MBB Game 29 Hampton, 2/16/23 (Thurs), 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ZMAN3

Re: MBB Game 29 Hampton, 2/16/23 (Thurs), 7 PM

Post by ZMAN3 »

3 things happened at the game yesterday not mentioned. The first was the playing of a song which was played over the sound system which very few people knew what it was - everyone stood through it because by rote we thought it was for the National Anthem. When it was through we were told to please rise and remove our caps for the playing of the NA (even though everyone was already standing) 2. Hampton player fouled Yiadom where it hurts and was ejected from the game - an F2 Flagrant foul. Not too many of those. 3. Speedy got a technical foul late in the second half when we were up 30 - First time I've seen that happen - EVER - watching BB over 65 years.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Zman I think the first song might have been black national anthem, because the theme for this night was all inclusive
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ZMAN3 wrote:3 things happened at the game yesterday not mentioned. The first was the playing of a song which was played over the sound system which very few people knew what it was - everyone stood through it because by rote we thought it was for the National Anthem. When it was through we were told to please rise and remove our caps for the playing of the NA (even though everyone was already standing) 2. Hampton player fouled Yiadom where it hurts and was ejected from the game - an F2 Flagrant foul. Not too many of those. 3. Speedy got a technical foul late in the second half when we were up 30 - First time I've seen that happen - EVER - watching BB over 65 years.
Your first point wasn't mentioned here ZMAN but #2 was brought up by JoJo and #3 brought up by daHuPride. I commented on the foul also after JoJo brought it up. Just sayin.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID80 wrote: Wags its worse than ever now...even during the jenkins era we averaged more than 3,000 per home game, not so long age...we have the Met area's best player who no one knows about, great facilities, good game expereince, etc...you would think we could get 2,500 in the building just opening our doors.
Me thinks we need to work the community harder...it seems we just communicate with the Hofstra family via social media and little else.
Here is what we averaged with Jenkins:

2007-2008 (Antoine Agudio was the CAA's leading scorer with 22.7 and Jenkins scored 15.0): 2,740
2008-2009 (Jenkins scored 19.7): 2,681
2009-2010 (Jenkins scored 20.6): 2,410
2010-2011 (Jenkins scored 22.6, which was sixth in Division I): 3,073

Our best attendance in a season in the CAA was 3,623 in 2006-2007 when Loren Stokes, Agudio, and Carlos Rivera returned from a team that got snubbed, but the frontcourt was poor after Aurimas Kieza and Adrian Uter graduated, and the season ended by losing to George Mason in the CAA Quarterfinals. In 2015-2016 when we won our first regular season title and Juan'ya Green won Player of the Year, we averaged 1,685. In 2018-2019 when Justin Wright-Foreman was a senior, we averaged 2,225. In 2019-2020, we averaged 2,837.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

stuball888 wrote:Zman I think the first song might have been black national anthem, because the theme for this night was all inclusive
You're right, Stu. According to Hofstra's Hampton preview, "The game will serve as Hofstra's Multicultural Night/Black History Celebration/Equity & Inclusion Game."

The song before the national anthem was "Lift Every Voice and Sing":

https://naacp.org/find-resources/histor ... e-and-sing

I did not see or hear anything about this emphasis at the game, only in the preview.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I did the marketing g for 10-11. Maybe they should hire my company again!

Clearly they are not spending the same dollars as then.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Hofstra wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:Agree with all that is being said about this because I beleive it is truly special and the lumps we took early in out of conference and without Estrada are paying dividends now.
What befuddles me is the LACK OF FAN SUPPORT FOR THIS TEAM. Announced crowd of 1,800 looked like less on the Flo coverage and where are the students?
Why don'r we give them t shirts EVERY game or something as that appears its the only way they will show up.
Hope they have something special planned for Senior Day...these days who knows who's a senior?????
Downright pathetic at this point. It was my first time at The Macka this year, and it looked awesome. They did such a great job inside the Arena. My buddy and I could not believe the lack of support from the students. It was pathetic to see. What more can this team do to earn their support?

The Stony Brook "sellout" was the first game I've been able to attend in person in a few years (I live over 120 miles away), and hate to say I was also pretty disappointed in the crowd. Outside of the baseball team there were still almost no students, and for a "sellout" the crowd was still incredibly quiet. There seemed to be no feel of when or what to cheer for, I started to almost by instinct chant "defense" a couple of times in the second half and honestly felt embarrassed as I looked around and saw no one else was.

I also get why Hofstra raised ticket prices to make up for lost revenue from Covid, but I do think $22/$16 is pretty steep for Hofstras level and may be a factor in some people staying away (no way the 200 level seats should be more than 10, especially the one section behind the hoop that's still open). The lack of student support I still just don't understand though, I'm not an alum so can't speak to the hofstra student experience, but there have to better solutions to get students to turn up (esp since we know there's no way any college student is paying the ridiculous price for Flo and watching at home). If they could ever consistently fill that one section with loud students it would dramatically change the game day atmosphere.

I remember being there for a real 5000+ sellout for the ranked George Mason game in '05-'06, it can be done for a regular season game.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

dutchPride86 wrote: I remember being there for a real 5000+ sellout for the ranked George Mason game in '05-'06, it can be done for a regular season game.
We got 5,047 for the last regular season home game and the NIT Quarterfinal loss to Old Dominion, but not hosting George Mason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.