow, but win or lose, no one cares in the national media.

The students aint coming tomorrow. A Saturday afternoon, they will most likely still be partying from St. Patricks day, watching the NCAA tourney, or enjoying a Saturday. They dont come normally, no shot they come when they might have to pay for a ticket.

I hate to be doom and gloom, but I cant get my rocks off to the NIT while watching teams like FDU beat Purdue.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Cincy 1' - 151
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote:Being happy with winning a game in the NIT vs. losing a game in the Field of 68 is like dating an average to below average looking chick, and being too scared to ask out the hot one cause you were afraid of rejection. Yes I am happy with winning a game that we are playing, but to watch the tournament over the past 2 days has been tough. No one besides us Hofstra fans care about the NIT. I would like to win tomorrow, but win or lose, no one cares in the national media.

The students aint coming tomorrow. A Saturday afternoon, they will most likely still be partying from St. Patricks day, watching the NCAA tourney, or enjoying a Saturday. They dont come normally, no shot they come when they might have to pay for a ticket.

I hate to be doom and gloom, but I cant get my rocks off to the NIT while watching teams like FDU beat Purdue.
500 tickets are free for students. I think those will at least be used up and the Lion’s Den will be into it.

It goes without saying that this is merely a consolation tourney and not the goal. But the last five NIT champions were all playing in this year’s NCAAT. Every coach who’s done that, whether within the past five years or before will tell you that there was a lot of value to winning the NIT which helped with later reaching the NCAAT. And while the NCAAT will always of course remain the goal, I guarantee that this year’s NIT winner - whether it’s Hofstra or not - will be remembered better than Charleston, which despite its 31 wins and CAA tourney win, is already forgotten about on a national level after going one-and-done in the NCAAT.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

You think Texas A&M fans enjoyed last seasons NIT runner up more than this seasons ncaa tournament loss? While I can’t say for sure I have definitely heard a lot more about their basketball team this year than last year.

Definitely enjoying our NIT games and hope we keep winning but the joy I would get from writing down Hofstra’s name to win that first round ncaa tournament game in my bracket would far exceed any of these wins.

I can’t even believe this is a discussion? Are you people saying that if someone said if you win your conference tournament you are going to get a terrible first round matchup but if you lose it then you will get a couple favorable NIt matchups that you would say let’s lose the conference tournament? While no one here has actually said that is essentially what you are saying since you have to lose the conference tournament to end up in the NIT.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Newsday of all papers shows us as a 1.5 point underdog although ESPN gives us a 57% to win this game. I haven't seen a line on this game anywhere else yet. Lets GO PRIDE!!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Wags wrote:
Hofstra wrote:Being happy with winning a game in the NIT vs. losing a game in the Field of 68 is like dating an average to below average looking chick, and being too scared to ask out the hot one cause you were afraid of rejection. Yes I am happy with winning a game that we are playing, but to watch the tournament over the past 2 days has been tough. No one besides us Hofstra fans care about the NIT. I would like to win tomorrow, but win or lose, no one cares in the national media.

500 tickets are free for students. I think those will at least be used up and the Lion’s Den will be into it.

It goes without saying that this is merely a consolation tourney and not the goal. But the last five NIT champions were all playing in this year’s NCAAT. Every coach who’s done that, whether within the past five years or before will tell you that there was a lot of value to winning the NIT which helped with later reaching the NCAAT. And while the NCAAT will always of course remain the goal, I guarantee that this year’s NIT winner - whether it’s Hofstra or not - will be remembered better than Charleston, which despite its 31 wins and CAA tourney win, is already forgotten about on a national level after going one-and-done in the NCAAT.
Unfortunately it’s spring break, so I’m not sure how many students will even be on campus. Fingers crossed they wait until after the game to leave.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I didn't realize it was spring break but STUDENTS are a must!!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Wags wrote:

Hopefully they at least are selling unused student section tickets to general public; maybe the 200 section of the student section will just be regular fans?
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HofstraMathew wrote:You think Texas A&M fans enjoyed last seasons NIT runner up more than this seasons ncaa tournament loss? While I can’t say for sure I have definitely heard a lot more about their basketball team this year than last year.

Definitely enjoying our NIT games and hope we keep winning but the joy I would get from writing down Hofstra’s name to win that first round ncaa tournament game in my bracket would far exceed any of these wins.

I can’t even believe this is a discussion? Are you people saying that if someone said if you win your conference tournament you are going to get a terrible first round matchup but if you lose it then you will get a couple favorable NIt matchups that you would say let’s lose the conference tournament? While no one here has actually said that is essentially what you are saying since you have to lose the conference tournament to end up in the NIT.

PREACH!!!!!!!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraMathew wrote:You think Texas A&M fans enjoyed last seasons NIT runner up more than this seasons ncaa tournament loss? While I can’t say for sure I have definitely heard a lot more about their basketball team this year than last year.

Did I not start what I said by saying this?
"It goes without saying that this is merely a consolation tourney and not the goal."
I believe I did.

But to completely dismiss what this would mean for Hofstra's program - a program that has no D-I NCAA wins and a mere TWO NIT wins (both in 2006) - in a 59-year history of playing D-II and D-I, and how winning the NIT this year coud potentially help the program reach the NCAAT more often in the future is very shortsighted.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Wags wrote:

"It goes without saying that this is merely a consolation tourney and not the goal."
I believe I did.

But to completely dismiss what this would mean for Hofstra's program - a program that has no D-I NCAA wins and a mere TWO NIT wins (both in 2006) - in a 59-year history of playing D-II and D-I, and how winning the NIT this year coud potentially help the program reach the NCAAT more often in the future is very shortsighted.
I don’t believe I mentioned any poster by name or quoted anyone. So if you don’t feel my comment applies to you then it doesn’t.

Of course I am not dismissing what it means for the program. This is the biggest home game probably in Hofstra’s history. I haven’t been more excited to go to a Hofstra game in my life. (Been a fan since 2004)

I would rather have had Charleston’s season than Hofstra’s though.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

triplec2195 wrote:Newsday of all papers shows us as a 1.5 point underdog although ESPN gives us a 57% to win this game. I haven't seen a line on this game anywhere else yet. Lets GO PRIDE!!
Posted at 1:57 AM " Cincy 1' -151
Currently 1' - 150
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Wags wrote:

I believe I did.

I don’t believe I mentioned any poster by name or quoted anyone. So if you don’t feel my comment applies to you then it doesn’t.

Of course I am not dismissing what it means for the program. This is the biggest home game probably in Hofstra’s history. I haven’t been more excited to go to a Hofstra game in my life. (Been a fan since 2004)

I get it. We all do. We know what the real goal is. But as others have said here, now that we have this opportunity in the NIT, let's make the most of it.

I'm sure FDU would rather have EARNED its way into the NCAAT rather than get there by default. But when they got there, they made the most of it. Same thing.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Wags wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:
Wags wrote: Did I not start what I said by saying this?
I believe I did.

I get it. We all do. We know what the real goal is. But as others have said here, now that we have this opportunity in the NIT, let's make the most of it.

I'm sure FDU would rather have EARNED its way into the NCAAT rather than get there by default. But when they got there, they made the most of it. Same thing.
Just being in ncaas is what matters so doubt they care about not winning northeast title, certainly not now! What a strange situation to go into conference title game knowing you already have a bid locked up. I wish that could happen to us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk