CAA MBB Semifinal Game vs. UNCW - Monday, March 6, 6PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
mikey75

Re: CAA MBB Semifinal Game vs. UNCW - Monday, March 6, 6PM

Post by mikey75 »

True. Beat Nebraska at the Mack then St. Joseph's in Philly I think. Then lost to ODU at home. Sucked having to beat a good team three times in the same year, but Hofstra always seems to draw these cards. Like the pandemic nixing the last CAA tournament run.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Yes, that was true
What was disheartening about that loss is they blew us out pretty easily
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

stuball888 wrote:Yes, that was true

Actually they beat us 61-51 which was closer than I thought
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
cactus wrote:Dooku mentioned yesterday that hofstra is the best college program in the last 20 years that has not gone to the tournament.
It might not even be close.
Congrats for being part of the most tortured fan base in college hoops I guess?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
You know Cactus as I hear it over and over again that we haven't been in the tournament or made it in 20 + years I take major exception to this because this is disingenuous. We made the tournament in 2020 for all intents and purposes and nobody can take that away from us. The fact that it wasn't played does not in any way tarnish the great year we had and our accomplishments. Sports people need to watch how they refer to our accomplishments and give credit where it most assuredly is due.
Thank you! I've been mentioning this repeatedly. It's extremely unfair to the program. "Not going in (now) 22 years has major asterisk. The team did what it needed to do three years ago and then faced something that was entirely beyond their control.
of course this is true, but the fact is they still didn't go to a tournament, because it didn't exist that year. fans haven't seen them play on that stage in 22 years. Not many comparable programs where it's been that long. You can look at some programs with history in good conferences that have longer streaks like Duquesne but they have had a lot of 500 and losing seasons. Hofstra has had all these 20 win seasons (11 since 2001, plus two years with 19), 4 regular season championships, 5 CAA players of the year, and no appearances.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

But totally outside of our control. Could have been a nuclear war heaven forbid but we made the NCAA tournament in 2020 and as Eli Pemberton said "We're going to earn it" and earn it indeed they did. It's disrespectful for anyone talking about our basketball program not to acknowledge this and I imagine not being a household program some just do it out of ignorance.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:Yes, that was true

Actually they beat us 61-51 which was closer than I thought
So wasn't this the Loren Stokes Antoine Agudio team?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Yes it was four games after the Tony Skinn groin punch
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Don’t look now, but UNCW is on a 15-0 run and leads Charleston 49-45with under 10:00 to go.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I don’t blame anyone who didn’t want to watch this final, but it’s been a great game, both teams leaving it all out there.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

CC 63 UNCW 58 final
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Proving that the top four teams in the CAA were not separated by that much from 6 to 12 there was a big drop off
Wags

Post by Wags »

Chandy wrote:As a former graduate who played varsity soccer for Hofstra a couple of generations ago, I have frequented this site often over the last couple of years.

I feel compelled to comment as some of the fan base has respectfully lost perspective on what has been accomplished under Claxton's guidance. First, let me give you a bit of perspective. For the last 30 years, I have lived in Chapel Hill, NC and I know clearly the expectations of Tar Heel fans. Some of the hopes of this board have reached a crescendo that I see from the rabid or misguided fans of UNC, i.e., that the football program should be top 10 & that our coaches are not good; that the players don’t care enough. In fact, when I first came to Chapel Hill, our head football coach was Mack Brown and the basketball coach was Dean Smith. The were spectacular both as coaches and in the way the lived their lives but there was a contingent of fans that were not satisfied.

Fast forward to yesterday's loss. We are all were disappointed but I assure you so not as much as the players and coach. To express disdain for their efforts is wrong. Speedy Claxton first 2 years as Head Coach are more than good. I was proud of the team’s effort during the season and this game. Their development has been wonderful to watch. This forum should be a place where constructively critque the good and not so. Question a call or questionable play, sure, but not the intent of these kids or coach. We should also be proud that Hofstra won their conference and will very likely be playing in the NIT. That is big; to say otherwise is foolish.

So, hang in there PRIDE nation; this program is progressing and did us proud this year
Hey Chandy, welcome aboard TO the board!

Thanks for this perspective. As you said, I don't understand anyone questioning the intent of the players or staff. For every fan who may be upset at seeing this men's hoops team fall short of reaching the NCAAT, multiply that feeling by far more for the players & staff in those situations.

I'm with you on the NIT. Wanting to reach the NCAA tourney every year but gladly accepting the NIT when that doesn't happen is perfectly fine. Thinking otherwise is pretending Hofstra history is something other than it is.

This is the 59th year in the Hofstra men's basketball program.
Over that time, they went to the Division II NCAA tourney four times, going 5-4 in those games.
They've gone to Division I NCAA tourney four times (qualifying for it five times), still without a win in that tourney.
Despite only four NCAA tourney appearances, they've gone to the NIT a grand total of only six times, with only two NIT wins, including no wins in five of the six years.

If you're a fan of a mid-majors like Dayton (62 NIT games with a 41-21 record) or Bradley (44 NIT games with a 26-18 record), the "who cares about the NIT" sentiment is understandable. But when you're a Hofstra fan, and your program is 0-4 in the NCAAT and 2-6 in the NIT, there's no comparison. You take what you can get until you build your own history in either tournament, with the NCAAT always being the first goal. With that history, who the heck do we think we are as Hofstra MBB fans to snub our collective noses at the NIT whenever the ultimate goal of playing NCAAT isn't reached?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This is so true we're not in a place to have this uppity attitude towards these post season tournaments. Even the coach of UNCW Takayo Siddle said about their winning the CBI last year that it was a character/motivator for this team going in to this year and they did pretty well for themselves(paraphrased). A double O/T win against Middle Tennessee State. Happy I can get to see my team play at least one more game and showcase the talent we have. This can't hurt recruiting only help.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:This is so true we're not in a place to have this uppity attitude towards these post season tournaments. Even the coach of UNCW Takayo Siddle said about their winning the CBI last year that it was a character/motivator for this team going in to this year and they did pretty well for themselves(paraphrased). A double O/T win against Middle Tennessee State. Happy I can get to see my team play at least one more game and showcase the talent we have. This can't hurt recruiting only help.
Not caring about the NIT when you have no D-I NCAAT wins in four appearances and 2 NIT wins in six appearances over 59 years as a program would be the OOC scheduling equivalent of pretty good mid-majors at our same level wanting to play us and we declined, saying, "Oh no, we don't do that anymore because we had that one Top 25 OOC win at Arkansas, so we only schedule OOC games like that now."
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yes we had a good run in that NIT beating Nebraska at home, St. Joe's on the road and then losing to ODU at home. We should have won that game and gone to the Garden for the semis.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:Yes we had a good run in that NIT beating Nebraska at home, St. Joe's on the road and then losing to ODU at home. We should have won that game and gone to the Garden for the semis.
Oh what could of been and we all I'm sure thought we would beat O.D. AGAIN AFTER BEATING THEM TWICE BUT 3X wasn't a charm.