MBB Game 23 - @ Charleston, 1/28/23 (Sat), 4 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Game 23 - @ Charleston, 1/28/23 (Sat), 4 PM

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:Gritty win, I was impressed by our resolve in the second half.

I thought we came out of the gate tight. Speedy took a smart TO at 6-0, that settled us down enough, but I didn't think we hit our groove until we got in foul trouble and had to go deep into the bench, which forced Estrada on the ball more often, where he is deadly. Charleston had us on the ropes a few times, but Estrada never let it get out of hand, truly a clutch performance in the first half.

We played much smarter, more confidently in the second half. We did a very nice job staying patient with the ball, we kept finding good looks, Dubar, Thomas, then Carlos all had big moments. It seemed like Charleston started pressing once we went up by two possessions, and despite us having no frontcourt presence, they kept chucking threes. I thought our defense was strong overall though, not many easy looks for Charleston in the second half.

Despite this obviously being a huge win for us, and catapulting us back into the regular season title picture, I don't think we brought our "A" game tonight. Boachie-Yiadom and Williams were brutal. Only one defensive rebound (2 overall) in 40 minutes, really pathetic. I get they're both a little undersized, but their positioning was so poor all night, maybe the pace of the game hurt our bigs. Williams play has fallen off the past few games, we need him to get it back together, tonight he was a non-factor and really forced NBY into too many minutes. Luckily our guards saved our bacon on the boards, Dubar was strong, and Carlos in particular came down with a huge one late in the paint.

Huge win, we have one last big test on Thursday. This six game stretch, from Delaware to Towson, was going to define our season. 3-3 would have probably kept us in the top 4, but 5-1 can make us title contenders.

Yea agree in whole with this. It's a great win but I can't get overly excited about it. Did not think they had much of a chance at all to win at half despite only being down 2, they couldn't get a defensive rebound unless it fell in their laps, Charleston just got second chance after second chance until they came away with points seemingly every possession. They needed Charleston to go ice cold from 3 to slow down their scoring in the second half. Usually on those long rebounds from deep misses you give up more offensive boards because the caroms are bigger and more random, but that randomness ended up being the only way they could get any rebounds at all.
After watching the replay of this game where I had time to be a little more observant(didn't see it live) I thought a lot of those second chance shots were just the nature of the beast. They got good caroms and sometimes you happen to be in the right place at the right time. IDK if anybody sees it differently meaning they just were out hustling us. I thought we got some bad breaks with the way the ball was bouncing not to be using cliches.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

College of Charleston dropped from the top 20. We must be considered chopped liver.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

No one is surprised that they fell out of the top 25 right? The loss to Hofstra is a bad loss for them. Hofstra doesn’t have any signature wins other than this one and has two bad conference losses.

I wish that wasn’t the case but it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Knew they would drop - but from 18 to off the charts was little steep in my view.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Although we went from 51 to now #19 in the latest mid major poll.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Nice to get some recognition in that Poll. Means nothing if we don't beat Towson.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes we should be real hungry for a win in this game and I'll be very disappointed if we don't win this one coming off a statement win over Charleston. Estrada after scoring just 10 points in the last game and going 0/10 from three will be very motivated as will Tyler.