MBB Game 23 - @ Charleston, 1/28/23 (Sat), 4 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

MBB Game 23 - @ Charleston, 1/28/23 (Sat), 4 PM

Post by Jojogunne »

Next is the CAA match-up of the week. No. 18 Charleston has only one loss -- to then No. 1 UNC way back in November -- and has steamrolled through the CAA, 9-0.

Because the CAA has an odd number of schools, one team is always idle on game day during conference play. Tonight was the Cougars' chance to rest up while we struggled against Elon.

Here's hoping we bring our "A" game to South Carolina on Saturday.

The 4 pm contest is on FloHoops.
triplec2195

Re: MBB Game 23 - @ Charleston, 1/28/23 (Sat), 4 PM

Post by triplec2195 »

I definitely want to see us battle in this one playing a very close game either way hopefully getting the upset.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Good time for this game. Wish it was at home though. We'll certainly be underdogs but I think we have the firepower to play with them.
Like our upset chances in this one...get some national recognition. Too bad its on Flo but frankly Flo has been much better this year.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Yeah, but who watches Flo besides us? :shock:
Wags

Post by Wags »

Is this a big game for Hofstra? Anyone know how has Charleston been this year? :D

Okay, seriously... given where the Cougars are right now, this would be some nice payback for what they did as a 6 seed to 3rd-seeded HU in DC last March. If there were ever a regular season game to come out of the gate strong, playing with a big-time sense of purpose, and to stay that way for 40 minutes (although every game should be that way) this is the one. If they lose because Charleston might be better tomorrow, so be it. But between that quarterfinal loss last year and Charleston's streak & AP ranking now, there can be absolutely no excuse for anything other than 40 minutes of HU giving 100% effort at both ends of the floor. After last March, they should be angry when they play this game tomorrow, seeking to take something special away from Charleston on the Cougars' home floor now.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Right now ESPN shows us with only a 23.1% chance of winning....
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Wags wrote:After last March, they should be angry when they play this game tomorrow, seeking to take something special away from Charleston on the Cougars' home floor now.
Was happy to hear Estrada bring this up in yesterday's post game. He wants revenge on top of beating a ranked team.

Charleston is going big on this one. Already a sell out and free shirts on the chairs - they are doing a stripe out - red and white in alternating sections. Its going to be a crazy atmosphere.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote:
Wags wrote:After last March, they should be angry when they play this game tomorrow, seeking to take something special away from Charleston on the Cougars' home floor now.
Was happy to hear Estrada bring this up in yesterday's post game. He wants revenge on top of beating a ranked team.
Hopefully that mindset has permeated throughout the whole team. This isn't just any team coming in, trying to end another team's winning streak and trying to knock that team down in the AP poll, maybe out of the poll. After last March, this is personal. Hofstra should be approaching it as such. That should (we'll see) give HU a very unique reason to play extremely hard, more so than any other team in the nation having this opportunity as the road team in Charleston tomorrow.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:Right now ESPN shows us with only a 23.1% chance of winning....
That's expected, but NC A&T probably had less than that coming to Hempstead. So throw that percentage out, play hard, focused, good team basketball, leave nothing on the floor, and let the chips fall where they may.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I'm not checking every conference, but I'm guessing Charleston is the only team to lead their conference in rebounds per game without having any of the top fifteen players.

If at-large teams were chosen by the NET, Charleston needed an at-large bid, and all conferences with at least one team above Charleston had a team above Charleston win their tournament, Charleston would be the last team in. In reality, they would be better. They are 48th, and the mid-majors in 46th (Liberty) and 47th (Oral Roberts) probably have no chance at an at-large bid.

Here are the KenPom expectations and statistics links:

Northeastern at Delaware at 12:00 P.M. on CBS Sports Network: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=425088
KenPom expects Delaware to win 72-65 with a 73 percent chance of winning.

Monmouth at North Carolina A&T at 2:00 P.M.: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=436473
KenPom expects North Carolina A&T to win 77-63 with a 90 percent chance of winning.

William & Mary at Towson at 4:00 P.M. on NBC Sports Washington: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=428615
KenPom expects Towson to win 72-60 with an 86 percent chance of winning.

Stony Brook at Hampton at 4:00 P.M.: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=425746 (Hampton's statistics did not work yesterday)
Ken Pom expects Hampton to win 70-68 with a 55 percent chance of winning.

Drexel at Elon at 4:00 P.M.: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=425240
KenPom expects Drexel to win 69-62 with a 73 percent chance of winning.

Us at Charleston at 4:00 P.M.: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=424660
KenPom expects Charleston to win 77-71 with a 72 percent chance of winning
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

What's the word on Amare Marshall? Is he hurt or something else?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

mikey75 wrote:What's the word on Amare Marshall? Is he hurt or something else?
I had asked this in the Elon thread??
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

I know, but have not seen any response other than he was not the guy on crutches. Seems odd that he didn't play in the Elon game.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

mikey75 wrote:I know, but have not seen any response other than he was not the guy on crutches. Seems odd that he didn't play in the Elon game.
If you look down near the end of Hofstra's bench during the game last night there is definitely a player with a walking boot on their right leg...hard to say for sure but looked like Marshall to me. Obviously knowing the school we'll never find out what the injury is, how/when whoever it is got hurt, and how long he's out, but that's my best guess as to why we saw Washington and not Marshall last night.

Depth is going to be a key factor tomorrow (esp if no Marshall). Charleston runs 9-10 deep and all their bench guys are good enough to start on most teams in the CAA. Rebounding of course will also be huge, Charleston is by far the best rebounding team in the conference... if Hofstra can't keep them off the offensive boards won't matter how many Estrada scores.

I think one of the biggest reasons for Charleston's success this season has been intangibles - that coach has them playing at an impossibly consistent super high level of intensity and energy, and they also have one of best home court advantages in the league. But for many of the reasons you guys have all said I'm not worried about Hofstra not bringing it tomorrow. Should be a fun one!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Charleston dropped to an 11 seed in Joe Lunardi's bracket.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2023/1/27/me ... fstra.aspx is titled "High Stakes In Low Country; Saturday Showdown Next For Hofstra." Charleston is Number 18 in both polls, and our first win over a ranked team was another mid-major AP Poll Number 18 in a 67-66 win over Southern Illinois in the Pittsburgh Classic on December 11, 1976. We are 9-8 against Charleston.

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/side ... game23.pdf is our Game Notes.

https://cofcsports.com/news/2023/1/27/m ... urday.aspx is titled "No. 18 Cougars Return Home to Face Hofstra on Saturday Presented by Chick-fil-A." They think we won the last head-to-head game because they missed the CAA Tournament.

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/side ... ofstra.pdf is Charleston's Game Notes.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I remember listening to the SIU game. We also beat Duquesne the night before. Quite a schedule that season. We also played LaSalle, a fellow member of the East Coast Conference, with a guy name Mihalich on the team:

https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-baske ... le/1976-77
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ESPN has us as 8.5 point underdogs in this game. That's a good size spread and they do have a raunchy crowd there. Does the layoff help or hurt Charleston??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Spread now 9 on ESPN. The guy in the walking boot was NOT Marshall...I think it's one of the walk-ons...he was in the boot at the last home game as well.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:Spread now 9 on ESPN. The guy in the walking boot was NOT Marshall...I think it's one of the walk-ons...he was in the boot at the last home game as well.
Hey HUSID I asked about this guy when I saw him practicing with us or just on the bench at the UMASS game. He wasn't injured back then if we're talking about the same kid. So I'll ask again who's this kid??
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Is it possibly one of the red shirts? maybe Farmer?

Both walkons played i the uncw game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk