MSG

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
CTDutch

MSG

Post by CTDutch »

Hofstra has announced an agreement with MSG Networks to televise multiple sports throughout the school year. This will begin with 3 basketball games this weekend.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2023/2/21/at ... rship.aspx

At first read, this seems like a terrific move.
Jojogunne

Re: MSG

Post by Jojogunne »

Good move for HU. The more coverage on cable TV, the better. Apparently, SNY is not interested or has too many other commitments (including SBU).

I believe Armando Polanco, the MSG exec quoted in the announcement, is a Hofstra alum. His brother, Nicky, is one of the best lacrosse defenders ever, at both the collegiate and professional levels. MSG also carries the NLL Riptide games.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Nice to see!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Great move by MSG and Hofstra
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Finally. I know we will still be on that clown show Flo, but having our stuff on MSG is great.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Maybe this gets some Knicks fans who would normally never follow Hofstra Basketball at all to start doing so, and to bring them to The Mack.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Also now that we have exposure on MSG maybe the Daily News and the Post will be covering us more
If we are successful this could have a snowball effect.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Tremendous news! This was a beyond necessary step for Hofstra to take in light of the new Flo deal. Would assume MSG is just simulcasting Hofstra's Flo productions (like SNY does) and not actually providing their own broadcasts, but still great and needed exposure for the program. It was getting really annoying seeing Stony Brook and Monmouth home games on SNY recently in the same time slots as Hofstra home games that were Flo only. Would like to see Hofstra/Flo/MSG work to at least update Hofstra's score bug to include fouls, timeouts, and bonus info (things that are all standard on any ESPN+ bug btw). The younger professional guys Hofstra has gotten to call pxp the last couple seasons have done a nice job, wonder if we'd start to get a more seasoned pro on color as well for the games that air on MSG.

Now if only Dolan would ever settle his dumb feud and we could actually get MSG back on Comcast in my neck of the woods in CT (probably a better chance of Hofstra making back to back Final 4s than that ever happening though) …
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I was wondering if this HU-MSG agreement could lead to any basketball games scheduled at MSG. I would like to see HU as a part of a doubleheader with other local colleges such as St. John's or Rutgers which have had games at MSG this season. How about a return match up with Saint Mary's?
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:I was wondering if this HU-MSG agreement could lead to any basketball games scheduled at MSG. I would like to see HU as a part of a doubleheader with other local colleges such as St. John's or Rutgers which have had games at MSG this season. How about a return match up with Saint Mary's?
Bring back the ECAC Holiday Festival.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Now wouldn't that be great where we have some GOOD history!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Although our OOC was fantastic this year, nothing like a gritty local game in late November, early December. Rainy weekday night. Draddy, St. Francis' gym, Alumni Hall. Have to showcase some of those local games on MSG.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Unread postby Flying Dutchmen » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:38 pm

Although our OOC was fantastic this year, nothing like a gritty local game in late November, early December. Rainy weekday night. Draddy, St. Francis' gym, Alumni Hall. Have to showcase some of those local games on MSG.

Agreed - but showing your age - lol
Polito

Post by Polito »

HUGE news, meant to comment earlier, but just to pile on the kudos - GREAT move by HU - can't rely on the joke of a CAA to do anything to help this conf or the program. Go right around their cluelessness and do it on your own.

LOVE IT.

And age shm-age, heck yes bring back the ECAC! Great event! Or do something similar - the NY market has really dropped the ball thanks to it's ego. Some fantastic regional matchups for charity to be had - doesn't have to be NY - I wouldn't limit it like that. But the northeast - so much to gain by a well-marketed well-intended event! Makes too much sense for the powers that be I guess :roll: :?

HU should LEAD it - just like CofC does for their Classic - why not?? Take control. And purposely leave SJU OUT of it :P would rather have Seton Hall, Rutgers, UConn, Syracuse, BC, and a myriad of others involved before / over them - screw 'em! LOL - host it in one of the big venues, put a big charity and some key sponsors behind it, and I bet this could happen relatively easily.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I have already said how a tournament could have four parts of the area with us, a team in New York City, a team north of New York City, and a team in New Jersey. Your statement that it does not have to be restricted to New York makes me think about a tournament that could have a Boston area team, us, Philadelphia area team, and Baltimore and D.C. area team. One way would be three days at one site that rotates so each region gets to host every four years. With one team from each region, it would be round-robin, albeit that could make a tie for the best record. With two teams from each region (which would allow a New York City area team other than us), each half of the bracket could have one team from each region. If teams do not want to rent a big venue and/or do not think many people would come to neutral site games, they could make every game at a campus. With eight teams, each region could have one team get two of three at home, and one team get two of three away so that every region hosted and went to every other region. Each region would have a record with six games, which could produce a tie, but six games makes a tie less likely than three games does.

I would not count on top conference teams willing to play a neutral site tournament with mid-majors, and we can always find top conference teams to go to without needing a tournament. A tournament with eight mid-majors would give an early sense of who is good outside the top conferences without those teams having to beat a top conference team.