Women's First round game vs UNCW

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Women's First round game vs UNCW

Post by triplec2195 »

So we play the team with the worst record in the conference as we hold the second worst record. We beat them 63-62 on a miracle ending to the game on 1/13 in Wilmington. Clearly a game of the have nots. We pick up 1 award in the CAA as Brandy Thomas gets a second team award. She has had a very good season and if not for her injury she could have been first team. The leading rebounder in the conference. We have surprised teams in the tournament in the past and gotten some wins and this team is capable of pulling off an upset or two. The fate of this team rests upon Thomas, Sorelle Ineza and Emma Von-Awesome and Zyheima Swint if she brings her A game. At 6'3 she should be a force down low and sometimes she actually is but all too often she plays SOFT. Rosi is a contributor especially defensively and you never know what you'll get from the DOWN UNDER PG Ally Knights who at least has a handle on the ball most of the time. The others on this team have been somewhat disappointing. I believe if Ross-Barnes could have stayed healthy she would have helped us and she showed that in the beginning of the season. Expected much more from Fargo and she only showed flashes and both Joseph-Bernard and Gooden played like freshman at times. Gooden clearly has some upside and Joseph-Bernard as well. Peacock and Custis come off the bench for limited minutes. I believe we win this game. Fingers crossed we do what our men's team didn't but a lot easier task.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pride97

Re: Women's First round game vs UNCW

Post by Pride97 »

Thanks triplec. I didn't realize the two tournaments were so close together until yesterday when i saw the team leaving for Towson on twitter. We are still in DC since we had a hotel hoping the men's team would make it to the game last night, so we are going to got to the womens game today at Secu on the was home to support the women. Hopefully they can get the win. Would like to see them put together a full 40 minute game today limiting the turnovers. Think if they can do that, they have a good shot.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Pride97 wrote:Thanks triplec. I didn't realize the two tournaments were so close together until yesterday when i saw the team leaving for Towson on twitter. We are still in DC since we had a hotel hoping the men's team would make it to the game last night, so we are going to got to the womens game today at Secu on the was home to support the women. Hopefully they can get the win. Would like to see them put together a full 40 minute game today limiting the turnovers. Think if they can do that, they have a good shot.
Pride man you're the ultimate HU supporter and great for your kids. The ultimate Dad as well so hopefully you bring us luck down there and we limit our turnovers. This will be the key as in most games. Our guards have to play well and score and hopefully someone passes the ball to Emma. She's a prolific three point scorer. Enjoy the game and safe travels!!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Haha - my wife and I figured we already committed to taking them out of school for 3 days so might as well make the best of it. Get one more game in. I imagine there won’t be too many fans there so thought it would be nice. Called Carla yesterday and she helped set us up.

At least the mens tourney was in DC so while they weren’t in school - we were able to do some educational sight seeing and tours.

Hopefully we bring good vibes to the womens team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

You're making this trip an educational one as well. Kudos to both of you, enjoy!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We're up 16-7 with 3:40 left in the quarter. A couple of turnovers on dumb passes Emma made one of then but has a steal and an assist. 6 early points from Ineza who has been the benefactor of some good passes.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

22-11 after the 1st quarter we're shooting well and playing tough D contesting all passes and looking for steals. UNCW as a result has turned the ball over. Swint getting some points both easy buckets and some FT'S. Ineza 6? Emma 4 points in the early going.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Up 22-11 at the end of the first quarter only three turnovers so far UN CW has seven. We also had rebounded them.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

33-28 with 2:30 left in the half. We had a 14 point lead in the beginning of this quarter. Emma has gone cold and missed 4 shots in a row then committed and an one foul. Ugh
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We can't buy a basket scoreless for a long time.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Now tied at 33 after we turn the ball over twice leading to easy baskets. Awful ball handling and we can't get a bucket. We have blown a 14 point lead.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Swint has 10 points and has hit all her FT's 4-4 maybe a good sign, Thomas 9, Ineza 6 and both Rosi and Emma with 4. After starting off hot both Ineza and Emma have missed wide open shots. Emma playing with 2 fouls along with Knights and Fargo. We need to start scoring what looked like a blowout has quickly turned around. We have 8 TO's at the half. Could be worse. They have 10 and Carrie Gross helped them make a come back. She has 14 points at the half.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

The lead was eerily similar or the mens game the other night - 22-9 vs 21-9. Almost instantly uncw started cutting into the lead before tying it up. Hopefully the women have a better 2nd half in them than the men did.

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hopefully that's true we seem somewhat stagnant on offense. Playing decent D. 42-38 us 4:45 left 3rd quarter.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We win 61-58. Ineza with 2 big FT's at the end to seal it when we only had a 1 point lead. Thomas 18 points 6 boards,Ineza 13 points, Von-Essen 12 points big shots in the 4th quarter two 3's and a driving layup, 10 points for Swint with 12 rebounnds and a block and a steal 6 points for Rosi as well. We turned it over 17X with 10 assists. Making some progress we shot 42% but only 21% from beyond the ARC. Great win for us now tomorrow we play NCA&T. Lets keep the ball rolling here.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

OK now I know why UNCW is the worst team in the CAA
This game was extremely sloppy on both sides. We have the ball with 31 seconds left instead of taking the time off the clock we take a jumper with only 11 seconds into the possession and miss giving UN CW another chance.
Now let me rag on UN CW we’re leading by three with seven seconds left instead of shooting at three they decide to go for a layup at the buzzer
I want to know who is coaching these kids
Fi
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Almost done in by late turnovers again, but Von Essen with 8 huge points down the stretch and long with a tough 2 from Thomas

ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

stuball888 wrote:OK now I know why UNCW is the worst team in the CAA
This game was extremely sloppy on both sides. We have the ball with 31 seconds left instead of taking the time off the clock we take a jumper with only 11 seconds into the possession and miss giving UN CW another chance.
Now let me rag on UN CW we’re leading by three with seven seconds left instead of shooting at three they decide to go for a layup at the buzzer
I want to know who is coaching these kids
Fi
Tina Martin is the interim head coach. Yes, the same Tina Martin that coached Delaware during the Elena Della Donne years.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah that last possession by UNCW a mind blower did they think they would get an and one?? Dumber then dumb but at least that one was not our blunder.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

This is the same Tina Martin that took Delaware to the Sweet 16
Now I’m beginning to think who is Elena delle Donne, who took them there on her back