Speedy

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: Speedy

Post by Jojogunne »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:That was probably written by ChatGPT:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -extension
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but AI was writing most of the AP CBB articles this year using the Data Skrive program.
A little of both. I did know some websites used computer programs to generate content, but I did not know the name.

To me, “artificial intelligence” is something of an oxymoron. Image
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID80 wrote:Congratulations to Speedy! This recognition is well-deserved and it will hopefully keep him at Hofstra.
The key now is to support this program and get to the next level...we should be aggressively pursuing the A10...that's where this program belongs. It will be tough to get there but we should do everything in our power to make it happen.
The latest bracketology has no at large teams from the A10...perhaps if VCU loses in the final they would be considered.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ESPN has not given the A10 an at-large bid at any time this season. They are twelfth in the Conference NET, and VCU is 67th in the NET. There is a giant difference between VCU's NET SOS of 177th and RPI SOS of 65th. They are 24-7, and having that record with an SOS 65th would get a team in, whereas that record with an SOS of 177th probably would not. If they lose in the A10 Final, they will be 26-8 on Selection Sunday. They have no Quadrant 1 wins. I wonder what the record is for most wins by an A10 team that did not make the NCAA Tournament.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Evan, what is a Quadrant 1 win?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I think it is top 75 rated team
Wags

Post by Wags »

Quad 1: home vs. NET 1-30, neutral vs. 1-50, road vs. 1-75
Quad 2: home vs. NET 31-75, neutral vs. 51-100, road vs. 76-135
Quad 3: home vs. NET 76-160, neutral vs. 101-200, road vs. 136-240
Quad 4: home vs. NET 161+, neutral vs. 200+, road vs. 241+
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Thanks, Wags.

Also, here’s another good article about Speedy. They still remember him in Philly;

https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports ... utType=amp
Wags

Post by Wags »

If Speedway, which offers Speedy Rewards, doesn't do an ad campaign with Speedy it'll be the biggest missed opportunity since Spree candy didn't do an ad campaign with Latrell Sprewell.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

How about Chris Paul giving speedy a chance on his insurance commercial
Chris will say that claims are settled very quickly before the commercial is over there a speedy with a check for Chris’s customer
Chris claims that was fast!
Then speedy says they don’t call me speedy for nothing
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Good one Stu that sounds like a winner!
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:How about Chris Paul giving speedy a chance on his insurance commercial
Chris will say that claims are settled very quickly before the commercial is over there a speedy with a check for Chris’s customer
Chris claims that was fast!
Then speedy says they don’t call me speedy for nothing
Ha! That could work.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Good thing we locked up Speedy. The St. John's job is open again. Hope they consider Van Macon in their "national search."
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Van would be a good fit but I think they want to make a big splash. Look for a bigger name
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Pitino?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jojogunne wrote:Good thing we locked up Speedy. The St. John's job is open again. Hope they consider Van Macon in their "national search."
FWIW, this NY Post articles claims that he’s interested in the position….

https://nypost.com/2023/03/10/breaking- ... coach/amp/
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yes, Speedy's name is being bantered about but I think they need to go with Pitino...maybe we thewn can play St. John's again.
Polito

Post by Polito »

St Johns is not hiring Speedy Claxton. He might be 4th or 5th on their list, at best. I know he's our legend, I get it, but he's accomplished next to nothing yet on a national scale. This will likely offend someone on this board, I have no doubt.

I can't stand SJU, but historically that is one of the top 50 college hoops programs. They have completely bombed their last few hires. The program is a mess. But the potential is absolutely there. They need a top flight PROVEN HC. They need a leader who is a program resurrector and builder. Not a hope. Lavin has been their best in the last 30+ YEARS, think about that, and he only had a .60 winning % and was out in 5 years. Pitino would be a home run hire, but they'll have to give him a stellar package to outbid the Hoyas or TT or whoever.

You all get a bit wrapped up in the Hofstra hype. The objective reality is that Speedy has been a HC for all of 2 seasons, he's won 20+ games in each (which is nice, but not nearly as big of a deal as some of you make it out to be), and has bowed out in the quarterfinals and the semis in one of the worst conferences in the entire NCAA. And that's WITH the POY.

He's not the first choice on any list except HU. That's just local media hype. Speedy might have interest, sure, but he's not one of their top targets. There are other mid major guys who have done more and have the dances on their resume. And that matters.

College coaching has become absurd, and the coaches are cashing in on nothing but pure hype, possibility, and maybes. Kudos to them, I knock no one for being able to get all they can. But coaches and their agents have mastered this game and are playing the system beautifully. Speedy wasn't going to be hired away by ANY big program this year, I will take that to the bank. A Fordham level, sure. A Georgetown or SJU? No.

But he smartly used the extremely low % ("so you're telling me there's a chance?!") as leverage because hey who can really say for sure. He landed himself a fantastic extension on some far out possibility that wasn't going to really happen because it's hard to tangibly prove it. HU also knows they will have a hard finding someone better because they simply don't have the skill nor the crazy $ it takes today to buy winners.

CofC was at MUCH greater risk to lose Kelsey because he's proven more. Nope, doesn't matter that Speedy beat them once. They produced a RANKED program, a 30 win season (!), and an NCAAT berth. In year 2. He would be a near lock at GT w/out that new $.

I am not against Speedy's extension, despite what my fan club thinks, BUT I do think it's a bit premature based on a VERY small sample size - and one that actually hasn't proven he's going to put out an NCAA program consistently yet. Can he? Think/hope so. Will he? Up to him. Speedy wasn't the best coach available, and still isn't, but I do think he's one of the best guys for this program - largely because it's clear he truly loves it. He will take care of it. And he is good. He just isn't great...yet.

And if you all think I'M tough and "unrealistic" on him and this program LOL :lol: go visit a few other programs. This is child's play.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

It's DONE in My opinion. Pitino to St. John's. They are desperate for some exposure and wins, even if it's a short term solution. Heck they don't even have to relocate him!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If Pitino leave for St Johns does that mean we will see Tom Pecora at iona
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:If Pitino leave for St Johns does that mean we will see Tom Pecora at iona
Don't think so...Pitino says Massiello will go with him but I think Iona will look seriously at him as well as Grasso at Bryant.