CAA MBB Semifinal Game vs. UNCW - Monday, March 6, 6PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: CAA MBB Semifinal Game vs. UNCW - Monday, March 6, 6PM

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:In a close game like this is don't like any missed free throws. Could come back to haunt us.
Yes, but not winning anyway without stringing stop together, which they haven't really done since leading 21-9 as a result of getting those stops, which fueled the offense.
Wags

Post by Wags »

No UNCW points on 5 of their last 7 trips, and a 7-point game is not tied, 68-68 at the U4 (3:22).
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

HOW ON EARTH IS AN ICE COLD TYLER THOMAS THE SHOT THERE?!!
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

I'm getting sick of UNCW's and their constant flopping.
Polito

Post by Polito »

World class C H O K E.

Yep you’re all right, I don’t know jack about this game. DISGUSTING.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Disappointing finish to a fun year. Rebounding and too many forces from Thomas and Estrada did them in.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Can’t go nearly 10 minutes without a making a field goal and expect to win. Atrocious rebounding too. All around pathetic.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

cactus wrote:Disappointing finish to a fun year. Rebounding and too many forces from Thomas and Estrada did them in.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Not done. NIT, at least.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Outcoached. Out tough'd. Outplayed. And outcoached again. Just brutal.

The offensive possessions last 5 min and OT were just embarrassing. How on earth does Hofstra go the final 9:48 of reg and OT without a single FG?!?!?!

Uncw deserved to win this game. Beyond bitterly disappointing
Last edited by dutchPride86 on Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Tougher team won. Credit to UNCW for all the offensive rebounds and second chance points. HU took some very poor shots with too much one on one.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Disappointing?? Lol. No it was AWFUL.

Call it like it is. POY and COY wasted. Just like always. You can’t lose this guys.

Who the f cares about the NIT.

This program chokes constantly. So f ing sick of it.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Two (2) damn points in OT. Geez, you would have thought after Thomas hit those 3 FT's to send it to OT they would have been pumped up. But nothing. We beat these guys by 24 in January. Too much self-congratulating with the awards etc.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

EvanJ wrote:
cactus wrote: Still very worried about Hofstra's rebounding but loved the defensive intensity yesterday.
That is why I wanted Charleston and Towson on the other part of the bracket (I did not say "half" because one part has six teams and one part has seven teams).
The ol' "be careful what you wish for". I'm guilty of it as well. Hofstra had no answer for UNCW's D and rebounding. Not sure they would have beat any of them tonight though.

The NIT is only useful if you want to see Estrada and Thomas play another game in a hofstra uniform
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Another brutal end to the year. NIT is for the birds at this point. Watching the madness tip next week will be killer without Hofstra in it, AGAIN.

Offense was putrid tonight. Lack of coaching was apparent as well. Chucking up bad shots, stagnant possessions, just brutal.
Polito

Post by Polito »

You were def right on the rebounding. Same sh!t different year. Blew it when it mattered most.

Speedy carries the weight of this, his team looked lost and he whined about reffing like a baby. How do you feel now big man, still think you’re doing “great”? Ridiculous. Be better Speedy. Better earn that friggin extension you were thrown too early for winning some regular season games against a piss poor conf.

Looked just like every other HU team. And I gave them my hope - even though I called this, bowing out and wasting their talent. Which they did, yet again. What’s different from the Joe years again?

Absolutely pitiful. Should be embarrassed. This game shouldn’t have been close.

If it wasn’t for JC balling out they would’ve been beat by double digits. Rest of the team looked like garbage 75% of the game. Frigging sickening.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah getting close and after losing our chance in 2020. Just a bitter taste that doesn't leave.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:You were def right on the rebounding. Same sh!t different year. Blew it when it mattered most.

Speedy carries the weight of this, his team looked lost and he whined about reffing like a baby. How do you feel now big man, still think you’re doing “great”? Ridiculous. Be better Speedy. Better earn that friggin extension you were thrown too early for winning some regular season games against a piss poor conf.

Looked just like every other HU team. And I gave them my hope - even though I called this, bowing out and wasting their talent. Which they did, yet again. What’s different from the Joe years again?

Absolutely pitiful. Should be embarrassed. This game shouldn’t have been close.

If it wasn’t for JC balling out they would’ve been beat by double digits. Rest of the team looked like garbage 75% of the game. Frigging sickening.
You're an idiot. You wanted to see them fail all year just to prove you were right about them in December, which you weren't. Hope you're happy. Sorry for the PA, but you deserve it lol.

Tonight was somewhat of a chokejob against an inferior UNCW team, but the truth is we were terminally poor on the boards all year and UNCW was able to capitalize on it to victory. I thought Charleston would clip us in the final due to our poor rebounding margin, but honestly I'm not\shocked UNCW took us down tonight, just didn't feel great about it, they are a very aggressive team. I just hoped, probably like everyone else other than Polito, that the victory at the Mack meant we had their number. Apparently not.

Our defense was excellent down the stretch, but we looked gassed offensively and lost our composure on shot selection. The bottom line was we gave UNCW too many opportunities, and they have good players who took advantage. The reason I think it is somewhat of a chokejob was because we had opportunities in the first half to run away with it, and we were a bit sloppy defensively, and we missed too many wide open shots. We could and should have kept running our offense, kept getting them in foul trouble and keep working inside/outside, and kept UNCW at an arms length, but it was not in the cards. The second half reeked of complete collapse, but I was impressed with how well they fought defensively in the last 10 minutes, and I thought we would prevail in OT after the miracle foul and the UNCW miss at the buzzer. Ultimately we were toasted offensively, could not get anything going.

Overall a GREAT year and I am still very impressed with the growth of the team and coaching staff, but that was a gutcheck of a loss after such a dominant performance Sunday. I really hope these guys can bounce back and put up a strong effort in the NIT, because this team is a great team and they deserve to show that on a national scale, albeit not the one we all hoped it would be.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Hey guys no name calling. Not cool. Understand we are upset about the loss but can't have personal attacks here.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Disappointing?? Lol. No it was AWFUL.

Call it like it is. POY and COY wasted. Just like always. You can’t lose this guys.

Who the f cares about the NIT.

This program chokes constantly. So f ing sick of it.
You're ridiculous.

You said during the game:
"I still feel good - HU will take this easier than it looks. That was the Ws literal best shot. We got this."

before that, you buried them in Nov, Dec, Jan until you hopped back on the bandwagon when they won the regular season title.

You said Charleston was going to dominate Hofstra until they lost to Hofstra on their own floor.

Do you ever listen to yourself?

Whatever happens, good or bad, you jump on board with whatever is convenient at the time and then say you're a know-it-all savant. Just stop already. It's embarrassing.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

There are zero excuses for losing that game tonight. It was pitiful, brutal, embarrassing, a choke job, all of the above. So I don't want this to come off as an excuse but as an observation....

Hofstra played exactly 1 game against a team ranked better than 310 in kenpom since beating Towson on Feb 2 (and that Drexel team sucked on the road and didn't have justin moore). The vast majority of that win streak was against NEC level competition, which after seeing what happened tonight I think gave hofstra a false sense of security. We gave them credit for finding a way to win that stony brook game, now that more looks like it only happened because SB was that bad.

Hofstra really hadn't faced a legitimate divison 1 team in over a month, and hadn't had to deal with pressure of beating a real team in a real atmosphere as the favorite the entire year. And tonight I think that showed....players and coaches weren't ready for the moment