MBB Game 24 - Towson, 2/2/23 (Thurs), 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: MBB Game 24 - Towson, 2/2/23 (Thurs), 7 PM

Post by HUSID80 »

Joe M felt the yellows were bad luck after a couple of tough losses in them...that's why we haven't seen them in awhile.

As for uniforms what was up with Towson's light blue unis...horrible! They looked like LIU's.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:Joe M felt the yellows were bad luck after a couple of tough losses in them...that's why we haven't seen them in awhile.

As for uniforms what was up with Towson's light blue unis...horrible! They looked like LIU's.
They're for autism awareness. Pat Skerry's son was diagnosed with autism at 18 months old. They wore those uniforms in last year's CAA tourney.

I actually think they look nice and I even thought the yellows vs. the light blues was an aesthetically pleasing uniform matchup, although I don't like when teams wear colors that are not their team colors - in cases like these though, for good causes, just like the pink uniforms or sneakers we've seen with men's and women's teams for breast cancer awareness, I never mind it.

I really hope Hofstra never has black or gray uniforms or anything like that, like a lot of other teams who don't have those colors as their team colors and wear those anyway. As for the yellows, all it takes is a few good wins in them and they're no longer "bad luck." ;)
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Nicolas Timberlake's 12 field goals made are in a nine-way tie for the second most by a CAA player. Estrada made 16 when he scored 40 at Elon. I wonder if any other players have made at least 4 more field goals in a game than the next highest in their conference.

We are 41st in field goal percentage differential. UNCW is next best in the CAA in 131st. Charleston is 259th with a slightly worse differential than North Carolina A&T.

Estrada is eighth in Division I in scoring. He and Thomas passed Delaware's Jameer Nelson Jr. and Jyare Davis for highest combined points per game by CAA teammates.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: We are 41st in field goal percentage differential. UNCW is next best in the CAA in 131st. Charleston is 259th with a slightly worse differential than North Carolina A&T.
Good stats, Evan. Interesting to see how much higher HU ranks than CofC after the Cougars' long winning streak.

A very good indication that they're getting it done at both ends of the floor. Could even be the most important stat - not going to lose many games when you maintain one of the better FG% differentials.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:Joe M felt the yellows were bad luck after a couple of tough losses in them...that's why we haven't seen them in awhile.

They're for autism awareness. Pat Skerry's son was diagnosed with autism at 18 months old. They wore those uniforms in last year's CAA tourney.

I actually think they look nice and I even thought the yellows vs. the light blues was an aesthetically pleasing uniform matchup, although I don't like when teams wear colors that are not their team colors - in cases like these though, for good causes, just like the pink uniforms or sneakers we've seen with men's and women's teams for breast cancer awareness, I never mind it.

I really hope Hofstra never has black or gray uniforms or anything like that, like a lot of other teams who don't have those colors as their team colors and wear those anyway. As for the yellows, all it takes is a few good wins in them and they're no longer "bad luck." ;)
They shouldn't need another alternate because they have 3 colors already but I think grey would look good

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

According to this, we will never have black or gray uniforms, unless the guidelines change.

https://www.hofstra.edu/pdf/home/news/u ... -guide.pdf
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:According to this, we will never have black or gray uniforms, unless the guidelines change.

I'm not sure if this is never. This looks like the guidelines for now, but couldn't those guidelines change in future years? They already have gray gear (like what Speedy and his staff sometimes wear) so hoping they don't eventually go a similar route with the uniforms one day.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:
Wags wrote:

They shouldn't need another alternate because they have 3 colors already but I think grey would look good
They shouldn't need it because it's not one of their colors. Hard pass.

Speaking of yellow, this is the first time we've seen it in any capacity the whole season. Disappointed the regular home & road uniforms have become all white & blue (with no yellow at all anymore).

p.s. I am hoping we have more conversations like this until D.C. because if we're talking about things like uniforms, it means they're taking care of business easily over the final seven regular season games. Although I've made my uniform preferences clear, even polka dots or plaid would look great as long as they're wearing those to cut nets! :)
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

ProudofPride wrote:According to this, we will never have black or gray uniforms, unless the guidelines change.

Wish I knew about this way back when. Would have made that F in the site banner a lot easier to make :)
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:

Wish I knew about this way back when. Would have made that F in the site banner a lot easier to make :)
But we thank you for all of your efforts with that and with the site in general! We obviously wouldn't be here without you!
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

What's the deal with A Marshall? He has been on the bench, but is seeing no time. Recall he was the big surprise early in the season, but now nothing. What happened?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wags wrote:

I'm not sure if this is never. This looks like the guidelines for now, but couldn't those guidelines change in future years? They already have gray gear (like what Speedy and his staff sometimes wear) so hoping they don't eventually go a similar route with the uniforms one day.
How bout we put the players names on the back of the uniforms???? We look like a Mickey Mouse outfit...Just about every school has them.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

mikey75 wrote:What's the deal with A Marshall? He has been on the bench, but is seeing no time. Recall he was the big surprise early in the season, but now nothing. What happened?
He's hurt...didn't see last night whether he was still in a boot.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

What a great game. Bryce played awesome. Loved seeing him in the lineup getting some minutes. Obviously Estrada was in his bag
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

HUSID80 - He was in layup drills last night.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

mikey75 wrote:HUSID80 - He was in layup drills last night.
He in fact was practicing but clearly would have played if he was ready to go especially with the game that Carlos was having.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

okay, thanks.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Great, exciting game, I think that one tops the Iona game this year.

Big bounce back from Williams and Boachie-Yiadom. They fought harder for positioning on the boards and played very strong defense. It's a luxury to have capable players come off the bench and contribute, Washington was a huge plus, every shot he hit was a huge shot, we needed his size defensively as well. It's crazy we got 33 points from Dubar and Carlos against Charleston, and just 4 against Towson and still win. Dubar played well defensively though, Carlos just got in foul trouble and never really got going, but Washington picked him up.

Very impressed with how hard the team worked on both sides of the ball. We got more aggressive late in the first half, and made good decisions on shot selection from that point forward. Towson got their looks offensively, but we made them work hard for everything. Props to Timberlake, that guy always kills us, career high last night, hell of an effort. Luckily for us he missed a wide open one in the last minute that would have put Towson ahead.

If you have a good team, this is the time of year when Seniors start stepping up. All of them carried us tonight, led by Thomas and Estrada as always. We scored on our last 8 possessions (minus the FT with 2 seconds left) to win the game. All points scored by seniors. This team now controls their own destiny. Win out we get an NIT bid no matter what. Lots of rivalry games down the stretch, so nothing will be given to us. We still have to find a way to limit the offensive boards, and get to the line more often if we're going to win the title, but last night was a win you can hang your hat on. Great effort to pull that one out, showed a lot about the character of this team.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:We still have to find a way to limit the offensive boards, and get to the line more often if we're going to win the title
Totally agree on this. Going to be tough to grind out 3 wins back to back where key stops are not stops because you keep giving up offensive boards.
Would like to see more Plotnikov because he's the only guy who can get to the line consistently. Feel like he is rushing up 3's right now though in his limited minutes.