Second Best Player CAA

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Second Best Player CAA

Post by triplec2195 »

Does anyone feel the way that I do about Tyler Thomas getting some votes for the second best player in this league. I know we don't vote on this and Speedy has said repeatedly that he's a first team all CAA player but what about 2nd best player in this league. He's the 2nd leading scorer in the league at 19.4 to Aarons 20.2. He's 3rd in FG% AT 53% AND 4th in 3 point % at 44%. There were people here that downplayed his stats coming from the NEC that he scored a lot off of inferior teams but the reality really was and is he scores off of everyone. He plays D as well and is in the top 20 in the league in steals at 1.2 a game. A really great get for this coaching staff and kudos to Tyler for having a great year. THOUGHTS?
dutchalum01

Re: Second Best Player CAA

Post by dutchalum01 »

triplec2195 wrote:Does anyone feel the way that I do about Tyler Thomas getting some votes for the second best player in this league. I know we don't vote on this and Speedy has said repeatedly that he's a first team all CAA player but what about 2nd best player in this league. He's the 2nd leading scorer in the league at 19.4 to Aarons 20.2. He's 3rd in FG% AT 53% AND 4th in 3 point % at 44%. There were people here that downplayed his stats coming from the NEC that he scored a lot off of inferior teams but the reality really was and is he scores off of everyone. He plays D as well and is in the top 20 in the league in steals at 1.2 a game. A really great get for this coaching staff and kudos to Tyler for having a great year. THOUGHTS?
He’s an incredible talent, fantastic addition and absolutely #2 based off stats and watching him play. With those two having another year of eligibility, I would welcome that in a split second. I don’t remember Hofstra fielding a team that looks this complete in 20 years. JC, Williams, Dubar, Nelson and the rest are killing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

the 2019-2020 team was not chopped liver Buie, Pemberton, Ray, Coburn and Kante. Team was not as deep as this team though. In the CAA that teams starters avg 37 minutes per man
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Thomas is going to look better in CAA-only statistics that triplec2195 said because the CAA is bad, and we played a hard non-conference schedule. The question is what statistics the awards voters will use. I have awards voting for 2014-2015 through 2018-2019, but recently the CAA has not announced the point totals, in which case we will never know who the voters thought was second best.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:the 2019-2020 team was not chopped liver Buie, Pemberton, Ray, Coburn and Kante. Team was not as deep as this team though. In the CAA that teams starters avg 37 minutes per man
That was a very good team but this team is better and like you say deeper. Players on the bench have been getting valuable minutes and we're deep in the post with Dubar, Plotnikov, Williams and Boachie-Yiadom. We've gotten good minutes from Washington and Marshall as well. Buie in his senior year was an incredible player and he had a great championship game. He should of been the POTY.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:Thomas is going to look better in CAA-only statistics that triplec2195 said because the CAA is bad, and we played a hard non-conference schedule. The question is what statistics the awards voters will use. I have awards voting for 2014-2015 through 2018-2019, but recently the CAA has not announced the point totals, in which case we will never know who the voters thought was second best.
That's a good point do they solely look at the stats within the conference or do they look at the overall picture. If it's a CAA award only shouldn't it be CAA only stats??
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good thread... this kid has really become a powerhouse - what a scorer, dangerous at all levels, and has proven to be a perfect compliment to AE. Something last years team did not have, cohesion among the stars. Really enjoyable player to watch. Seems like a winner all around.

If HU can somehow get AE and TT back, with Carlos and Dubar upper classmen, and the rest of the returning gang, even I will say in the 'way too early predictions category' that team could be one of the best ever in program history.

TC, with all due respect, this team isn't better until it cuts nets. Regular season stat warriors don't = greatness. Earn the dance and then you earn the place in history. Not before.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Polito wrote:Good thread... this kid has really become a powerhouse - what a scorer, dangerous at all levels, and has proven to be a perfect compliment to AE. Something last years team did not have, cohesion among the stars. Really enjoyable player to watch. Seems like a winner all around.

If HU can somehow get AE and TT back, with Carlos and Dubar upper classmen, and the rest of the returning gang, even I will say in the 'way too early predictions category' that team could be one of the best ever in program history.

TC, with all due respect, this team isn't better until it cuts nets. Regular season stat warriors don't = greatness. Earn the dance and then you earn the place in history. Not before.
I don’t think anyone is saying this team is better, but at eye level, I don’t remember us having a more complete team than the one I’m watching now.

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

dutchalum01 wrote:
Polito wrote:Good thread... this kid has really become a powerhouse - what a scorer, dangerous at all levels, and has proven to be a perfect compliment to AE. Something last years team did not have, cohesion among the stars. Really enjoyable player to watch. Seems like a winner all around.

I don’t think anyone is saying this team is better, but at eye level, I don’t remember us having a more complete team than the one I’m watching now.

Fair points here Polito and dutch maybe I'm jumping the gun we haven't cut the nets but I like the depth on this team more then the Buie team and I also think that while the league is watered down and filled with sub-par teams the top of this league is strong and very competitive. COC, UNCW, Towson and us and with possibly Drexel on the outside looking in. Again no cakewalk to the nets for sure but as of right now we're playing better then anyone.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The teams other than us have a mean NET of 251st. The 2020 regular season and CAA Tournament-winning team had the other teams have a mean NET of 206th. Charleston is 59th, and in 2020 the best NET other than us was Northeastern in 128th.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

His midrange game has really taken off since the start of league play. He'll get excited and start shooting from deep off curls like he's Reggie Miller and miss most of those, and sometimes will settle for nba depth 3's, but squared up to the basket his shot has been money. can create his own shot too.

He is a bit one dimensional to be the 2nd best player in the league, he only averages one assist a game. I think he'll be on the second team all-CAA though.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:His midrange game has really taken off since the start of league play. He'll get excited and start shooting from deep off curls like he's Reggie Miller and miss most of those, and sometimes will settle for nba depth 3's, but squared up to the basket his shot has been money. can create his own shot too.

He is a bit one dimensional to be the 2nd best player in the league, he only averages one assist a game. I think he'll be on the second team all-CAA though.
Maybe overstating his total assessment on my part but even if he's second team that would be a nice honor for him. TY for your input.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Tyler is the perfect complement to Aaron Estrada. He is Robin to his Batman and Sundance kid to Butch Cassidy. They are able to spread the floor making it easier for the teammates to get good looks as a basket.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Tyler is the perfect complement to Aaron Estrada. He is Robin to his Batman and Sundance kid to Butch Cassidy. They are able to spread the floor making it easier for the teammates to get good looks as a basket.
Absolutely well put Stu. Also with the attention having to be paid to both of them it opens up Carlos' game and he can shoot sometimes wide open shots. He's now shooting O/31% from three.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Only a sophomore, and he will only get better