Speedy

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
CTDutch

Speedy

Post by CTDutch »

Rothstein is reporting that Speedy has received a multi-year contract extension. Good for him
stuball888

Re: Speedy

Post by stuball888 »

Good lets lock down the rest of his staff
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I have a feeling some may disagree (maybe one person anyway) but i think this is a great move! Love what I've seen so far and want him here for a long time. If he keeps the level of OOC scheduling, recruiting and passion, i think this program can take the step to the next level. While he as only been at the helm for 2 years, he's been here for a while (is it 10 years?). He seems like he wants to commit here, so no issue committing to him.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Really like this as well coaches coaching at their ALMA MATER who have passion for the sport and like Speedy has said I don't consider this a job having too much fun or something like that. Simon another successful coach here that was also a player.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

On CSNBBS, a fan said Charleston doubled Pat Kelsey's salary, and a response was that in order to afford that they must be leaving the CAA. The non-Football conference they could go to is the A10 if they are willing to have a team that far south. The American Athletic (AAC) accepted Wichita State who does not play Football, so maybe they would be willing to accept another team that does not play Football, and they are having teams leave. In the AAC their conference rival would be East Carolina.

A Northeastern fans started a topic wanting Bill Coen to be fired.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Good to see! Speedy's earned it, showed some real growth as a coach this season. Never took the St Johns rumors seriously (from Speedy's end, st johns certainly should be interested) but this should quiet that down. Interesting coincidence Hofstra announces this hours after Charleston extended Kelsey
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Congrats to Coach Speedy! President Posner and AD Cole,Jr. did the Wright thing! I remember that Coach Speedy said in his introductory press conference, "I won't let you down." We in the HU community are extremely fortunate to have Coach Speedy, his staff, and the athletic administration.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Kelsey’s a million-dollar man now.

Some interesting financial facts in this article. I doubt Hofstra makes much money from ticket sales:

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 30542.html
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote: Good to see! Speedy's earned it, showed some real growth as a coach this season. Never took the St Johns rumors seriously (from Speedy's end, st johns certainly should be interested) but this should quiet that down.
Great news. Same thinking for me regarding St. John's - good reason for St. John's to be interested but Speedy saying during Saturday's postgame conference, "You guys know this is more than a job to me," confirmed for me where I thought his head was at with rumors like that. Hofstra is home and it always will be home for him. I think he'd prefer to build Hofstra into a dynasty (do with NCAAT appearances what they've done with regular season titles over the past five years and past eight years) rather than go anywhere else. Hofstra knows that, but probably not wanting to take any chances, decided they should lock him up for a while right now.
dutchPride86 wrote: Interesting coincidence Hofstra announces this hours after Charleston extended Kelsey
Very interesting, but maybe acting quickly on HU's part was out of the same concern as above? HU might've figured: don't get Speedy upset by not extending him when the counterpart he just beat out for the regular season title was locked up at Charleston.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Loved the original speedy hire and love the extension now.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Congratulations to Speedy! This recognition is well-deserved and it will hopefully keep him at Hofstra.
The key now is to support this program and get to the next level...we should be aggressively pursuing the A10...that's where this program belongs. It will be tough to get there but we should do everything in our power to make it happen.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID80 wrote:The key now is to support this program and get to the next level...we should be aggressively pursuing the A10...that's where this program belongs. It will be tough to get there but we should do everything in our power to make it happen.
Amen to that HUSID!!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

agree 100%!!!!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Some interesting insights from Speedy:

https://www.thehofstrachronicle.com/cat ... 46CXnjOL-c
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Thanks for posting jojo.

I heard last night Rothstein say that Pat Kelsey has out clauses in his new contract if certain schools come calling for him in the future. I don't get the sense that Speedy has that (which is great for us!)
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ESPN wrote about Kelsey. It is good whenever the CAA is written about, but it is bad that ESPN called them champions without saying "co-champions." If Charleston does not make the NCAA Tournament or loses their first game by double-digits, how many major conference teams would want him? Some fans of teams in top conferences want stars who get taken in the NBA Draft after fewer than four seasons, and those fans might not like their team to have the balance Charleston has.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

That was probably written by ChatGPT:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -extension
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Jojogunne wrote:That was probably written by ChatGPT:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -extension
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but AI was writing most of the AP CBB articles this year using the Data Skrive program.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I did not know that Data Skrive was AI. Some of the wording is strange, they only wrote about a minority of CAA games (it used to be all of them), and if you see the box score first, Data Skrive does not tell you anything.