Unfinished business

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Unfinished business

Post by stuball888 »

So with Hofstra being eliminated from the NCAA tournament does this change how our team will be constructed for next year?
Does Aaron Estrada and Tyler Thomas return due to unfinished business?
If we make the NCAA this year, I could see both of them leaving however, with this team falling just short is this what they want the legacy to be
Will they return next year and try to finish what they started?
So what do you say?
mikey75

Re: Unfinished business

Post by mikey75 »

Stay tuned.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

If I had to guess, I’d say Estrada leaves unfortunately. 2x POTY - he has nothing left to prove at this level. I think he either goes pro or takes another shot at a high major to get more visibility nationally.

Too much to risk on his end for his legacy at Hofstra IMO now knowing how hard it is to win the conference tourney.

Now Thomas could wait for Estrada to make a decision and then stay thinking he will be option #1 next year (if Estrada leaves) and possible a 1st team CAA player.

No matter what they need at least one experienced big. Possibly a scoring guard too if Thomas leaves. I like Marshall but that would be a lot to put on his and Carlos’ shoulders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Pride97 wrote:If I had to guess, I’d say Estrada leaves unfortunately. 2x POTY - he has nothing left to prove at this level. I think he either goes pro or takes another shot at a high major to get more visibility nationally.

Too much to risk on his end for his legacy at Hofstra IMO now knowing how hard it is to win the conference tourney.

Now Thomas could wait for Estrada to make a decision and then stay thinking he will be option #1 next year (if Estrada leaves) and possible a 1st team CAA player.

No matter what they need at least one experienced big. Possibly a scoring guard too if Thomas leaves. I like Marshall but that would be a lot to put on his and Carlos’ shoulders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gotta be honest, last night Estrada was a deer in headlights on the big screen. He scored early and often, but he really looked out of sorts late in that game. I would hope he comes back for another season, but I really do not see that happening. I dont see a point for him to go to a high major. I think its enter the NBA Draft, or play overseas.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Obviously would love to see another year of either, but I don't expect Estrada or Thomas back next year.
Could see some transfers out... Marshall who got buried and probably was thinking he could have helped in the UNCW game with his driving ability to open things up. Dubar got a lot of PT but isn't really a 4, might want to play alongside more athletic bigs. Could be anyone really in the new landscape.
Obviously expect some transfers in as well.

Way too early starter prediction:
Carlos, transfer G, Plotnikov, Dubar, transfer C
Farmer, Barrouk, transfer F, Manyang round out the rotation

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I know Estrada and Speedy have a great relationship...so he may stay and benefit from his coaching one more year. Thomas I have no idea but I would love to see him stay.

I think the program has to operate like both of them will be leaving however.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Based on these instagram posts from Thomas certainly seems like at least one of them is gone...

https://twitter.com/SSN_Hofstra/status/ ... 5941200898

Also Timberlake officially announced he's leaving Towson for either portal or pros. Guess he somehow still had another yr of eligibility left
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

In 2018-2019, Timberlake played 9 games and got a medical redshirt, so that did not count toward his five seasons of eligibility.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

dutchPride86 wrote:Based on these instagram posts from Thomas certainly seems like at least one of them is gone...

Also Timberlake officially announced he's leaving Towson for either portal or pros. Guess he somehow still had another yr of eligibility left
This Timberlake kid.. Damn.. Glad to see him go. He is the Perry Ellis of the CAA. Guy has been around for 7 years
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

dutchPride86 wrote:Based on these instagram posts from Thomas certainly seems like at least one of them is gone...

Seems like Thomas is gone for sure.

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:I know Estrada and Speedy have a great relationship...so he may stay and benefit from his coaching one more year. Thomas I have no idea but I would love to see him stay.

I think the program has to operate like both of them will be leaving however.
Yes agree with this hoping he will come back based on the relationship with Speedy but what does he have to gain by doing this. He has been in college a long time do any of these decisions have to with ACADEMICS?? Assume they r both leaving makes a lot of sense because we can't get caught with our pants down. If they both leave this becomes a rebuilding year at least to some degree because that's a lot to lose. Can they fill this huge void thru the portal and to some degree promoting Marshall?? That's a big stretch and a lot of points to make up for.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I gotta be honest, last night Estrada was a deer in headlights on the big screen.
Agree 100% - he really played quite poorly for him / for the POY in the 2nd half. The TO's were BAD. I think he actually hurt his stock a bit. So I can't agree that AE has done 'all he can'. He hasn't and didn't. He didn't play great when it mattered most, and didn't lead his team to a dance. Sorry, that matters.

Will he return? I don't think so, because frankly HU doesn't have a great track record of getting across the finish line. And since that's all he has left, it may not be worth it. I would LOVE for him to stay, but I wouldn't blame him for deciding to go make some real money overseas.

TT should return. Would be his team next year. But I see him exiting if AE does as that would change the dynamic.

Once again, Speedy could be building a team from scratch. Need to find a way to not do that every year - I know it's hard in today's landscape, but it's going to be tough to produce an NCAAT team on a somewhat consistent basis w/out some stability.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Love Estrada, I hope he returns, he's been incredible for HU's program, but as they were fortunate enough to get that semifinal game to OT against UNCW, I was telling someone next to me, "Okay, he's the POY, now's the time for him to take over and drag his team across the finish line to the title game. This is the perfect setup for that." And it just didn't happen, not even remotely. Hard to do that by himself when the whole team was off that night and especially in OT and credit to UNCW for making sure, defensively, that it didn't happen, but disappointing that particular moment wasn't Estrada's to do what a POY should have done in that moment, in OT.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

cactus wrote:

Seems like Thomas is gone for sure.

Maybe he was referring to Estrada who with his embrace of speedy at the end today seems to be definitely moving on. Assuming he and everyone else stays, a lineup of Carlos Thomas Plotnikov Dubar and a C is a more traditional one position/size wise. Obviously expecting some movement in and out, and looking forward to seeing Farmer as well.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cactus think outside the box that lineup doesn't excite me all that much. We do have a freshman PG coming in from Orlando who is 6'3 and Marshall who seems to have all the tools now just has to be consistent. However the biggest surprises for this team moving forward I have to believe will be coming via the portal. There r just too many really good players there that we won't try to do some selective shopping if you will.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Apologies for the long post incoming, but imho here's how I see the roster shaking out for next season along with an area of improvement for each player/position. Using expectation that Thomas now returns with Estrada clearly gone (and no shocking transfer outs).

Speedy - Showed clear growth as a coach this season. For year 3 looking for improvement with in-game 2nd half adjustments: can be better in timeout usage, and what's the Plan B/Plan C for the offense when quality defenses lock Hofstra down and shots stop falling? (like vs St Marys, Towson road game, UNCW, and 2nd half yesterday). Also can we teach the kids how to draw contact and get fouls on drives to the hoop?

Starters
PG - Carlos: Keep working on the jumper and keep getting stronger. Has to do a better job not getting lost in flow of the game vs bigger guards. Don't think its unreasonable to expect jump to 10-12 ppg and get up to 6 ast next season, should make an all-conference team.

SG - Thomas: Get to 18-20 ppg, but more importantly improve the rebounding from mid 3s to 5 per game. Also try to get to the rim off the dribble a couple more times a game, with his frame as 5th yr senior should be able to get to the line more. Should be in running for CPOY

G/F - Dubar: Still the key to the whole thing for me. Just needs more consistency. He has the talent to be a 14/7 type player, 2nd team all-conference level, but does he have the motor to do it night in, night out?

G/F - Incoming transfer TBD. Must be a little bigger than Estrada, hopefully at least 6'4 200lbs. Could be either an Estrada type younger guy with major untapped upside but struggled at Power 5 school, or a Thomas type vet leveling up from a quality but not superstar low major career. Player could even be a little more defense/rebounding focused than scoring (compared to past adds) if staff believes in scoring jumps for JC and Dubar. Confident in staff's ability to land a quality guy here either way.

F/C - Manyang OR incoming transfer TBD. Can Manyang hold up on the boards/defensively with his frame? Certainly very excited about his athletic ability and offensive potential just from watching him in warmups and his HS scouting reports.

Bench
F/C - Manyang OR incoming transfer TBD. Again confident in staff's ability to land another grad transfer. Maybe with the earlier head start in knowing need here they'll find a better guy and Manyang begins his career coming off the bench

G/F - German. Perfect high-energy bench glue guy, but don't see him as starter on team with expectations we have for the squad

SG - Is Bryce Washington coming back? Really nice bench piece if so. If not hope staff finds another transfer like him

PG - The incoming freshman is supposed to be a PG I believe? Could see like a 35/5 split in mins between JC and the freshman if so, kinda like how Buie and JC were used as freshman

The rest - A'mare is a real wild card to me. What did coaching staff see behind the scenes to stop playing him as year went on? If Estrada is only G/F leaving does Marshall even see enough potential playing time to not transfer? Farmer another wild card, no idea what to expect there. Barrouk and Tomasco - if they stay cool, if they decide to transfer down totally understand and wish them well.

With confidence in the staff's ability to both make impact adds in the portal and retain their own players (that shouldn't be taken for granted), I think team should be right there again if Thomas does indeed return. If Thomas leaves, obviously becomes vital to find a star in the portal otherwise a bit of rebuilding year without Thomas and Estrada could be inevitable.

Charleston will still be a major hurdle. Forget what they might get in the portal off their publicity this season, according to 247 Sports they have the #52 incoming recruiting class in the country (and best among mid majors). Two kids ranked inside the top 100, including a 4-star guard.... https://247sports.com/college/cofc/Seas ... l/Commits/
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote:Apologies for the long post incoming, but imho here's how I see the roster shaking out for next season along with an area of improvement for each player/position. Using expectation that Thomas now returns with Estrada clearly gone (and no shocking transfer outs).

Speedy - Showed clear growth as a coach this season. For year 3 looking for improvement with in-game 2nd half adjustments: can be better in timeout usage, and what's the Plan B/Plan C for the offense when quality defenses lock Hofstra down and shots stop falling? (like vs St Marys, Towson road game, UNCW, and 2nd half yesterday). Also can we teach the kids how to draw contact and get fouls on drives to the hoop?

Starters
PG - Carlos: Keep working on the jumper and keep getting stronger. Has to do a better job not getting lost in flow of the game vs bigger guards. Don't think its unreasonable to expect jump to 10-12 ppg and get up to 6 ast next season, should make an all-conference team.

SG - Thomas: Get to 18-20 ppg, but more importantly improve the rebounding from mid 3s to 5 per game. Also try to get to the rim off the dribble a couple more times a game, with his frame as 5th yr senior should be able to get to the line more. Should be in running for CPOY

G/F - Dubar: Still the key to the whole thing for me. Just needs more consistency. He has the talent to be a 14/7 type player, 2nd team all-conference level, but does he have the motor to do it night in, night out?

G/F - Incoming transfer TBD. Must be a little bigger than Estrada, hopefully at least 6'4 200lbs. Could be either an Estrada type younger guy with major untapped upside but struggled at Power 5 school, or a Thomas type vet leveling up from a quality but not superstar low major career. Player could even be a little more defense/rebounding focused than scoring (compared to past adds) if staff believes in scoring jumps for JC and Dubar. Confident in staff's ability to land a quality guy here either way.

F/C - Manyang OR incoming transfer TBD. Can Manyang hold up on the boards/defensively with his frame? Certainly very excited about his athletic ability and offensive potential just from watching him in warmups and his HS scouting reports.

Bench
F/C - Manyang OR incoming transfer TBD. Again confident in staff's ability to land another grad transfer. Maybe with the earlier head start in knowing need here they'll find a better guy and Manyang begins his career coming off the bench

G/F - German. Perfect high-energy bench glue guy, but don't see him as starter on team with expectations we have for the squad

SG - Is Bryce Washington coming back? Really nice bench piece if so. If not hope staff finds another transfer like him

PG - The incoming freshman is supposed to be a PG I believe? Could see like a 35/5 split in mins between JC and the freshman if so, kinda like how Buie and JC were used as freshman

The rest - A'mare is a real wild card to me. What did coaching staff see behind the scenes to stop playing him as year went on? If Estrada is only G/F leaving does Marshall even see enough potential playing time to not transfer? Farmer another wild card, no idea what to expect there. Barrouk and Tomasco - if they stay cool, if they decide to transfer down totally understand and wish them well.

With confidence in the staff's ability to both make impact adds in the portal and retain their own players (that shouldn't be taken for granted), I think team should be right there again if Thomas does indeed return. If Thomas leaves, obviously becomes vital to find a star in the portal otherwise a bit of rebuilding year without Thomas and Estrada could be inevitable.

Charleston will still be a major hurdle. Forget what they might get in the portal off their publicity this season, according to 247 Sports they have the #52 incoming recruiting class in the country (and best among mid majors). Two kids ranked inside the top 100, including a 4-star guard.... https://247sports.com/college/cofc/Seas ... l/Commits/
Some really good food for thought here not only with regard to HU but with what CofC may already have lined up. HU's mission should be to keep pace with that. With how they both finished this year and with Kelsey and Speedy both locked up, and with how the rest of the CAA is, Charleston and Hofstra could be a poor man's version of the WCC for years to come, with those two being the clear top two battling each other for conference supremacy and then with the rest of the league a notch or more below, the way Gonzaga & SMC are with the rest of the WCC below them.

In the shorter term, aside from how the TBD portal losses/gains shake out and how Manyang may help (very excited about him, and I think he has the chance to make an immediate big impact instead of being worked in or off the bench), I think it's about a lot of key guys going up to the next level next year - i.e. Thomas goes from Robin to Batman, no more main sidekick, but the No. 1 option. Then maybe Dubar (or a TDB incoming portal guy) becomes the No. 2 option. And then other keys move up one spot from where they were before as options or in their roles, which I think they are all capable of doing - Carlos, Plotnikov, Marshall, and Washington mainly. If that happens, and they can all gel cohesively at the defensive end, I think they build on what they did this year and perhaps make it a special season next year. The only thing though is they'd still likely be losing the CAA POY, and without that, even if everything else I mentioned comes to fruition, that may not be enough to overcome Charleston. But a whole lot to play out between now and November and then between November and next March for HU, CofC and for anyone else in the CAA which could make an unexpected surprising jump. However, I think HU is in at least pretty good position to be able to keep it moving forward next year instead of sliding backward. if they can't replace what Estrada gave them as the POY though (should he be gone), then they'll have to do the above in way that will have to be greater than the sum of the parts. That will likely be the only way to get it done next year and not fall short again like thes past two years (I say two because I'm throwing out the Covid-abbreviated, crazy 2020-21 year).
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

dutchPride86 wrote:Apologies for the long post incoming, but imho here's how I see the roster shaking out for next season along with an area of improvement for each player/position. Using expectation that Thomas now returns with Estrada clearly gone (and no shocking transfer outs).

Starters

Bench

You did a very extensive job here dutchPride kudos to you. I agree with most of what you have posted although I believe that Marshall will be given every opportunity here to be a starter. I think it will be his job to lose but having said that with the portal and the multitude of players out there someone could transfer in and take Estrada's position.Relegating then Marshall to the bench. As has been said before some of us including myself compare him to an unpolished Charles Jenkins. Those r big shoes to fill so we'll see how his work ethic is and how he comes in this year.

We know we need Carlos to score he was the difference maker in the wins over COC AND RUTGERS. He needs to improve on guarding bigger more physical/quicker guards. I didn't know that Washington was still in the discussion as coming back?? Obviously an athletic kid who would only be a plus here.

I think Dubar is an important piece of the puzzle and yes he needs to be more consistent and he showed up against Cincinatti. He needs a game similar to that every time he steps onto the court. Plotnikov a very important asset as his backup. A very smart savvy player who works hard on D.

I really think and its obvious that we need BIG post players kids that are tough and can rebound. The jury is out for now on Manyang. He has a season under his belt and only those that have seen him in game situations(practices) would be privy to what his ability level is right now. IMO he looks too thin and frail and I worry about him getting injured and leaving us without anyone viable in the low post. I know that we will bring in some players here but have serious concerns at this position but Speedy seems to be able to persuade quality players to come here so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Thomas assuming he returns is a big part of what we will be or won't be this coming year. Like u say a very good player that could be in the running for POY. I'd like to see him pick up more fouls and generate points from the FT line. The key to the season IMO.

ID have any clue as to what we have with Farmer or incoming frosh Robinson TBD??
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Have a few thoughts I wanted ot get out (sorry for the length)

I think Hofstra should be going hard after 4s in addition to an experienced 5. I was always hoping Dubar would be that 4, but he seems to like to play on the perimeter more with the ability to drive. He unfortunately is not a big factor on the boards. German plays a similar game with a smaller frame. Hofstra depends on the 5 to be the primary rebounder, but they havent had that person since Rok (and maybe Kante). Too many times Williams and NBY were going against 2 or 3 people on the offensive and defensive glass and we were outrebounded by many good teams giving up many 2nd and 3rd chance opportunities and limiting their own. Would be great to have a 4 that could bang on the boards (along with the 5) - even if they don’t have much of an offensive game. (for 90s Knicks fans, think an Oakley type). As much as they need to replace scoring, they have been on the wrong end of the rebounding stat for a long time.

I think JC’s size can be compensated for withy better shot selection and better defensive coaching. After watching Dejulius on Cincy and the PG for Kansas St. (yesterday against Kentucky - he’s 5”8” I think and was the best player on the court), you can be effective at his size. I don’t know that he will ever be the offensive player that those two are, but they play relentless D and were nullifying taller, very good offensive players. That’s effort, scouting and positioning.

I would like to see a more balanced scoring attack. Having the POY many years has been a great accolade to Hofstra’s recruiting and set up players for nice careers. Taking nothing away from Estrada - if not for him the past two years, we probably don’t win more than 17 games. However, it has failed to get them the tourney championship (I know Buie could have been the POY in 2020, but wasn’t - he, Pemberton, Ray and Kante were a more balanced IMO). The POYs have had great seasons and feasted on poor defensive teams, but at times can get locked up in big games against the better defenses (Estrada down the stretch, Green against UNCW) or be the sole scorer, but not get enough from the rest of the team (JWF). Seems like they get very reliant on that player to save the day and unfortunately they all have come up short. Estrada was dribbling around the court all too often trying to finds a shot for himself or set someone up knowing he needed to put the team win his shoulders. At the end of close games it was the Estrada or Thomas show (Dubar, Williams and to a lesser extent Carlos would disappear). However, the Rutgers game was a perfect example of how a more balanced approach can work. They essentially played the final 10 minuteness and OT without the POY and everyone stepped up and they had a more balanced attack (though Thomas was still taking the biggest shots). Rutgers wasn’t sure who to defend and I think that is a place to improve on.

I believe in Speedy and this staff to get them to the next level, just wondering if a different approach may be in order.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Just posted the same on the transfer portal discussion thread. This guy would be a nice addition/piece of the puzzle.

Sean Durugordon - 6'5" SF that HU tried to get 2 years ago out of high school. He signed with Mizzou, then transferred after one year to Austin Peay (averaged 12 ppg and 6 rpg). He is from Queens - maybe its time for him to come home!