MBB Game 31 Northeastern, 2/25/23 (Sat), 2 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: MBB Game 31 Northeastern, 2/25/23 (Sat), 2 PM

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: winning the regular season title is more difficult than winning the CAA tournament.
I disagree. As of the start of the season, the same teams means the same difficulty. With an unbalanced schedule, the regular season title is not equally difficult for all teams, but the average difficulty for the regular season and Tournament is the same. As of the start of the Tournament, the best teams get byes and easier opponents to make it easier for them.
Jojogunne wrote: Hi, Evan. You continue to impress me, and I'm sure others here, with your mastery of historical MBB data. So I'd like to ask you two questions:

1. This season, Carlos had five games with no points and six games with 1, 2 or 3 points. But he also led the team with an average of 5 APG. How rare is that?

2. Today, Petey Galgano scored twice on consecutive possessions in the last two minutes of the game. However, both scores came on goaltending charges. How rare is something like that?

I wouldn't know where to begin to research the answers to these questions, but maybe you do.

Thanks very much.
Your welcome.

Today was Carlos's seventh game of the season with 3 or fewer points and at least 5 assists. From 2010-2011 to now, 22 players including him as the only player this season averaged at least 5 assists and had at least seven games with 3 or fewer points and at least 5 assists.

It is not possible to find plays or anything with what point in the game something happened in.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
Wags wrote: winning the regular season title is more difficult than winning the CAA tournament.
I disagree. As of the start of the season, the same teams means the same difficulty. With an unbalanced schedule, the regular season title is not equally difficult for all teams, but the average difficulty for the regular season and Tournament is the same. As of the start of the Tournament, the best teams get byes and easier opponents to make it easier for them.
Fair. I think what Speedy was getting that there is that it's hard to win the title over the long haul of the regular season than to get hot and win the conference tourney.

We can talk after the CAA tourney. We're of course hoping to say that for Hofstra, they're about equally difficult (based on the 1 seeds they've had). If they don't win the tourney this year, that'll mean the regular season is easier to win so far (since that would mean four 1 seeds but only one CAA tourney title.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote:
EvanJ wrote:
Fair. I think what Speedy was getting that there is that it's hard to win the title over the long haul of the regular season than to get hot and win the conference tourney.

We can talk after the CAA tourney. We're of course hoping to say that for Hofstra, they're about equally difficult (based on the 1 seeds they've had). If they don't win the tourney this year, that'll mean the regular season is easier to win so far (since that would mean four 1 seeds but only one CAA tourney title.
Are you talking about which is more difficult for us, or which is more difficult for the whole CAA? The regular season can be easier to win for specific teams, such as us who do not use the bench much. At one point I said Mihalich was the coach to get if you want to lose the Final because your players were tired on the third consecutive day. 2020 proved me wrong. I think Charleston will be the most common pick to win the Tournament, and for the second time in our last three regular season titles we will be a 1 seed that was not the most common pick. For 2019 I am going by CAA message board fans, more of whom corrected predicted Northeastern would win the Tournament than predicted we would.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: Are you talking about which is more difficult for us, or which is more difficult for the whole CAA? The regular season can be easier to win for specific teams, such as us who do not use the bench much. At one point I said Mihalich was the coach to get if you want to lose the Final because your players were tired on the third consecutive day. 2020 proved me wrong. I think Charleston will be the most common pick to win the Tournament, and for the second time in our last three regular season titles we will be a 1 seed that was not the most common pick. For 2019 I am going by CAA message board fans, more of whom corrected predicted Northeastern would win the Tournament than predicted we would.
I was just talking about Speedy's comment today, but I guess for all teams in general, I lean toward what Speedy says, that it's tougher to prove you're the best over an 18-game schedule than to get hot for three games. But that can vary from team to team and from year to year. Last year's Delaware team, winning as a 5 seed, would probably say that winning the conference tournament was easier. If Hofstra loses the tournament this year, the results (despite what Speedy says) for the four times they've had the top seed would argue that winning the regular season title would be easier. So, I'm not sure there's any correct answer here.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Polito "swoop in" :D apologies, in and out of the country these weeks...but I absolutely need to chime in considering I gave this program the business in the offseason, and they deserved the knocks with the garbage losses, they have completely turned on the jets and equally deserve MAJOR kudos for taking care of business and winning this league - congrats to Speedy the staff and every player on this team for a well-earned regular season crown!!

This team is really firing - seeing the kind of team I have fully expected and wanted to see from Speedy from day 1. THIS is the way HU hoops should be performing with it's typical level of talent on a yearly basis. CofC peaking as well. I'm not quite counting out Towson fully... the two best teams overall are clear, but who knows in these whacky conf tourney's, believe they will be very motivated to prove themselves.

Going to be a heckuva CAAT for the top group.

HU has achieved 50% of the goal. Now it's time to get nasty and go finish the job. ROLL PRIDE!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Great way to close out the season and WIN the CAA! Congrulations to Speedy, his staff and this team which has really impressed over the last six weeks.
What I DON'T GET is this co-champions business! WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF THE CAA. We beat Charleton in our only matchup to WE hold the tie-breaker. The CAA congratulating both teams is NONESENSE!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:Great way to close out the season and WIN the CAA! Congrulations to Speedy, his staff and this team which has really impressed over the last six weeks.
What I DON'T GET is this co-champions business! WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF THE CAA. We beat Charleton in our only matchup to WE hold the tie-breaker. The CAA congratulating both teams is NONESENSE!
I agree but I think every conference recognizes it the same way when teams "tie."

In terms of strictly regular season titles (which we know is not what it's about), but still puts you in great position to get what it's all about, Hofstra is officially a CAA dynasty: three top seeds in five years and four in eight years.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

They're only giving away ONE CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY so I agree with HUSID lets stop the semantics and concede that we alone are the CAA regular champions. Will COC put up a banner in their venue saying they were the CAA champions or CO- CHAMPIONS OF THE LEAGUE?? HOPE NOT We won it and we earned it!!

This is their post game after blowing out Stony Brook; https://cofcsports.com/news/2023/2/25/m ... title.aspx
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Polito "swoop in" :D apologies, in and out of the country these weeks...but I absolutely need to chime in considering I gave this program the business in the offseason, and they deserved the knocks with the garbage losses, they have completely turned on the jets and equally deserve MAJOR kudos for taking care of business and winning this league - congrats to Speedy the staff and every player on this team for a well-earned regular season crown!!

This team is really firing - seeing the kind of team I have fully expected and wanted to see from Speedy from day 1. THIS is the way HU hoops should be performing with it's typical level of talent on a yearly basis. CofC peaking as well. I'm not quite counting out Towson fully... the two best teams overall are clear, but who knows in these whacky conf tourney's, believe they will be very motivated to prove themselves.

Going to be a heckuva CAAT for the top group.

HU has achieved 50% of the goal. Now it's time to get nasty and go finish the job. ROLL PRIDE!
To prove that "giving the business" and handing out "knocks" are not only one way, but should be given when they're deserved in any direction, I come here with receipts!

I don't like to air dirty laundry like this but I think in this particular case it's called for and it might be the only way you'll learn your lesson for next time. :D

So, FDF board, here's just a sampling of what I spared you, that I had to put up with for you through a myriad of texts this season rather than it being posted here:

Dec 11: "3rd to 4th place team, no dance. Mark this text."
Dec 29: "This team isn't going anywhere. It's one player with no D and no player development."
Dec 30: "Speedy has no clue what to do. I love the dude, he's a legend but he is not ready to be a head coach & lead his team to the promised land like Charleston's staff."
Dec 30: "C of C is going to school Speedy. HU only has a chance because they have great player in AE. That's it."
Dec 30: "I don't need an entire season anymore. It's the same movie."
Dec 31: "Look you are holding on to hope. I won't knock it. This team isn't dancing and you and everyone knows it. They are one player, not a team."
Dec 31: Everybody on the board knows this team is failing and Speedy and staff have majorly disappointed. Everybody knows they aren't dancing. I called it early."
Jan 14: "I was unfortunately right on the money with my predictions after six games. It's worked out pretty much as predicted."
Jan 14: HU isn't very good, plays sloppy and undisciplined, doesn't play D, doesn't have enough options outside of AE and they still haven't developed a post."
Jan 14: "C of C is very impressive, 2nd year staff. Jealous."
Jan 14: "You see a league champ?" (in Hofstra?)
Jan 14: "This team isn't good and has already been exposed."
Jan 14: "AE can't handle the rock like I said from the beginning."
Jan 14: "Speedy has not impressed."
Jan 14: "Speedy has been super disappointing. Not impressed at all."
Jan 14: "What about CofC makes you think they're beatable by HU?"
Jan 16: "I don't like being right about this but the first conf team with half a pulse and HU folds like a cheap suit." (after losing at Towson)
Jan 16: "This team isn't good and Speedy isn't ready to be a head coach."
Jan 16: "They're in for an even ruder awakening against the W and C of C."
Jan 16: "Huge red flag about Speedy and his staff. They play decent a couple of games, then bomb, usually against real teams."
Jan 19: "This is who they are. They are up and down, win and lose - they have zero consistency - that's not a champion."
Jan 19: "How many years are you going to pretend like January doesn't matter? The season is over [soon]. These are the games that DO matter."
Jan 19: "Just look at Charleston's roster. They are going to wipe the floor with HU, esp at home. Much better, much deeper, much bigger, and better coaching staff."
Jan 27: "I see a bad outcome, but like you say, gotta play the games, so I fully hope HU shocks and shows they're ready to be top dog. I just hope it''s not an embarrassing buttkicking." (a day before HU won at Charleston)
Jan 28: "Speedy hasn't done anything he promised so far."
Jan 28: "His teams don't play hard-nosed D, they have no balance, they are inconsistent."

It took me all season, or really, it took Hofstra to make him believe it, but finally, Polito has been talked in off the ledge and there is something we can agree on here:

Feb 8: "Love what I'm seeing but you know it all doesn't matter if you don't cut nets."
Feb 8: "They are on a very good track but they have to DANCE to validate. You know that."

As I've been trying to tell you (maybe now you see it with HU clinching the top seed), it's unrealistic to expect a team with a bunch of key, new pieces to immediately gel and win on a consistent basis against a very tough OOC schedule. Gelling takes time, especially against a tough schedule. We know this! You know this, which is why I kept telling you (often to no avail) to be patient all season and let them play the games before you bury their entire season in November and December, or even in January. We also knew the CAA schedule, and knew that with a few exceptions, that would be much easier in conference play, which again, is why I said, what??? Say it with me now... Let. Them. Play. The. Games. First!

I think I need to use this post to do something official and hereby transfer my Hofstra Kappa Sigma pledge name of Buzzard to you since like a buzzard, you like to swoop in and enjoy the spoils after the work is already done. I think the name is more fitting for you now. But hey, always good to have as many as we can have back on board for March. Just don't break those hopping back onto the bandwagon as bad as Estrada (who CAN handle the rock well) broke some defenders' ankles this season. :lol:

Hope you didn't take the above too seriously, it's meant in fun. In all seriousness, I get where you're coming from - and you're right, even this regular season title doesn't mean that much if it's not validated like it was three years ago. But you also don't win every year you're the one seed. Sometimes you reach the final as a 1 seed or otherwise and come up just a bit short (like they have twice). We routinely see that across the nation every March. You can only put yourself in the best possible position to do that as often as you can. Three 1 seeds in five years, four 1 seeds in eight years says Hofstra has done that very well. A second CAAT title - if they can it this year - out of those four 1 seeds? I'd be fine with that. Not much much more you could ask over that stretch (which all includes Speedy by the way, either as an assistant or as a head coach). This team looks completely focused and ready to cut the nets in a little over a week. Hopefully, they will, maybe they won't. But perhaps if they need just a little extra motivation to keep proving people wrong, they can read your texts. :)
Cards

Post by Cards »

Very nice write-up Wags. Well Done!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:
Very nice write-up Wags. Well Done!!
Thanks for taking the time to check it out.
Wags

Post by Wags »

What a weekend for my two former schools, Bradley and Hofstra, winning men's basketball conference regular season championships on consecutive days.

For Bradley, their first since they last won it exactly 27 years ago today.

Also, kind of funny that they both happen to be 23-8 overall right now.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

ProudofPride wrote:Jay Wright was in attendance

https://twitter.com/CoachJayWright/stat ... 88673?s=20
That is great. Love Coach Wright.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

So, last night NBC News mentioned our win over NE at 6 pm, but did not say that we won the CAA regular season title. Bruce Beck, the usual sports anchor, was still down in Florida at spring training. He probably would have mentioned it.

Tonight, Bruce was back, and he reported on both Fordham winning 20+ games this season and Iona winning their conference title today. He interviewed Rick Pitino (didn't we beat him this year?). He also said that Fordham Coach Keith Urgo would be on his Sports Final show tonight.

Bruce usually treats Hofstra well. I hope our sports information dept. reaches out to him. Maybe he will shoot out to Hempstead to report on our team before they leave for the CAAT.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Calling this cochampions is absolute and complete HORSESH!T. This conf should be ashamed of itself. This is an outright when HU beat the other on their home floor. PERIOD. I hope this BURNS HU up and they go into this tourney with the biggest chip on their shoulders to remove all doubt. Bring FIRE.

Wags, you are such a tool lol ;) - kudos for following my jock for an entire season, I can think of a couple of posters on this board who likely love it and have the same hard on for me - how you and I are in the same fraternity is beyond me :P

My response:

I stand by every statement I made at the time - it was all true, and deserved. The OOC in fact was solid, I loved it, but in no way was it murderers row like you want to make it sound. Losing to MTSU, Mason, and UMass was garbage. And add on an embarrassing loss to A&T. So yeah, they were going down a bad path.

I agree building a team on transfers will lead to a lot of challenges for half a season - I’m not cool with that, because it won’t always work out, but I def get it. I do think if Speedy and Co can continue to bring in guys that give more than 1 year it won’t happen every season.

To your credit, and I fully give this to you, you correctly called the rollercoaster - was just telling Stu how you were spot on - the entire college basketball season has been wild for all teams from the top down - very unpredictable.

But I wonder - if the team hadn’t turn their season around, would you have done the same to yourself, taking yourself to task quoting every post since who knows when?? Lol doubtful. I know we all need our little joys in life, so enjoy!

Yet you should be careful, the nets haven’t been cut yet. I don’t want to hear one excuse from you. If they don’t dance all this is just an afterthought in the books. For the record I think they absolutely can - I think CofC is going to be a big mountain, but hey so will HU.

And finally, all you really needed to say was your one line in that lecture: “you’re right.” I know I am. As much as you hate it, I call it like it is at the time, and it’s 9 times out of 10 the truth. That’ll suffice next time brother 8-)
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: What a weekend for my two former schools, Bradley and Hofstra, winning men's basketball conference regular season championships on consecutive days.

For Bradley, their first since they last won it exactly 27 years ago today.

Also, kind of funny that they both happen to be 23-8 overall right now.
Bradley played Drake with the winner getting the regular season title. I am rooting against Drake because Drake is in Des Moines, which will host NCAA Tournament games, I want to see us (or Charleston) play there, and having Drake in the NCAA Tournament could make them get to play near home and make it less likely that we play in Des Moines.

The nearest Division I team to me, Omaha, was last in the Summit League. The Summit League's Oral Roberts is the only team to go undefeated in conference. I thought about if I would ever want to go to the Summit League Tournament, but it is the same days as the CAA Tournament. The nearest conference tournament to me is the Big 12, but I do not have a rooting interest, and those tickets must be much more expensive than mid-majors.
Polito wrote: Calling this cochampions is absolute and complete HORSESH!T. This conf should be ashamed of itself. This is an outright when HU beat the other on their home floor. PERIOD. I hope this BURNS HU up and they go into this tourney with the biggest chip on their shoulders to remove all doubt. Bring FIRE.

Wags, you are such a tool lol ;) - kudos for following my jock for an entire season, I can think of a couple of posters on this board who likely love it and have the same hard on for me - how you and I are in the same fraternity is beyond me :P

My response:

I stand by every statement I made at the time - it was all true, and deserved. The OOC in fact was solid, I loved it, but in no way was it murderers row like you want to make it sound. Losing to MTSU, Mason, and UMass was garbage. And add on an embarrassing loss to A&T. So yeah, they were going down a bad path.

I agree building a team on transfers will lead to a lot of challenges for half a season - I’m not cool with that, because it won’t always work out, but I def get it. I do think if Speedy and Co can continue to bring in guys that give more than 1 year it won’t happen every season.

To your credit, and I fully give this to you, you correctly called the rollercoaster - was just telling Stu how you were spot on - the entire college basketball season has been wild for all teams from the top down - very unpredictable.

But I wonder - if the team hadn’t turn their season around, would you have done the same to yourself, taking yourself to task quoting every post since who knows when?? Lol doubtful. I know we all need our little joys in life, so enjoy!

Yet you should be careful, the nets haven’t been cut yet. I don’t want to hear one excuse from you. If they don’t dance all this is just an afterthought in the books. For the record I think they absolutely can - I think CofC is going to be a big mountain, but hey so will HU.

And finally, all you really needed to say was your one line in that lecture: “you’re right.” I know I am. As much as you hate it, I call it like it is at the time, and it’s 9 times out of 10 the truth. That’ll suffice next time brother 8-)
It is normal for conferenes say to "co-champions." You may not like it, but it is not specific to the CAA.

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/ ... am=Hofstra says we played the 25th hardest NET nonconference SOS, and the 7th hardest RPI nonconference SOS. That is murderer's row. Only one nonconference game was Quadrant 4, and "quadrant" is a bad term because the quadrants do not have equal amount of games. Quadrant 4 has more games than the others. Seven of twelve Division I games were against teams in the top third, ten were against teams in the top half, and the easiest was George Washington in 210st, which is 42nd percentile.

When a team only returns three players, they need transfers. The transfer rate increased and could increase more, and there are going to be fewer groups of players together for multiple seasons. Regardless of how much eligibility a player has left, I recommend telling yourself that you do not know who will play for us (or any team) next season because assuming you will have guys back will just lead to disappointment when guys transfer away. Furthermore, it is not just good players transferring to better conferences. We had subs like Vukasin Masic, Kvonn Cramer, and Kevin Schutte transfer away.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: It is normal for conferenes say to "co-champions." You may not like it, but it is not specific to the CAA.
Exactly. I don't understand the outrage - especially with regard to the CAA on this - when this is common practice across the nation. But I guess some people just constantly need to hear themselves yell & complain about anything. :roll: