MBB Game 25 - Stony Brook, 2/4/23 (Sat), 4 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

MBB Game 25 - Stony Brook, 2/4/23 (Sat), 4 PM

Post by Jojogunne »

Starting this thread early. Looks like the Stony Brook game will be a sellout. No walk-up tickets will be sold on Saturday.

The Seahawks are 8-14 overall and 4-5 in the CAA before tonight's game vs. Elon, which is on SNY.

It seems strange to be playing Stony Brook in February rather than November or December, but welcome to the new CAA. We also face our closest rival again in two weeks.

The Seawolves can be dangerous when they fire on all cylinders. Tyler Stephenson-Moore and Frankie Policelli lead the team in scoring with about 14 ppg. Policelli, the former LuHi star, helped the SBU break a four-game losing streak at Hampton last weekend with a career-high 34 points. He will be the player to stop on Saturday.

The game is on FloHoops.
triplec2195

Re: MBB Game 25 - Stony Brook, 2/4/23 (Sat), 4 PM

Post by triplec2195 »

Lets focus in on the most important game of the year TO DATE AND THAT'S TOWSON TONITE. This game becomes very important after that if for no other reason other then bragging rights to the island. I always love beating S.B.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Stony Brook and Monmouth have some home games on SNY, but we don't, so this is the only one of six CAA games not on TV. At 2:00 P.M., the CAA will have four locally televised games. At 5:00 P.M., Hampton plays Norfolk State in an HBCU game in New Jersey on TNT, which is the CAA's last nonconference game before the postseason.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=425822 will have statistics.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

EvanJ wrote:Stony Brook and Monmouth have some home games on SNY, but we don't, so this is the only one of six CAA games not on TV. At 2:00 P.M., the CAA will have four locally televised games. At 5:00 P.M., Hampton plays Norfolk State in an HBCU game in New Jersey on TNT, which is the CAA's last nonconference game before the postseason.

Evan, I believe in the NY metro area, Hofstra Stony Brook is on MSG+.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ESPN is giving us a 96% chance to win this game. I wonder if the spread will be more then 10 points.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

CTDutch wrote:
EvanJ wrote:Stony Brook and Monmouth have some home games on SNY, but we don't, so this is the only one of six CAA games not on TV. At 2:00 P.M., the CAA will have four locally televised games. At 5:00 P.M., Hampton plays Norfolk State in an HBCU game in New Jersey on TNT, which is the CAA's last nonconference game before the postseason.

Evan, I believe in the NY metro area, Hofstra Stony Brook is on MSG+.
Edit - the game is no longer showing on my cable guide as being on TV
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

This isn't necessarily on topic for this game but more for the overall season and didn't want to start a whole new thread. Does anyone know the tiebreaker rules for the CAA standings? I know it used to be head to head and then record verse the top team in the conference, then second place team and so on. But not sure if this changed with now having the uneven schedules. Really this only has to do with Towson; just curious if we would have the tiebreaker verse them or not.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Not to skirt this question since I don't know the answer but when looking at the major contenders in this conference we have by far the easiest remaining schedule. Towson still has to play Drexel, Delaware , UNCW AND COC. Now I know on any given day we can lose but Drexel will be the toughest team we have to play in the remainder of our games. I would be surprised at least a little if we didn't win this conference based on the remainder of the schedule being in our favor. Obviously a lot of things can happen.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraMathew wrote:This isn't necessarily on topic for this game but more for the overall season and didn't want to start a whole new thread. Does anyone know the tiebreaker rules for the CAA standings? I know it used to be head to head and then record verse the top team in the conference, then second place team and so on. But not sure if this changed with now having the uneven schedules. Really this only has to do with Towson; just curious if we would have the tiebreaker verse them or not.
I believe it's still the same tiebreaker procedures, in the same order, as you stated above.

But of course your post was yesterday morning, when we didn't know yet that Charleston would lose at Drexel and that Hofstra would pay Towson back!

So for HU, it's easy to figure out now! Forget Towson. Don't slip up and HU gets the H2H tiebreaker over Charleston for first place. Good position for HU to be in with the sights set on DC, to know they've beaten the other three primary contenders, are 3-1 against those teams, and that they'll clinch the top seed if they take care of business as the heavy favorite in each one of their final seven regular season games. *

* Hofstra's chance of winning their remaining regular season games, according to ESPN:

vs. Stony Brook - 96.8%
at Northeastern - 78.4%
at Monmouth - 94.9%
vs. Drexel - 82.7%
vs. Hampton - 97.3%
at Stony Brook - 86.9%
vs. Northeastern - 92.0%
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Here's Coach Speak," Respect the game, respect your opponent." All Coach Speedy has to do is reference the last 10 minutes of the NC A&T game. Learn from your mistakes. The most important game is the next game. The #1 seed has the most time between games at the CAA Tournament, 12:00 on Sunday, 6:00 on Monday, and 7:00 on Tuesday. This appears like the same time schedule as in 2020.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:Here's Coach Speak," Respect the game, respect your opponent." All Coach Speedy has to do is reference the last 10 minutes of the NC A&T game. Learn from your mistakes. The most important game is the next game. The #1 seed has the most time between games at the CAA Tournament, 12:00 on Sunday, 6:00 on Monday, and 7:00 on Tuesday. This appears like the same time schedule as in 2020.
Definitely. We heard JAM say that mantra over and over. Speedy repeats it now. Imagine if they had closed that NC A&T game out as they should have. They'd be looking at a chance to finish CAA play an unthinkable 17-1! But 16-2 would be great as well. Hopefully the last 10 minutes against NC A&T will ultimately prove be the best thing that happened to them during CAA play.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

In terms of tiebreakers, we will probably win any tiebreaker we are in. Even if we lose to Drexel, they would have to gain a game on us from the rest of the games, including at Delaware (Drexel won in overtime hosting Delaware) and hosting Towson and UNCW. On the final day, which is February 25, CBS Sports Network will choose a game to show based on the standings, and I would expect Towson at UNCW if they are okay with showing Towson twice in three days. We host Northeastern, and Charleston hosts Stony Brook. The other games are Monmouth at William & Mary, Hampton at North Carolina A&T, and Delaware at Elon. Even if those games are important for seeding, showing two below-average CAA teams won't get many viewers.

Joe Lunardi gives us a 13 seed and playing in Albany, which would be great for most fans, but I want to see us in Des Moines so I can go. Ranking the teams in his bracket by NET, we would be the bottom 14 seed. Ranking the teams in his bracket by RPI, we would be the bottom 12 seed.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: Joe Lunardi gives us a 13 seed and playing in Albany, which would be great for most fans, but I want to see us in Des Moines so I can go. Ranking the teams in his bracket by NET, we would be the bottom 14 seed. Ranking the teams in his bracket by RPI, we would be the bottom 12 seed.
Those who reach the Sweet 16 from Albany go to MSG in the East region this year. Hofstra, which doesn't have to leave Long Island after Feb. 11 until the CAA tourney, could then not leave New York state (after D.C.) until the Final Four (if only lol!) :D
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Starting this thread early. Looks like the Stony Brook game will be a sellout. No walk-up tickets will be sold on Saturday.
Yup, it's officially a sellout. It's also homecoming and a Winter White Out with the first 1,500 fans receiving a "Long Island Rivalry" t-shirt, so if you're going, you may want to arrive early.

Historic in the sense that after 30 all-time non-conference meetings (24-6, HU), it'll be the conference game for these two Long Island rivals. That's going to feel so strange this first time around to think of this as a conference game.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Our "sellout" is somewhat of a misnomer these days as the North end and some of the South end seats have been removed...sellout now probably means about 3,500 people.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HUSID80 wrote:Our "sellout" is somewhat of a misnomer these days as the North end and some of the South end seats have been removed...sellout now probably means about 3,500 people.
I think is 4,000. Will find out tomorrow when we see boxscore assuming it is a sellout.,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I saw the capacity listed as 3,700 or 3,800-something.

I will be traveling and watch the game when I get home. I probably won't be posting about it until after 7:30 P.M. ET.

Now I'm tracking nonconference opponents. Princeton is hoting Cornell in a battle for first. Princeton trailed by 10 at halftime and is now down 5. Quinnipiac leads by 3 hosting Fairfield. Iona was up 48-18 at halftime hosting Mount Saint Mary's, but the lead is down to 22.

Edit: Princeton came back from down 13 in the second half to win 89-82. Coach Mitch Henderson got his 200th win. Quinnipiac won 66-51. Iona won 81-51.
LIDutch77

Post by LIDutch77 »

Any advice for getting tickets for the game? Is there a secondary market that tickets get posted on?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Whatever the "SELLOUT" number is I guarantee u there will be empty seats. Why because there will just be people that don't show up also the weather will be a factor. Wait and see but still there will be a lot of fans in the stands and if we don't blow them out today it will be disappointing. We're a 14.5 point favorite.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

LIDutch77 wrote:Any advice for getting tickets for the game? Is there a secondary market that tickets get posted on?
I don't think they get posted anywhere.
What was the rule before all these stubhub type sites? Stand outside wtihin 1000 feet?
Guess you could quietly say "selling?" as people walk by? I usually have extra (not today). Prob don't want to do that in this weather though.