Speedy interview with Andy Katz

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Speedy interview with Andy Katz

Post by triplec2195 »

Really nice interview with Andy discussing a lot about this years team and its success. Speedy alluding to better chemistry then last years team and throwing some shade on a certain player from last years team of course not mentioning names. He credits Estrada's work ethic in really raising Tyler' game and how elated he would be to get to the dance. Worth watching. https://bit.ly/3KyhT6R
Hofstra

Re: Speedy interview with Andy Katz

Post by Hofstra »

He threw Izzy right under the bus. I like it. Buy in, or keep it moving.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thanks for commenting on this Hofstra thought it was a good interview touching on the cohesiveness of this team and the lack thereof of last years team.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Hofstra wrote:He threw Izzy right under the bus. I like it. Buy in, or keep it moving.
I think he was referring to Cramer.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

One thing I think Speedy forgot to praise was his coaching staff. How not only the players have their role but the staff too.
During the timeout huddles I see all the assts being very vocal and instructing them.
I think not only Speedy but Tom, Mike, and Serge have done a great job.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

It's a good point Stu why did I think he was referring to Iyiola. Cramer maybe makes more sense but the staff seem to be a lot of moving parts that r in sync.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

cactus wrote:
Hofstra wrote:He threw Izzy right under the bus. I like it. Buy in, or keep it moving.
I think he was referring to Cramer.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Ahh. Makes sense.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Awesome interview, and great to see Speedy and HU get some bigger attention - Katz is a guy we want in our corner, like a Bilas, and others to gain more notoriety.

Good callout Stu, hopefully inadvertent - this staff seems to really gel, hoping we have a long-term setup here to produce a mid major power.

Not one surprise to me about the lack of chemistry last year - many of us called it out all season long. It was terribly apparent, and beyond frustrating. That player callout was raw lol I love it. And I agree fully Hofstra, get onboard and get your butt in check, or get to steppin. This isn't the playground for ego boosting. D1 is a big $ business of winning championships. And that takes TEAMWORK.

Frankly, I don't think it was relegated to one player. It was very clear that Ray, Cooks, and AE simply couldn't find a rhythm to play great together, and it completely killed this teams potential. Don't think they didn't get along or anything, but they had no synergy at all. Just a lot of talent out there playing individually. And that's the power of team leadership, esp when you don't have it.

I LOVE that Speedy has harped on player leadership from day 1, and more importantly, he seems to have learned a big lesson: talent wins games, TEAMS win championships. I'm disappointed he still had to learn that by now, but very glad he recognized it and adjusted immediately. I've had concerns about his learning curve, many past stars are failing as HC's, but if he takes full ownership, learns and adapts quickly, THAT is a great sign and a HC I can get behind.

That's how a mouse becomes a lion. They lost me in the OOC with underperformance. They've rebuilt some confidence in CAA play. Earn the dance and we may have something special brewing. TBD.