Is this Estrada’s last year of eligibility?

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Captain

Is this Estrada’s last year of eligibility?

Post by Captain »

Estrada did one year at St Peter’s one year at Oregon and now 2 years at Hofstra. Is another year possible?
If he does not have a clear shot at the NBA might he stay. If he has another year might he go Power Conference?
If this is indeed his last year here who is the next great guard for us?
We have been completely spoiled with one great guard after another. Do we have a player on the roster to be the next (Charles Jenkins, JWF, Desure Buie, Eli Pemberton, Juanma Green Loren Stokes Speedy Clayton ?)
See what I mean? We always have at least one go to player. I figure Speedy and the staff have had lots os conversations regarding what the future may hold.
Will we be a points by committee? Who takes charge?
Meanwhile let’s nail it down this season!
dutchalum01

Re: Is this Estrada’s last year of eligibility?

Post by dutchalum01 »

Excited to see what Amare can do when inserted full time into the lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This is a question that a lot of us are pondering and don't forget about a kid named Tyler Thomas who's an integral part of this team. He's averaging 18 points a game in the conference and he's not just a catch and shoot guard. He has a mid range game that's very efficient and plays D. We would like to have both of them back then only a few pieces of the puzzle would need to be filled. I see Aaron moving on but Tyler don't know.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

He has another year of edibility remaining. That is a definite fact. The 2020-21 season did not count as a year for anyone. The bigger question is will he return to Hofstra next year. While anything is possible I don't necessarily see him transferring to a bigger school after he already tried Oregon. But could he decide to just go pro even if it isn't the NBA after this year?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yes, one year left. We are scrambling to raise enough NIL money to keep him...huge issue for mid majors...keeping our good players in the face of big dollars offered by Power Five schools.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I would like to see the NCAA prohibiting players from playing for more than three schools unless they have a reason unrelated to athletics and making money.

In 2005-2006 when we had our best regular season, ten players had significant minutes, and eight of them played for us for four seasons. That is now much less frequent. In the last three seasons including this one, the only players who did or could play for us for four seasons are Jalen Ray, Jaquan Carlos, Darlinstone Dubar (if he spends five seasons in school), and current freshmen none of whom play a lot. Guys transfer often enough that in addition to the 1,000 point club, maybe we should list the top tens for players who played for us in one, two, and three seasons.

I wonder how many players have ever won conference player of the year in any conference twice and then transferred. If Estrada does play for another school next season, he will have way more games, points, and other statistics for us than for any other school, but some other school that did not have to scout him in high school gets credit for the school he came from on any pro league's page for him (and if he is taken in the NBA Draft we will not be orally credited).
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

EvanJ wrote:I would like to see the NCAA prohibiting players from playing for more than three schools unless they have a reason unrelated to athletics and making money.

In 2005-2006 when we had our best regular season, ten players had significant minutes, and eight of them played for us for four seasons. That is now much less frequent. In the last three seasons including this one, the only players who did or could play for us for four seasons are Jalen Ray, Jaquan Carlos, Darlinstone Dubar (if he spends five seasons in school), and current freshmen none of whom play a lot. Guys transfer often enough that in addition to the 1,000 point club, maybe we should list the top tens for players who played for us in one, two, and three seasons.

I wonder how many players have ever won conference player of the year in any conference twice and then transferred. If Estrada does play for another school next season, he will have way more games, points, and other statistics for us than for any other school, but some other school that did not have to scout him in high school gets credit for the school he came from on any pro league's page for him (and if he is taken in the NBA Draft we will not be orally credited).
This is all good info and commentary. The one thing I will say is we have generally benefited more from transfers in than what we have been hurt by transfers out. We did get Estrada as a transfer. With this new NIL landscape maybe this will change but hopefully not.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Read an article the other day regarding NIL and Nick Saban at Alabama. He said he recently received some requests from top level recruits and current players on his roster. Two of the more interesting ones included a HS senior (major P5 recruit) who was asking for $500,000 in NIL money to sign at Alabama. One current starter on the roster wanted $800,000, a guaranteed acceptance into Alabama's law school for his girlfriend, and her tuition to be covered. Saban said he told them that he is no longer interested in having any of them on his team, and to go pound sand!

Maybe these are extreme cases, or maybe not at the big-time P5 schools. Regardless, this is where we are at (extremely sad IMO). I also believe that this is one of the reasons Jay Wright exited Nova when he did (meaning he didn't want to deal with it).
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Brey leaving ND also
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

HUSID80 wrote:Yes, one year left. We are scrambling to raise enough NIL money to keep him...huge issue for mid majors...keeping our good players in the face of big dollars offered by Power Five schools.
Is there any transparency on how much our players receive?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I have heard some things but I don't think there anything specific that is public.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
HUSID80 wrote: Yes, one year left. We are scrambling to raise enough NIL money to keep him...huge issue for mid majors...keeping our good players in the face of big dollars offered by Power Five schools.
Is there any transparency on how much our players receive?
How do our players make money? They are not going to be in video games or anything that only has players from top conferences. What percent of people in Nassau County know who Aaron Estrada is if he were to make a commercial and introduce himself? No matter how good his statistics are, how many fans of top conference teams would be impressed by getting a transfer from a team that has never been ranked, not made the NCAA Tournament while they had him (if we don't make the NCAA Tournament), and been on national TV before the CAA Tournament only three times, with those games on CBS Sports Network?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

They are being paid without any of that...look at Bebe from last year. Kansas State gave him $150k just to go there.
We can't compete with that.
The Power 5 are packing all the top mid-major players.