Charleston wins CAA Title

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Charleston wins CAA Title

Post by HUSID80 »

So Charleston took care of business last night against a very scrappy and tough UNCW team.

Would have liked to see UNCW win it for the Auto bid and then Charleston remain in the discussion for an at large.

The attention would have been good for the CAA...Thoughts?
stuball888

Re: Charleston wins CAA Title

Post by stuball888 »

It just goes to show you how close the number one and number four team in the league are to each other. They’re all very good teams alas, from six down, the league is very weak.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

There's something about COC that I don't like but I can say that about a lot of teams not that I like UNCW. We have had our problems with both of them. I wanted UNCW to win then at least I could rationalize that we were beaten by the so called BEST team in this league. I'm just not that impressed with COC of course their record certainly says otherwise. Whoever comes out of this league I want to see play well and represent the conference in a positive light. This hasn't happened all that much. We will always ask ourselves about the 2020 team and who we would have faced and of course how well would we have played. Such a shame!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:So Charleston took care of business last night against a very scrappy and tough UNCW team.

Would have liked to see UNCW win it for the Auto bid and then Charleston remain in the discussion for an at large.

The attention would have been good for the CAA...Thoughts?
They probably would not have gotten the bid. The NCAA committee loved Charleston winning last night because now they don't have to answer any questions as to why they snubbed a 30-win team for the first time ever.

It's a shame that Hofstra never got to play Charleston as one of only three teams to have beaten them this year. But it's their own fault for not getting there. Oh well.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Agree with you Wags, but it would have been fun to see/hear all the banter about a 30 win team getting in or not getting in. Would have been pretty good PR for the League.

Of course a Hofstra/Charleton final would have been ideal but it did not happen.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So does Towson and or UNCW get an NIT bid
Cards

Post by Cards »

Recall seeing something on TV last night that indicated CoC had a SOS in the 320+ range. If that was correct, you could have envisioned a 30 win snub given a pretty easy schedule.

I know HU had a very good OOC SOS. Anyone know what our overall SOS was? It could not have been that good given the CAA conf rank.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:So does Towson and or UNCW get an NIT bid
No way!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I think Hofstra’s overall SOS was somewhere in the 150s
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Our OOC was s in the top 50
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

stuball888 wrote:I think Hofstra’s overall SOS was somewhere in the 150s
Pomeroy has us 242. OOC 20. Our conference schedule was rough.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: So does Towson and or UNCW get an NIT bid
They are way below the NIT. I expect them to be invited to the CBI or CIT, but some teams decline, and I will not be surprised if one or both of them do not play again.
Cards wrote: Recall seeing something on TV last night that indicated CoC had a SOS in the 320+ range. If that was correct, you could have envisioned a 30 win snub given a pretty easy schedule.

I know HU had a very good OOC SOS. Anyone know what our overall SOS was? It could not have been that good given the CAA conf rank.
I use the NET SOS from https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/ ... Charleston which has Charleston 334th and nonconference 298th, and us 179th (barely in the top half) and nonconference 29th.

I did not give Charleston any chance at an at-large bid, and if they lost the Final and did not get an at-large with 30 wins, there might be talk about the CAA, but it would be talk about how bad the CAA is that 30 wins is not good enough for an at-large bid.

By Charleston winning by 5, we lost to a UNCW team that played well against Charleston. UNCW would have gotten a 15 or 16 seed. I hope Charleston plays in Des Moines so I can go.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

No one in this league will ever have an impressive SOS with the garbage teams in the bottom half. Charleston would have got consideration but don't think they were getting in even with 30 wins and no bad losses if they lost the final. If Hofstra had the same record and beat a Purdue they'd still probably be overlooked but maybe that gets them in. So not much of a chance for the CAA to ever be a two bid league as it's currently constituted even if a program has a historical season.
gacoug

Post by gacoug »

EvanJ, I know you like odd ball stats for games and series so I thought that I'd pass along something that was pointed out on our board. With the UNCW loss, Nick Farrar is now 0-6 in the UNCW-CofC series over the last 2 seasons. lost all 3 as a cougar last season and then all 3 as a seahawk this season.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
stuball888 wrote: So does Towson and or UNCW get an NIT bid
They are way below the NIT. I expect them to be invited to the CBI or CIT, but some teams decline, and I will not be surprised if one or both of them do not play again.
I think they both would play if invited, at least UNCW probably. Towson played in the Vegas 16 one year and won two games in the CIT another year. UNCW won the CBI title in 2OTs last year and they said that helped them (it may have even helped them beat Hofstra in OT on Monday).
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes UNCW definitely plays not sure about Towson.
Polito

Post by Polito »

IMO literally NO chance that CofC would have received an at-large bid. They played and beat literally no one - had an awful OOC. Their best win, which sadly for me diminished GREATLY as the season progressed, was VT. And that was by 2, on their home floor.

There isn't a committee member involved that is selecting them over a P5. Just the facts. All about the $$$$.

Should they with a 30 win season? I actually would simply for that alone, despite the garbage SOS - would be historical to leave them out. But the NCAA would. No shame, no brain, no conscious, no soul. Always remember that.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:IMO literally NO chance that CofC would have received an at-large bid. They played and beat literally no one - had an awful OOC. Their best win, which sadly for me diminished GREATLY as the season progressed, was VT. And that was by 2, on their home floor.

There isn't a committee member involved that is selecting them over a P5. Just the facts. All about the $$$$.

Should they with a 30 win season? I actually would simply for that alone, despite the garbage SOS - would be historical to leave them out. But the NCAA would. No shame, no brain, no conscious, no soul. Always remember that.
Agree, I think they would have been left out, and probably should have. You can't just have quantity, you have to have quality. In terms of that, it's really not their fault, just the luck of the draw. At the time they scheduled, it looked like a challenging, quality OOC, but over the course of the season, everything that looked like a good win at the time turned out to be bad or mediocre except for only one really good win over Kent State. Even their first loss, in which they were very competitive - at UNC - how can you do any better than scheduling the preseason No. 1 on the road? And yet on Selection Sunday even, UNC is likely out of the NCAAT field. Sometimes you need luck not only to win but even with scheduling. It's amazing that aside from the Kent State game that all of those other wins turned out to be kind of inconsequential.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

FanSided Bracket has ChARLESTON as a 12 sees playing Duke...the Dukies are pretty hot right now.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Charleston has a good shot but I think this is a bad matchup for them. I think they would have upset more of a finesse 5 seed, but SDSU is tough, physical, and defensive-minded. Charleston is versatile and can win that way too, but Towson physical is a little different than San Diego State physical, so I think the Cougars come up a little short. Would be great for the league though to see them and Hofstra make runs in the two tourneys.