2023 NIT

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: 2023 NIT

Post by HUSID80 »

Much rather have a run in the NIT than a one and done in the NCAA...I remember when we beat Nebraska and St. Joe's and then got the home game against ODU...huge buzz for that experience.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HUSID80 wrote:Much rather have a run in the NIT than a one and done in the NCAA...I remember when we beat Nebraska and St. Joe's and then got the home game against ODU...huge buzz for that experience.
1000% disagree, especially with what happened to us in 2020 and how long many Hofstra fans have waited to be part of NCAA Tourney. If we had gotten to be part of ncaa tourney in 2020 I may feel different, but given the nightmare scenario that unfolded we need ncaa tourney appearance asap in the worst way, and especially for younger fans who have never gotten to experience it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Obviously, I would rather be in the NCAA than the NIT tournament, but given that we are in the NIT
I want to see us make the best of it and go on a run
It will create a buzz but more on the local level than the national level
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:Obviously, I would rather be in the NCAA than the NIT tournament, but given that we are in the NIT
I want to see us make the best of it and go on a run
It will create a buzz but more on the local level than the national level
We can agree there! Let’s make lemon out of lemonade with this opportunity.

Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

HUSID80 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Both Jojo and HUSID would remember him.
Know the Train very well. Out of Malverne.
I remember the Harvey brothers. They were both top players on Long Island. Don't think there are any more 6-5 centers in D1.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

triplec2195 wrote:
Hofstra wrote:
Wags wrote:With San Diego State's win today, Hofstra will be the last CAA team to play basketball in the 2022-23 season.
It would have been cooler to lose in the NCAA Tournament then to win a game or two in the NIT though.
I couldn't disagree more with this. When is a loss better then a win in a tourney. This isn't the CBI but even the CBI win for me is worth more then a loss. I wonder how many people remember the loss to Houston in O/T OR DO THEY MORE RECALL THE WIN AT ARKANSAS. A loss is a loss anyway you look at it whether it's a blowout loss or a close loss. Such a stigma attached to LOSING IMO NCAA OR NIT.
Also as far as CBI comment, I hope we never take part in that joke event ever again! NIT at least had tradition and meaning behind it. Regardless, an NCAA tourney bid would mean a ton to people who have waited so long for the moment and especially those who have never experienced it. I’m blessed to have experienced as a student and younger alums get that chance soon.

cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:
PTON_KAT wrote:Evan has noted that HU and Cincinnati have never played each other, but there is a basketball connection linking the two schools. Any old timers remember? I would expect that HUSID80 would know.
Not sure how you are referencing "connection" but I go back to the 70's and remember a kid transferring from Cincinnati to Hofstra. His name was Lionel(The Train) Harvey. His brother Eric was the PG for us. They were from Malverne H.S. if my memory serves me well.
They lived for a while with my wife's friend's father in Charlton, MA. He hosted them at his house for I believe a summer.

Some good stories he told me that I wouldn't post publicly.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Sorry we all wish we were in the NCAA but given a win or wins in the NIT I'LL TAKE THAT ANY DAY OVER A LOSS IN THE NCAA especially a blowout loss which has happened all too often to our CAA representative teams over the years. Just embarrassing!
HofstraPride1

2023 NIT

Post by HofstraPride1 »

triplec2195 wrote:Sorry we all wish we were in the NCAA but given a win or wins in the NIT I'LL TAKE THAT ANY DAY OVER A LOSS IN THE NCAA especially a blowout loss which has happened all too often to our CAA representative teams over the years. Just embarrassing!
Blowout in ncaa would still mean our many long suffering fans get to experience March madness and for that is well worth it! Plus just being in ncaas is house money at that point. CBI beyond a joke so that shouldn’t even be up for discussion.

shbcpa85

Post by shbcpa85 »

If Hofstra wins tomorrow and Utah Valley beats Colorada( a seeded team) this weekend, who would be the home team in the next game?
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

IF the students show up big tomorrow, have a great time, tell their friends how much fun it was, and it leads more student interest in future seasons then win or loss it will probably be more beneficial than losing in the first rd of NCAAs would have been (as much as I'm dying to see them back there).

As someone who isn't an alum, I've never understood why it's been so hard to get a solid student turnout at the Mack. Real opportunity tomorrow to start a culture change in student support
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

daHUPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:So I'm a little surprised that ESPN has given us a 57% chance of beating Cincinatti tomorrow. We're 11-1 at home and they're 4-6 on the road. Lets hope this prediction comes to fruition.
Ive seen a few predictions of us winning - I have not seen a spread yet but I was guessing us GETTING 4 - Cinncy is a BIG team with tranfers from some BIG MAJORS -

Go Davey - Beat Goliath
Opened us 1/2 point UNDERDOG....currently we are getting 1 1/2
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Maybe a dumb question, but since this game was moved due to construction at the UC's facility, is Hofstra the home team?
Wags

Post by Wags »

mikey75 wrote:Maybe a dumb question, but since this game was moved due to construction at the UC's facility, is Hofstra the home team?
Not a dumb question, a good point. Technically, no. So this will probably be Hofstra's first "road" game in their own building (at the least the first I could ever remember or know of before my time). Should be Hofstra in blue (or yellow if they choose) and Cincinnati in white, I think. On Wednesday, top seed Oklahoma State wore white playing at Youngstown State, which wore red.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wonders never cease and honestly I don't care what uniforms we're wearing as long as we come away with the win as some pundits are predicting.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

dutchPride86 wrote:IF the students show up big tomorrow, have a great time, tell their friends how much fun it was, and it leads more student interest in future seasons then win or loss it will probably be more beneficial than losing in the first rd of NCAAs would have been (as much as I'm dying to see them back there).

As someone who isn't an alum, I've never understood why it's been so hard to get a solid student turnout at the Mack. Real opportunity tomorrow to start a culture change in student support
Getting to the big dance is always better than the NIT. But that doesn't mean the NIT is bad, or not a positive experience for the program, unless the refs foul out your star player on three phantom fouls with 7 minutes to go. I digress.

The students? I mean I hope they show tomorrow, but they probably won't. They haven't this year yet, other than that prosaic crowd that came to the Stony Brook game for homecoming.

I think the undergrad population is falling, which hurts. Hofstra's always been a commuter school, which hurts. I think student support is down everywhere, but Hofstra only had good stretches when Speedy was playing, a run from '04-'08, then a flash of support when Charles was single-handedly carrying us in '11. Gotta make the big dance.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
dutchPride86 wrote:IF the students show up big tomorrow, have a great time, tell their friends how much fun it was, and it leads more student interest in future seasons then win or loss it will probably be more beneficial than losing in the first rd of NCAAs would have been (as much as I'm dying to see them back there).

Getting to the big dance is always better than the NIT. But that doesn't mean the NIT is bad, or not a positive experience for the program, unless the refs foul out your star player on three phantom fouls with 7 minutes to go. I digress.

The students? I mean I hope they show tomorrow, but they probably won't. They haven't this year yet, other than that prosaic crowd that came to the Stony Brook game for homecoming.

I think the undergrad population is falling, which hurts. Hofstra's always been a commuter school, which hurts. I think student support is down everywhere, but Hofstra only had good stretches when Speedy was playing, a run from '04-'08, then a flash of support when Charles was single-handedly carrying us in '11. Gotta make the big dance.
Hofstra far less of a commuter school than in past with large chunk of undergrad population either in the dorms or in off campus housing close to school.

Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:

They're giving away free tickets to the first 500 students so I would think they'll be there, but we'll see.