Men's Lacrosse 2023

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: Men's Lacrosse 2023

Post by Polito »

Not apples to apples though. Long Island lacrosse is a hot bed and powerhouse region of talent. Softball is good, but not a true traditional hot bed of top talent in the country.

If HU wants to return to any level of respect it needs to pull local talent. End of story. HU isn't going to beat out a Duke or Cuse or Maryland or UVA or any program with legit national championship ability - but that's not necessary - they absolutely DO need to beat the Denvers, Marquettes, Patriot Leagues, startup programs with zero history, other locals, etc for the next level of talent. We can't keep blaming the boogey man for why this program reeks (I know you know that, just stating).

The other reality is a big reason why kids don't want to go to HU anymore is because the program blows. They have next to no shot at making an NCAAT. They can't even make their own conf tournament. Not a lot of talented kids are going to be down for that, and nothing about ST is sellable at this point. PT isn't enough to overcome a decade of garbage under his leadership. They can get PT elsewhere and have a shot at actually winning something.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Congratulations to G Mac Gates on being named CAA Player of the Week:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2023/4/3/men ... honor.aspx
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Congrats to Gates, well deserved!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So looking at the standings we can get in the CAA tournament with wins over Hampton
Towson and SBU
Those are all winnable games
Not to taje anything away from this team but the CAA is now watered down with UMass and Villanova leaving and adding SBU and Hampton
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Well at least today's loss to a 2 - 7 Towson team wasn't by one goal. I'll skip the presser. When will this end?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We have to win our final three games just to make the CAA tournament
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Stu. What? Please you're killing me.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Just showing its nearly impossible
I see only one win left in the schedule
That would be Hampton
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Getting back to the topic I see us finishing four wins and 10 losses as bad as this wreck it is, it’s still not as bad as Hampton in the off-season the CAA has got to address some of the teams that Hampton is putting on the field
Monmouth who we beat 12 to 6 Beat Hampton yesterday, 14 to 6 after 3 quarters Monmouth was leading 11 to 1 they proceeded to empty the bench.
Sorry, but I saw part of the game and I have seen good high school teams played better than what Hampton is putting out on the field
I remember temple was thrown out of the big east in football, because the team was not competitive
Sorry, but I think the same should be said about Hampton the men’s lacrosse women’s soccer and volleyball team should not be competing in the CAA
Add in the fact that you cannot get any life stats because they don’t have the facilities for on the campus and they were athletic website is an absolute joke they put up one story a month
Show me this is all on the CAA commissioner and his staff for not vetting properly
If I am the CAA commissioner, I would give Hampton till next season to get their sports information and live stats up and working or they are out of the CAA
If the men’s lacrosse women’s volleyball, and women’s soccer teams are not competitive within two years then they should not be allowed to compete in conference. Let them keep the teams, but make up their own schedule as an independent.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Stu - The topic is the tragedy of what's been done to the once proud and storied Hofstra lacrosse program. The fact that you are even talking about Hofstra and Hampton lacrosse in the same paragraph angers me beyond words.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

A new coaching staff will get us back to where we once were
Mikey Im with you on the fall of this one’s great program
I’m just hoping we don’t fall to where Hampton is now that is the comparison I am making
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Nothing personal Stu. The program seems like its hurtling to rock bottom. Maybe a 4 - 10 year it seems. Worst since maybe the Harry Royle days not sure.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The other thing is, I don’t want to hear excuses like we had injuries that’s part of the game and this is D1 athletics Every team goes through injuries that’s why you recruit so that you don’t have that big of a fall off in talent.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

The other excuse is that the lacrosse world has changed. That's true - we now stink and everybody else does not.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

mikey75 wrote:The other excuse is that the lacrosse world has changed. That's true - we now stink and everybody else does not.
I wouldn’t go that far as plenty of other programs who once thrived are facing same struggles, but while there is much more competition now from other schools investing more in sport, the competition in CAA is well within Hofstra’s league and we should be competing for conference titles more regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The league is also weaker with Monmouth and Hampton, replacing UMass and Villanova while SBU has not been traditionally strong they are a decent team this year, in order to make the CAA playoffs 4-3 record is required so you don’t have to be great in the league. Just have to be a little bit better than average.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

I'm not sure what is making me more angry the obvious decline in the program or the mounting pile of excuses it has generated. Hofstra has a lot to offer and can compete at the national level as it has in the distant and recent past. Quinnipiac just took the NCAA title in hockey for God's sake. You're telling me that Hofstra's athletic programs can't compete with schools like Quinnipiac? The thing is Hofstra is totally okay with mediocrity. Sorry to say but its obvious to me.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Preaching to the Polito choir. Been saying all that for at least 5 years. Probably more, can't recall. But I'm sure someone can audit me.

Would've canned his rear a LONG time ago. But then again, I actually care about HU athletics and have real standards of success.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Congrats to men's lax on a much needed and deserved win against Drexel.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

It will come down to the final game against Stony Brook
Next week against Hampton, we can play the starters for 1/2 then Seth can empty the bench and let everyone else get into the game

Hampton today lost to Towson 20-1