MBB Game 25 - Stony Brook, 2/4/23 (Sat), 4 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
LIDutch77

Re: MBB Game 25 - Stony Brook, 2/4/23 (Sat), 4 PM

Post by LIDutch77 »

cactus wrote:
LIDutch77 wrote:Any advice for getting tickets for the game? Is there a secondary market that tickets get posted on?
I don't think they get posted anywhere.
What was the rule before all these stubhub type sites? Stand outside wtihin 1000 feet?
Guess you could quietly say "selling?" as people walk by? I usually have extra (not today). Prob don't want to do that in this weather though.
Shoot. Am buying two tickets in case anyone has extra/doesnt want to go in the cold!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://stonybrookathletics.com/sports/ ... ath=mbball has Stony Brook's statistics. Their leading scorer is Tyler Stephenson-Moore, who missed their last two games, which were losses to Hampton and Elon. If he does not play, Keenan Fitzmorris will be their second leading scorer with 8.7 points. Eight players have played in most of their games, which is seven if you take Stephenson-Moore out. By the time we start or a few minutes later, the other CAA games will be over.

The Sagarin gives us an 89 percent chance of winning, which is tied for the third highest of 150 games today.

The last three game topics had more posts than usual.
LIDutch77

Post by LIDutch77 »

Ended up getting tix on hofstras website. They posted more tix in the 200s section. In terms of Stony Brook, Stephenson-Moore has been there best player but will be out a few more weeks with the hip injury. They’re hoping to have him back in time for hofstra@sbu. In his absense Policelli is the leader on both sides the ball. Hes averaging 14 and 9 and leads the CAA in rebounding. Theyve got good contributions from Fitzmorris the 7 footer from Stanford. He’s more of an offensive threat than defensive. The two x-factors for stony brook are Toby Onyekonwu and Leon Nahar who are both freshman but are getting more minutes in light of all the injuries. Stony Brook shoots a ton of 3’s if they make them theyre good if they dont theyre bad. Probably Hofstra -14.5 is the play.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Estrada is OUT today with an illness. This game just got a lot more interesting
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Ugh
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Estrada out is less than ideal. Shit.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Still, we are up 41 to 29 at halftime
Plotnikov and Williams picking things up
Of course, Thomas is the big gun for us today
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We are looking pretty good esp in the latter part of the half...need to keep pushing the temp and take good smart shots...Williams is eating their big alive but he's pretty good on the offensive side.

Will DUBAR PLEASE SHOW UP!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Is anyone having trouble with the Flo feed? It keeps pausing, very annoying!!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The CAA is actually in talks with flow sports to re-up for next year went on the Stony Brook board and they are absolutely furious with flow sports
What the hell is going on with the CAA office
We can’t even get a decent local sports affiliate to pick up our games
Wags

Post by Wags »

The offense really didn't miss a beat without Estrada, but they missed Estrada's D (something he is underrated with because most focus - rightly - on his offense). The team D was lacking for most of the half, but was much better during the 11-2 run to close the half, to give them some good breathing room at 41-29. Have to put this away early now and not let Stony Brook back in it during the second half.

As usual, Thomas on fire early (made his first six shots and scored12 of HU's first 14 points) and as noted above, Plotnikov a key spark off the bench. Missed badly after good cut and taking a nice feed, but came right back with three very nice buckets... a strong take in transition to finish through traffic, knocking down a contested left corner 3, and then backup up to take a stepback 3 on the left wing, saw it wasn't there, and instead drove strongly for a good layup.

Big key in that first half: HU 8/9 at the line, SBU no FTs (HU only committed 3 fouls in the half).
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote: Have to put this away early now and not let Stony Brook back in it during the second half.
And yet, 8-0, Stony Brook to start the second half. Seawolves right back in the game as Speedy calls timeout.

Hofstra has missed five straight shots for the second time today (15/20 otherwise), including the first four to start the second half.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Plotnikov scores HU's first second-half points out of the timeout and at the other end, battles hard for tie-up (possession arrow to Hofstra). The Pride would be in a far worse off spot right now without what Plotnikov has given them today (11 pts on 4/5 fg) and a bunch of energy off the bench.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We end up with a strong team effort without Estrada. Thomas huge, Washington, Plotnikov and Warren Williams all proved too much for our defeated rivals out East...Five in a row! Keep 'em coming!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Eight of HU's 10 CAA wins by 13-24 pts. Half of the eight by 20+ pts.

Speedy with the two best lines of the day:

On bringing fans back to The Mack like they showed up today... "Keep giving away free T-shirts!!" ... If you weren't there and didn't see the shirts, they said: 516 > 631 (I like it!).

Even better, on the rivalry with Stony Brook...
"The Island is blue and it will remain blue, that's all I'm saying."
(I vote for this one to be added as new subtext under the Pride Of Long Island that is already listed in the arena).
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:The CAA is actually in talks with flow sports to re-up for next year went on the Stony Brook board and they are absolutely furious with flow sports
What the hell is going on with the CAA office
We can’t even get a decent local sports affiliate to pick up our games
Was watching the women's game last night and I couldn't tell u how many times they went to commercial while the game was live!! Bush!
Wags

Post by Wags »

https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... pghqg&s=19

Estrada would've played today but wasn't able to get an IV. He looked good after the game though and should be ready for Wednesday at Northeastern.
Last edited by Wags on Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I was just going to quickly mention since someone brought up Dubar and after his 18 points against COC he has been in a funk. He wasn't hitting many shots beyond the ARC in practice. Thank God for Plotnikov. Also was going to mention the inability of Carlos to hit a shot today 4 points all from the FT line but nevertheless a solid game for him with 10 rebounds 10 assists and 4 steals. I'll take those stats any day of the week along with his 4 points.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:I was just going to quickly mention since someone brought up Dubar and after his 18 points against COC he has been in a funk. He wasn't hitting many shots beyond the ARC in practice. Thank God for Plotnikov. Also was going to mention the inability of Carlos to hit a shot today 4 points all from the FT line but nevertheless a solid game for him with 10 rebounds 10 assists and 4 steals. I'll take those stats any day of the week along with his 4 points.
I was at the game so I just now scanned through the box score. As you noted Triplec, 10 boards and 10 assist for JQ!!! WOW, it ooked like he played a solid game, but I never would have guessed he put up those kinds of numbers - sneaky good numbers. Another surprise was TT - not that he scored a bunch, but that he had 11 rebounds, WOW.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:I was just going to quickly mention since someone brought up Dubar and after his 18 points against COC he has been in a funk.
That funk actually started over the five games (23 total pts over those) before the Charleston game. That's why the Charleston game was such a pleasant surprise from him and they wouldn't have won without it. That game was so important though, if that's the only one he helps them win down the stretch, and they can get by without him doing much (like they have been over the past eight games, except for the loss at Towson), it's not so bad. Although it would certainly make things easier to have him chipping in or even being a significant factor like he was at Charleston - especially in the CAA tournament.
Last edited by Wags on Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.