Hofstra softball 2023

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
dutchalum01

Re: Hofstra softball 2023

Post by dutchalum01 »

What a gutsy win!!! Great game and a great end to CAA championship for these 5th year seniors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I saw the entire 2nd game and the crowd was great. A lot of high energy noise from some of our sports dept. players making sure they drowned out the faithful Towson fans and they were loud but we were louder. As the game went on more and more fans piled in. I really think that Coach Clark had a great game plan to start Mullin who gave us 3 good innings. She gave up a two run homer in the third but pitched well. Then Coach Clark brought in Pisapia who really threw Towson hitters off stride with her assortment of off speed stuff. She hung in there for 2.2 until the 6th when she walked home a run. We brought in Apsel which everyone knew was going to happen and with the bases loaded she gave up a single that brought in another run. Now we were down 4-2. We get back a run in the bottom of the 6th on some shaky outfield play from Towson but couldn't tie it up. In the bottom of the 7th down 1 of course a lot of people were thinking walkoff but still needed a run to tie. We send up Brianna Morse to pinch hit. I don't remember the last time I saw her hit but she got a big ovation definitely some Mepham fans there and delivered a double up the gap in left center field. The place was rocking. Malinowski then comes in to pinch hit and works a long count to finally walk. We get another single to load the bases with no out. Now I figure we're in a great place to either tie or win but Manto hits back to the box and forces a runner at home. Everyone went crazy when Giordano came to the plate and she ripped a pitch down the left line that just was foul. Then hits a hard grounder to third and they get another force at the plate. NOW WE'RE DOWN TO OUR LAST OUT LAST STRIKE and Ioppolo who fouled off a pitch swung threw another but lined a hit into the gap in left center scoring two and everybody just went crazy there. I don't remember being so ecstatic over a victory like this one. Anyone who missed this game missed a really special competitive game. We got solo homeruns from Catanzarita and Giordano of course. The all CAA tournament team for us was made up of Kasey Collins, Catanzarita and Julia Apsel with Giordano getting the MVP.

So in two short years under coach Clark we go from Rags to Riches and now seem to be moving back to prominence where we belong. Just incredible Kudos to the team and everything they accomplished this year.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Sun May 14, 2023 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlDlnrsVzuI and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4klwj4aKiAU are highlights. We won close games like the Baseball team did last year.

The Selection Show is tomorrow at 7:00 P.M. The CAA had a bad nonconference winning percentage. I haven't seen rankings of all the teams, but I'll be impressed if we win any NCAA Tournament games. Going from a bad record to above .500 and in the NCAA Tournament is still great.
JoeyBagODonuts1

Post by JoeyBagODonuts1 »

Congratulations to the Softball team on an impressive Championship!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
Hofstra Football. Undefeated since 2009!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

What a great performance by our Pride! All tough games, played with grit, determination and talent!

Congratulations on a job well done!
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Of all our many conference softball titles this one is most satisfying because of manner in which they accomplished it in such dramatic fashion. Kudos to Coach Clark on reestablishing a winning culture in the program and I’m especially happy for Meghan Giordano to get a taste of NCAA stage before her career ends.

mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

The posts say it all. Congrats to these young ladies. Hope they have a great trip where ever they are sent and enjoy their accomplishment.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Congrats

Well Done
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Congrats to Coach Clark her staff and the players on an incredible run
Always said that Adrian Clark was the perfect picK to bring this Hofstra program back to prominence
Bill Edwards said give her a couple years and she will have the team on the right track
She accomplished this with a pitching staff minus her ace
A couple of side bars here
Props to Meghan Giordano on staying
When Larissa Anderson left to take the job at Missouri, she had all the reasons in the world to leave, but decided to stay glad to see that it has finally paid off for her
Another is our first baseman Iopolo
In our loss to Towson it was her error in the field that led to them taking a 2 to 1 lead also into it that she left five runners on base
Instead of hanging her head, she came up big time not only atbat but in the field, making a steller play on a bloop in the infield
She also had the game-winning hit, which is probably one of the biggest hits in Hofstra Softball history
Best part about this game. It’s a player can get redemption.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Tough draw, against #1 overall seed Oklahoma. Also have Missouri/Larissa Anderson in the same regional.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I believe Larrissa Anderson was Adrienne Clarks pitching coach whe she pitched for Hofstra
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

No chance of beating Oklahoma who lost 1 GAME ALL YEAR but wouldn't it be nice to beat Missouri!!
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

triplec2195 wrote:No chance of beating Oklahoma who lost 1 GAME ALL YEAR but wouldn't it be nice to beat Missouri!!
Never say never. Unlikely yes, impossible no. But yes, even sweeter beating Larissa. LFG Pride!!

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We start on Friday at 5:00 P.M. The advantage of facing the Number 1 seed is that we are on ESPNU, whereas most regional games are not televised. Saturday's tripleheader starts at 3:00 P.M.

There are 303 teams in the RPI, which the NCAA has updated through Thursday. That makes the average rank be 152nd, and the CAA's average rank is 216th. Given how weak the CAA is, I am surprised to a .520 winning percentage was good enough to be in the top half, but we are 151st. Delaware in 139th is the only other CAA team in the top half.

The Big East has an average rank worse than the average rank of all teams, and their champion, Seton Hall, has to start against a seeded team.

In 2015 we went to Number 1 seed Florida and lost 7-0 when we were much better. The Selection Show said the winning percentage record is 54-2. A team that wins every game has to win 10 games to be champion. If Oklahoma wins the title while losing 0 or 1 game, they break the record. They must be champion to have a chance at breaking the record because every eliminated team has at least 2 losses, with 2 losses in the round they are eliminated in and up to 3 losses in earlier rounds. Florida State, who I like, is the Number 3 seed, and opens by hosting another area team with a similar record to us, Marist. Three of the top five seeds are hosting area teams, as 5 seed Alabama hosts LIU.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Team flew to Oklahoma earlier today
Triple C if you get a chance check your PM
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Team flew to Oklahoma earlier today
Triple C if you get a chance check your PM
Done Stu right on about Coach Clark really like her style. She seems so calm and supportive. She made good moves in that last game especially last inning.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Good luck ladies!!!

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We get beat 11-0 and we only get one hit from the freshman Morse who doubled. I thought they would play small ball and bunt her over with no out but no they leave her stranded. The pitcher for Oklahoma threw nothing but strikes mixed up her pitches well and just dominated. I just wish we would have plaYED BETTER D Apsel pitched well gave up 3 runs but only 2 earned on a 2 run home run. I'm thinking they not only wanted to show Oklahoma some different style pitchers but know they need Apsel to start tomorrow. Went pretty much as expected.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Sat May 20, 2023 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Looking forward to tomorrow. I think pretty much anyone who runs into Oklahoma will lose as we did. Expecting (hoping for) a competitive game against Larissa tomorrow.

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We're playing U of California today @5:30 not Missouri.