CAA MBB Semifinal Game vs. UNCW - Monday, March 6, 6PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

Re: CAA MBB Semifinal Game vs. UNCW - Monday, March 6, 6PM

Post by cactus »

No baskets in last 9:48 of game. Announcers were literally begging speedy to take a time out down the stretch in regulation. Dooku tells me they finished OT with 2 remaining.

Not speedy's best performance. Agree he might have been a little overconfident coming into the game. The schedule and newly top heavy league didn't do them any favors.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

He’s right - you come on the boards to throw out all your negative “predictions” so you can say you’re right in the end. You are not some genius basketball mind to say such things.

Most everyone on the boards has been following Hofstra Basketball for a long time. We all know they haven’t won much so to predict they won’t cut down the nets every year isn’t much of a stretch.

You left when they weren’t playing well and came back when they turned it around.

You clearly are looking for more so maybe a P5 team is more your speed or a better mid-major. Your posts are really repetitive and don’t add much. I’ve started skipping many of them since I’ve read them before.

I’m sure everyone here is happy your were right. Congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Wags wrote:
Polito wrote:Disappointing?? Lol. No it was AWFUL.

Call it like it is. POY and COY wasted. Just like always. You can’t lose this guys.

Who the f cares about the NIT.

This program chokes constantly. So f ing sick of it.
You're ridiculous.

You said during the game:
"I still feel good - HU will take this easier than it looks. That was the Ws literal best shot. We got this."

before that, you buried them in Nov, Dec, Jan until you hopped back on the bandwagon when they won the regular season title.

You said Charleston was going to dominate Hofstra until they lost to Hofstra on their own floor.

Do you ever listen to yourself?

Whatever happens, good or bad, you jump on board with whatever is convenient at the time and then say you're a know-it-all savant. Just stop already. It's embarrassing.
Well said Wags. Thanks
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

DutchPride86, I fully agree with your analysis. Too many poor offensive sets that became one on one. 40% shooting, poor rebounding, and giving up too many second chance points will cause a loss. Well, onto the NIT with the selection on Sunday evening.
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote:There are zero excuses for losing that game tonight. It was pitiful, brutal, embarrassing, a choke job, all of the above. So I don't want this to come off as an excuse but as an observation....

Hofstra played exactly 1 game against a team ranked better than 310 in kenpom since beating Towson on Feb 2 (and that Drexel team sucked on the road and didn't have justin moore). The vast majority of that win streak was against NEC level competition, which after seeing what happened tonight I think gave hofstra a false sense of security. We gave them credit for finding a way to win that stony brook game, now that more looks like it only happened because SB was that bad.

Hofstra really hadn't faced a legitimate divison 1 team in over a month, and hadn't had to deal with pressure of beating a real team in a real atmosphere as the favorite the entire year. And tonight I think that showed....players and coaches weren't ready for the moment
That's easy to say, but you can't say that from the start. They responded to being down 5-0 with a 21-4 run, doing exactly what they did in the second half against UNCW in January, what they did over the course of the 12-game winning streak, and what they did just yesterday in a huge way.

I asked Speedy about that run and why they couldn't sustain it a lot more than they did over the rest of the game and he pretty much credited UNCW rather than say much about his own team on that. So, hard to say about the psychology with that one way or the other, but they might've believed something like... this 21-4 run looks exactly like what we've been doing for a while now, we're on our way to another easy win... only UNCW is too good for that and there was still too much ball left to play. We don't know, but it's possible if that was their mindset, at least after the 21-4 run anyway. I certainly felt that was at that point in the game because I figured they were better than UNCW (Speedy still believes that in general, just not tonight), and I thought what we've seen a lot of recently, including against UNCW in January was what we'd continue to see as the game wore on. Just didn't happen, but especially defensively. After that early run, that was not the same D tonight that we saw so many times this season.

Another thought entered my mind during the afternoon, too but I suppressed it because it seemed to fit too much and I obviously hoped it wouldn't happen... that it would be sort of just how things often, ironically go if they lost tonight because it was that UNCW game at home that started the streak, so of course, it would figure that it would be UNCW to end the streak.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Wags wrote:
dutchPride86 wrote:There are zero excuses for losing that game tonight. It was pitiful, brutal, embarrassing, a choke job, all of the above. So I don't want this to come off as an excuse but as an observation....

Hofstra played exactly 1 game against a team ranked better than 310 in kenpom since beating Towson on Feb 2 (and that Drexel team sucked on the road and didn't have justin moore). The vast majority of that win streak was against NEC level competition, which after seeing what happened tonight I think gave hofstra a false sense of security. We gave them credit for finding a way to win that stony brook game, now that more looks like it only happened because SB was that bad.

Hofstra really hadn't faced a legitimate divison 1 team in over a month, and hadn't had to deal with pressure of beating a real team in a real atmosphere as the favorite the entire year. And tonight I think that showed....players and coaches weren't ready for the moment
That's easy to say, but you can't say that from the start. They responded to being down 5-0 with a 21-4 run, doing exactly what they did in the second half against UNCW in January, what they did over the course of the 12-game winning streak, and what they did just yesterday in a huge way.

I asked Speedy about that run and why they couldn't sustain it a lot more than they did over the rest of the game and he pretty much credited UNCW rather than say much about his own team on that. So, hard to say about the psychology with that one way or the other, but they might've believed something like... this 21-4 run looks exactly like what we've been doing for a while now, we're on our way to another easy win... only UNCW is too good for that and there was still too much ball left to play. We don't know, but it's possible if that was their mindset, at least after the 21-4 run anyway. I certainly felt that was at that point in the game because I figured they were better than UNCW (Speedy still believes that in general, just not tonight), and I thought what we've seen a lot of recently, including against UNCW in January was what we'd continue to see as the game wore on. Just didn't happen, but especially defensively. After that early run, that was not the same D tonight that we saw so many times this season.

Another thought entered my mind during the afternoon, too but I suppressed it because it seemed to fit too much and I obviously hoped it wouldn't happen... that it would be sort of just how things often, ironically go if they lost tonight because it was that UNCW game at home that started the streak, so of course, it would figure that it would be UNCW to end the streak.

Wags that's true. But the pressure of not blowing a game you're supposed to win is a different animal, and something this team hadn't gone through. Watching on TV it almost felt like Hofstra thought uncw would roll over (like every other terrible team in the conference did) after that initial run, and once uncw punched back hofstra wasn't poised enough to handle it
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

They were just so soft tonight. No one wanted to get dirty. Cant believe they lost this game. Up 12 early, it looked as if we were toying with them, but UNCW punched back, and Hofstra didnt want any smoke tonight. Soft. Sucks. Damn
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thank you cactus. I know you’re not my biggest fan either but I appreciate that you try to keep things fair on the board. This board LOVES to hate me, it’s hilarious.

FD don’t act like a big shit behind your screen name on this board in front on your little cronies. DM me and we can talk face to face like men when you’re ready. You’ve clearly got something on your chest, so let’s get to it. Ready to hug it out when you are.

Not even acknowledging you wags. Done with you.
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote:
Wags wrote:

Wags that's true. But the pressure of not blowing a game you're supposed to win is a different animal, and something this team hadn't gone through. Watching on TV it almost felt like Hofstra thought uncw would roll over (like every other terrible team in the conference did) after that initial run, and once uncw punched back hofstra wasn't poised enough to handle it
Hard to say for sure without them saying it, but could certainly make the case for that. I thought the biggest thing was (and this contributed to Hofstra's D not being the same D we saw for a while before tonight) was that UNCWplayed very hungryy and with a lot of energy, aggressively, especially offensively, and Hofstra, particularly on defense, often didn't match that same energy level. That was the most disappointing thing, especially with the stakes being what they were.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: Not even acknowledging you wags. Done with you.
Good riddance. I can use the peace.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote:They were just so soft tonight. No one wanted to get dirty. Cant believe they lost this game. Up 12 early, it looked as if we were toying with them, but UNCW punched back, and Hofstra didnt want any smoke tonight. Soft. Sucks. Damn
Kind of seemed that way, sadly. Thomas was also not the sidekick he normally was this season and the one Estrada needed him to be. Some of his jumpers were just way, way off, even if good looks and not contested. 3/8 from 3 was decent, but he can't go 1/4 from 2 in a game that was this close and this important.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good gracious, they’re coming out of the woodwork now. P97 and CTDutch and anyone else who apparently has a problem they want to speak to me about.

I did not say ONE single word to or about any of you. Not one word. I said my piece about this loss - my RIGHT on a friggin sports message board. All of YOU have made this a personal attack now on me. Big shots hiding behind your screen names. All coming out from the shadows like a little posse with your pitchforks. Yeah, big dogs, all of you.

Anyone thinking I would EVER want HU to do bad may need actual mental help. That’s the most asinine thing I’ve ever heard and you clearly know NOTHING about me. That is total and complete idiocy.

If you have a personal problem with me then DM me. Simple. Don’t talk shit to or about me on this board. That’s weak sauce. I’m right here. Say it TO me directly and privately, not for attention, and we can chat like men.

And don’t go chiming in from the back of the crowd like yeah yeah what he said yeah polito yeah!!! Whack.

I didn’t mention a single one of you in my comments, I’m not your personal enemy, good grief. So not necessary and so very lame. If you got a problem let’s hug it out IRL. Otherwise you can buzz off.

Considering the few fans HU has running any of them off seems like a pretty stupid thing to do - especially one who was actually trying to help this program and its NIL dilemma. But yeah you all are right, I’m the worst thing ever. Heck I’m probably the reason they choked tonight. How dare I exist!!

PS I may not sleep tonight knowing anyone skips my posts. The horror…
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Always prefer to post the next day after a BIG LOSS and I won't be redundant I think the board has covered what they believed to be the reasons for this loss and let the stats speak for themselves. Heartbroken of course but keeping it in perspective because at the end of the day it's just a game a great and wonderful game but a GAME!! Just don't like the negativity using words like choke, suck, awful, pitiful and whatever derogatory words that are being used here. Aaron spoke at the post presser and very simply stated in a very professional way we got beat by a UNCW team that was just better then us(tonight). We played so poorly tonight that we came back from the depths of despair and took this game to O/T. It looked like a miracle and we seemed to be the team of destiny but it was obviously not to be. COULD WE JUST STOP PLAYING THE BLAME GAME!! Ugh......

Just want to thank the PLAYERS, COACHES and everyone involved making this a great season a memorable one and I enjoyed going to the games with my family and working with Carla in the ticket office who bent over backwards getting me extra tickets all season long. Thanks for a wonderful season even after a heartbreaking loss!!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:Always prefer to post the next day after a BIG LOSS and I won't be redundant I think the board has covered what they believed to be the reasons for this loss and let the stats speak for themselves. Heartbroken of course but keeping it in perspective because at the end of the day it's just a game a great and wonderful game but a GAME!! Just don't like the negativity using words like choke, suck, awful, pitiful and whatever derogatory words that are being used here. Aaron spoke at the post presser and very simply stated in a very professional way we got beat by a UNCW team that was just better then us(tonight). We played so poorly tonight that we came back from the depths of despair and took this game to O/T. It looked like a miracle and we seemed to be the team of destiny but it was obviously not to be. COULD WE JUST STOP PLAYING THE BLAME GAME!! Ugh......

Just want to thank the PLAYERS, COACHES and everyone involved making this a great season a memorable one and I enjoyed going to the games with my family and working with Carla in the ticket office who bent over backwards getting me extra tickets all season long. Thanks for a wonderful season even after a heartbreaking loss!!
Well said T2195
UNCW beat us fair and square - they played great D - and locked all of players down - Estrada and Thomas and secondary players Williams and Dubar.
Although this didnt end the way we hoped - I think as I look back this was a good season - and I too want send my appreciation to this team - players; coaches and staff - Bryan, Jess, Jerry, Everett and Carla are aces.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:Always prefer to post the next day after a BIG LOSS and I won't be redundant I think the board has covered what they believed to be the reasons for this loss and let the stats speak for themselves. Heartbroken of course but keeping it in perspective because at the end of the day it's just a game a great and wonderful game but a GAME!! Just don't like the negativity using words like choke, suck, awful, pitiful and whatever derogatory words that are being used here. Aaron spoke at the post presser and very simply stated in a very professional way we got beat by a UNCW team that was just better then us(tonight). We played so poorly tonight that we came back from the depths of despair and took this game to O/T. It looked like a miracle and we seemed to be the team of destiny but it was obviously not to be. COULD WE JUST STOP PLAYING THE BLAME GAME!! Ugh......

The destination is what makes a season special and memorable, and that's always the ultimate goal, but the journey is always fun every year.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Agreed triplec. Very well said!

It was a great season and a great run. Stinks that one bad game ends it but that’s the game we all choose to watch and root for knowing it’s a possibility. Super disappointing ending.

It was great to be there in person - such great energy from the fans that were there. Everyone stood the entire time. The downside was the CoC fans showed up at the end of the game and were loudly rooting for UNCW.

I felt our D was the constant prior to the game but it wasn’t there last night. Felt like they had a ton of points in the paint and our bigs didn’t play well. I can’t bring myself to look at the box score, but felt like we were out rebounded by a lot and gave up a bunch of offensive boards that led to many second change points. Seemed like Ferrar could do anything he wanted on offense as well.

After we took a nice lead in the first, they had two possessions in a row where uncw stole the inbounds and got a quick 4 points. It was sloppy and felt like it turned the momentum. Credit UNCW - they played great D when needed.

I feel like Speedy is a great recruiter and will continue to show that with the transfer portal. He may put a little too much trust in his players at times instead of calling time outs and resetting things. Also the ball movement which was a staple, wasn’t there last night. There were some baffling shots taken.

Too early to discuss at this point, but have a feeling this team will have a pretty different look next year. Happy in the post game that Speedy cut someone off from asking Estrada about his future 10 minutes after that game ended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

tc, always a pleasure.

I understand, and that's totally fine. I take nothing back. That's my position on it. When you have the POY AND the COY you gotta win. There's no excuse for the way they played last night and losing that game. NONE. That is literally the definition of a choke. Not saying you have to say that, but I do - appreciate your way just as much as I am fine with mine.

This happens WAY too often at HU. Most CAA teams don't win - that isn't the issue. Most CAA teams don't have the yearly talent HU does. THAT'S the issue. This program has had more POY's than any team in the CAA. Where are the results when it matters? Sure some of that's just 'basketball'. Much of it is HU failing.

The biggest issue for me last night, the #1 thing that set me ablaze, was listening to Speedy Claxton whine about REFFING on national TV at halftime and saying that's all he saw from the first half. THAT'S the reason HU was getting outplayed and outcoached? That is embarrassing. I know this board is infatuated with him, and I like Speedy as I've recently said, AND I also WANT him to succeed, HU needs him to because they won't get anyone else, BUT that was just completely cringeworthy.

And I think the reffing was marginal at best. But you are the HEAD COACH. You're the COY for goodness sake. It's only halftime and your team is down and out in dire need of its leader to right the ship. And that's what you say and focus on??

NOPE. You just can't do that. That's a black eye on the conference stage for this program that he needs to make up for and mature through.

AE is really a stand up guy and one of the HU greats. Very glad he said the right things and owned they got beat. Gotta give the W props, they threw HU off the entire night. AE is the reason HU was top dog, but he also made a lot of poor plays likely trying to do too much.

Can't put this on one player of course, the entire team played extremely poorly outside of JC who played his BUTT off, but frankly I think Dubar's terrible game was a key in this loss. Speedy said when he's on they're unstoppable. And vice versa.

The bigs did jack. The bench did jack. TT had a bad night. It was just a train wreck overall. Yet they somehow managed to squeak into OT and have a chance against the W's absolute best shot. That certainly speaks to the talent level of this program. The only positive from that L.

Watched the whole Towson CofC game. Can say those two teams played MUCH harder than HU did, in addition to UNCW. Would also still say HU still has the top 1 to 2 overall talent in the league. But that's not enough. HU got what lackluster effort gets you when it matters most.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote: It was a great season and a great run. Stinks that one bad game ends it but that’s the game we all choose to watch and root for knowing it’s a possibility. Super disappointing ending.
Yeah, but we know that's part of the deal. Very uncharacteristically missing the last 11 shots after going a pretty good 23/47 reminds me of the 2016 finals loss to the same UNCW, also in OT, and the Knicks Game 7 loss in Houston in 1994. Juan'ya Green was sensational in 2015-16 and the Knicks never come close to the '94 Finals without Starks, but Green goes 2/16 in the 2016 final and Starks goes 2/18 in Game 7. We can call those and last night for HU a choke or whatever, but uncharacteristic things often happen at the most inopportune times. Maher is normally a very reliable kicker, but in the playoffs last year, he missed four consecutive extra points. Just happens. It's bitter, but just how it goes sometimes. It doesn't invalidate all of the other accomplishments along the way. It WAS a great season, just with a bad ending. I think it's just human nature to go to extremes and have a tendency to overstate things either way based only on the final outcome rather than on how they got there. Had they won the game, we'd be whitewashing the fact that last night's defense wasn't anywhere near the D we saw prior and consistently from them. Because they lost, that becomes (as it should) the focus.

Also, we should remember - down three, :18 left in OT, good possession, Carlos' 3 that would have tied the game at 76-76 was halfway down and rolled out. Trazerian White thought it was going in. So did maybe the entire building. And this goes back to how we go to extremes... he missed that shot so "they choked." If that shot goes down and say, they win in 2OTs, it becomes "what a gutty, gritty performance, bring on Charleston!" while ignoring all of the bad that got them into the position to need that shot in the first place. So, often it's the extremes - either way - that we make it out to be. But often, it's simply a very fine line.
Pride97 wrote: It was great to be there in person - such great energy from the fans that were there. Everyone stood the entire time. The downside was the CoC fans showed up at the end of the game and were loudly rooting for UNCW.
That place has great acoustics. 2,500 with a good amount of empty seats in that building sound like 15,000. HU's contingent was vocal, just not enough of them, as usual. Do they offer buses for students anymore or they don't bother because of a lack of interest?
Pride97 wrote: I felt our D was the constant prior to the game but it wasn’t there last night. Felt like they had a ton of points in the paint and our bigs didn’t play well. I can’t bring myself to look at the box score, but felt like we were out rebounded by a lot and gave up a bunch of offensive boards that led to many second chance points.
Totally agree on the D except for that early 21-4 run that was fueled by the D. All season long, they largely got away with being outrebounded, even in some blowout wins and some here worried more than I did about the rebounding in a game like last night. Those who worried were right. This was the game that it finally caught up with them at the worst time. It was 43-31, UNCW on the glass, 14-8, UNCW on the offensive glass, which led to a very 15-5, UNCW in second-chance points.
Pride97 wrote: After we took a nice lead in the first, they had two possessions in a row where uncw stole the inbounds and got a quick 4 points. It was sloppy and felt like it turned the momentum. Credit UNCW - they played great D when needed.
I don't understand how this happened. This typified UNCW's hunger and HU's lack of focus and attention to detail at times. It shouldn't really happen once all season, and if it does, it definitely shouldn't happen in a game like last night, and it's completely inexcusable that it could happen twice in a row in a game that big run.
Pride97 wrote: I feel like Speedy is a great recruiter and will continue to show that with the transfer portal. He may put a little too much trust in his players at times instead of calling time outs and resetting things. Also the ball movement which was a staple, wasn’t there last night. There were some baffling shots taken.
Yup on all of this. On the shot selection, 32 of 58 shots from 3 when they only made 34% (11/32) from 3. This and other things mentioned certainly contributed to the loss, but for me, it was still the D, which fueled that 21-4 run and had them looking like they were going to have another blowout win at 21-9. THAT D was the D we saw for so much of the season and then it just mostly disappeared the rest of the way. Disappointed that same hunger that UNCW brought on both sides of the ball wasn't there defensively for HU after that big run.
Pride97 wrote: Too early to discuss at this point, but have a feeling this team will have a pretty different look next year. Happy in the post game that Speedy cut someone off from asking Estrada about his future 10 minutes after that game ended.
That question killed the presser, which would have otherwise gone on longer and it was completely unnecessary. Estrada had just told us a couple of minutes earlier on his own that he said he didn't know what he was going to do next, so why press on with the same topic? I had the mic in hand for the next question - was going to ask Speedy, without being too specific, if he could share what he told the team after the game, and maybe sort of juxtapose the disappointment of last night against all of the great individual and team accomplishments over the season. So I guess fittingly, a bad & disappointing ending to the presser as well, to go with the final shot being being a 3 from Estrada that got stuck between the rim and backboard. LOL
Last edited by Wags on Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Well said Triplec, could not have said it any better...great season, grest run...super disappointing ending...had my bags packed in Fla, had a ticket and was ready to fly to DC for Champs...so no one is more disappointed than me...I agree that after that early run we seemed to lose energy and let UNCW take it to us...even then we made it to OT where I thought surely we would win but it didn't happen...hope we get to see this team make a run in the NIT...clearly it's not what we wanted but I have enjoyed watching this group play basketball.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: even then we made it to OT where I thought surely we would win but it didn't happen
This where I was thinking... okay, they managed to get through that and now they have a five-minute reset, a reprieve with a tie game. I don't mean to put this all on Estrada because it was absolutely on everyone, including the staff, but this is exactly where I thought... this is where the POY should take over, put his stamp on the game in OT and take HU home. But never happened.

I also thought Plotnikov's energy, 3-point shooting, and ability to put it on the floor and get to the rim for energizing dunks would be big during a key moment at some point in the tournament. Last night could have been that moment as it certainly wasn't needed against W&M. But that obviously never happened either. Shame.
HUSID80 wrote: clearly it's not what we wanted but I have enjoyed watching this group play basketball.
I did too, but that's also what makes it even more disappointing, after we already saw for such a long stretch what they were capable - including against the same team! Ah well. I admire your loyalty though to be ready to fly down for the title game.