Speedy

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: Speedy

Post by Jojogunne »

Could be an opportunity for Mike Farrelly.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I wonder if Cluess would take over the reigns again at Iona if Pitino ends up going.

As for Speedy at St. John's, I would be very surprised if it happened, but I don't think it would be a terrible move for St. John's. I don't think it's a great job anymore though.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I think Cluess retired for health reasons.

As for St. John's, the allure is gone. Playing at MSG used to be very special, when there weren't as many big arenas and the Knicks were in their prime, but other markets have surpassed NYC in college hoops. Even the NIT doesn't have its final four at MSG. Also not sure how SJU's on-campus facilities compare with those at other big schools today.

I wish the Johnnies and Pitino luck. It would be good for them to regain their glory, and play other local teams, too.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oh SJU is definitely a shadow of itself. Their facilities are a joke compared to today, and MSG has lot a lot of luster as well. They need a tremendous amount of updating to matter in today's landscape. BUT they don't need allure. The allure will follow Pitino wherever he goes. And he will bring in money to resurrect. He is a proven winner at every level he's ever touched. He will have his next program in the NCAAT in 2 years. Or less. I think it's SJU's best and last chance to find any sense of relevancy before the NCAA implodes on itself. And he will be worth every penny.

Mike Brey is another intriguing option for someone. The Hoyas appear to be going heavy after him or Shrewsbury, which will be interesting for Farrelly. Now I like Mike a lot, good dude and a great family, but he is not getting a HC gig yet. Not enough juice there yet. Needs more hype.

Grasso to Iona is a maybe, but frankly not sure that's a big enough hire. Iona has a super buyout for Pitino at 5M. They set themselves up nicely to be able to go and land another top level coach. Though Grasso has helped Bryant become relevant in their conference, he hasn't really gained any national noise yet. I think Iona can do better. Can't go from Cluess to Pitino to a so-so.

Colgate's HC is in line for a nice jump if he wants it - has achieved a lot in a barren land. As usual a lot of coaching carousel activity this year.

P.S. I sure hope Cole and HU put together a high buyout for Speedy as well. Best way for a mid major to set themselves up for the future.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Although the St. John's program is not what it used to be, MSG is still a very big deal for players at all levels and thus, a slight help for St. John's with recruiting. Even NBA vets still say they love playing at MSG.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:Grasso to Iona is a maybe, but frankly not sure that's a big enough hire. Iona has a super buyout for Pitino at 5M. They set themselves up nicely to be able to go and land another top level coach. Though Grasso has helped Bryant become relevant in their conference, he hasn't really gained any national noise yet. I think Iona can do better. Can't go from Cluess to Pitino to a so-so.

Colgate's HC is in line for a nice jump if he wants it - has achieved a lot in a barren land. As usual a lot of coaching carousel activity this year.
Grasso seems like a logical choice for Iona due to his connections to the program, and he's a great recruiter on this level. Just not very impressed with his x's and o's, mediocre performance in the America East this year with maybe the most talent in the conference. I agree, I think Iona can get a better coach.

Lengel is a hell of a coach, he's done an amazing job at Colgate. I think he's running to Temple after this year though.

I'll be interested to see where Iona goes from here because it's hard not to be impressed with that program's success despite the mediocre facilities, they seem to hit home run after home run with their coaching choices.

As for the Johnnies, I saw an article in the Post the other day where they got Fraschilla's take on where they should go with the coaching search, and I thought he was on point. St John's should go to a younger upcoming coach to build the program. I ultimately think they break the bank for Pitino and get some short-term success/relevance, but I doubt it affects their long-term trajectory as a fading star of a program.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pitino has agreed in principle to be the next head coach at St. John's. Six-year deal.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just saw this on a news 12 alert. It will be interesting to see how he does there. I think he's lucky to get that job based on the negative part of his resume.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Iona didn't care and neither does St. John's.

Just win, baby!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah that is for sure all about winning doesn't matter how you do it.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Pitino's getting $20 million over six years. That's NBA money.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Yeah, they are taking half of it from Mike Anderson from what I'm reading. Lol.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Pitino's getting $20 million over six years. That's NBA money.
A relative bargain for a coach of Pitino's stature. Ed Cooley will be getting $6 million annually from Georgetown.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

FDU Coach Tobin Anderson is the new HC at Iona.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:FDU Coach Tobin Anderson is the new HC at Iona.
Completely get it, don't fault Anderson at all, it's a business, etc., etc., but I hate this part about March Madness. First of all, I think schools are often too hasty (just like NBA GMs are) and too put SO much weight on what happens in the NCAAT when making their decisions, but more so - Tobin and his players just shared something incredibly special together at FDU and they barely have a chance to reflect on it and to enjoy what they accomplished, and Tobin's out the door... just like Shaheen Holloway last year (even though, yes, he played at Seton Hall), just like Andy Enfield after only two years at FGCU before bolting for USC, and on, and on. It all makes a lot of sense, but it's tough to see, especially right after the miracle moments are accomplished in the NCAATs.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Perfect move for SJU and Pitino. This board loves to hate him lol, but he’s one of the best coaches of ALL time. He will have the Johnnies back in the dance in 2 years. I love the move. And hopefully HU will play them regularly now. We’ll see.

Iona hiring the FDU guy is surprising - they made a ton of money from the Pitino buyout, I think they could’ve done better (?). But who knows they’ve made FANTASTIC hires for years, maybe he’ll be the next. What he did in 1 year at FDU with a bunch of no name D2 kids was awesome. Small sample size though, could just as easily be a flash in the pan…

College coaching is all about opportunity windows - you have to strike when you’re hot and get your money while you can. And the money is HUGE. Can’t fault them.

But the college game is being ruined make no mistake. The NCAA will destroy itself eventually.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Mike Rhoades from VCU heading to Penn State. Farrelly looks like a free agent again.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

cactus wrote:Mike Rhoades from VCU heading to Penn State. Farrelly looks like a free agent again.

PSU - great hire

Farrelly - i am guessing he goes to TEMPLE as an assistant - Temple hired Farrellys fellow PSU assistant - Adam Fisher as their Head Coach - i guess he goes with Fisher
Polito

Post by Polito »

Definitely a strong hire for PSU, but a questionable move for Rhoades - definitely purely about the dough. PSU is a dead end program. It will go nowhere. Plenty of strong coaches have passed through, and moved right along for that reason. Not even sure it's a stepping stone.

I think VCU is a MUCH more attractive program - they have nearly owned the A10 since moving over, make the NCAAT routinely, have a rep for advancing, in a talent rich region, a hoops only school, good enough pay, on and on.

PSU is 100% a football school and does not care one iota about basketball other than for 'show'. Nor should it frankly, that's not their bag.

Wonder where VCU will go next?? Excellent job...

As for Farrelly, stinky for him - didn't even have a chance to make an 'assistant level' name for himself. He needs to find a great opp to make a real run for a few years at a program making real noise with a dynamic HC to bring in the attention. Hope he lands on his feet again in an even better spot.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Farrelly follows Shrewsberry to Notre Dame , hired as assistant