Why Not Florida?????

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Why Not Florida?????

Post by HUSID80 »

With the CAA's recent expansion we now have 13 schools with another (Campbell) on the way.
Why not reach out to a Florida school for CAA expansion.
Our footprint is already from South Carolia to Boston so adding a Florida school would not be too much farther to travel and clearly most of the Florida schools are much closer to major airports than many of our current CAA members.
Surely we have many more alums and future students coming from Florida than many of the current CAA locations.
I took a look at all current Division One colleges in Florida for their potential to join the CAA...most are excluded because they play major college football but there are a few who might meet other criteria.
They include Florida Gulf Coast, Jacksonville, North Florida, Stetson and maybe Central Florida.
Thoughts????
Jojogunne

Re: Why Not Florida?????

Post by Jojogunne »

Good idea, but we really would need someone else to leave the CAA. Too many teams already.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I vote Hampton out
Still do you guys want the CAA footprint even bigger
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I thought the idea of 14 CAA members from Massachusetts to South Carolina was to split into 7 north and 7 south member divisions to limit travel and expenses. This proposed 15th Florida member would have to be balanced with a 16th northern member to make an even number of colleges which is preferable for scheduling. This also causes the money amounts for NCAA appearances to become divided as 1/16 for each member.. I realize this is not really a big monetary difference from the 1/14 that will occur next season. So, it will become which 2 colleges are to be added, not just one. My thought is that the current members may want to see how the increase to 14 members goes before adding more colleges. I also realize that things rapidly change in college conferences. Just think about Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC, and USC and UCLA to the Big 10. Very few college insiders saw those conference changes coming.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I liked 10 teams, and I certainly do not want more than 14. I also would like the CAA to follow its name and only allow teams from states that were colonies. I had the same complaint when a UNCW fan wanted Chattanooga to join. How many Florida teams would want to travel north to be in the CAA? HUSID80 named Atlantic Sun teams and Central Florida (UCF), who is joining the Big 12 this season. Sometimes the Atlantic Sun has been very bad, but now it is four spots above the CAA in the Conference NET. Until if and when the CAA improves, you cannot expect many schools to want to join. If you want the CAA to showcase itself in Florida in person, that can be done nonconference. How about something similar to the challenges that two conferences play against each other, except in this case the Florida teams would not be in the same conference?
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

EvanJ wrote:I liked 10 teams, and I certainly do not want more than 14. I also would like the CAA to follow its name and only allow teams from states that were colonies. I had the same complaint when a UNCW fan wanted Chattanooga to join. How many Florida teams would want to travel north to be in the CAA? HUSID80 named Atlantic Sun teams and Central Florida (UCF), who is joining the Big 12 this season. Sometimes the Atlantic Sun has been very bad, but now it is four spots above the CAA in the Conference NET. Until if and when the CAA improves, you cannot expect many schools to want to join. If you want the CAA to showcase itself in Florida in person, that can be done nonconference. How about something similar to the challenges that two conferences play against each other, except in this case the Florida teams would not be in the same conference?
The only one I could see of that group is Jacksonville because of how focused they are in lacrosse but in general I don’t see them stretching that far south. If they are going to go to 16 I see them adding another school in Carolinas like High Point and another in north like Albany, Fairfield or Quinnipiac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

The idea really isn't the travel...the miles may be longer but the travel is easier. For example, flights to Jacksonville take much less time than travel to other CAA rivals.
The real issue is student recruitment and alumni relations...Florida much more valuable than South Carolina for example.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Northeastern needs a travel partner the closest is Hofstra, which is still five hours away. It should be a New England school. My first choice would be Bryant followed by Fairfield Sacred Heart, then Quinnipiac.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID80 wrote: The real issue is student recruitment and alumni relations...Florida much more valuable than South Carolina for example.
That's true for us, but we don't control the CAA, and Charleston is giving the CAA attention now, along with the best attendance. I wonder if they will try to get in the Atlantic 10.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:Northeastern needs a travel partner the closest is Hofstra, which is still five hours away. It should be a New England school. My first choice would be Bryant followed by Fairfield Sacred Heart, then Quinnipiac.
Quinnipiac has the best facilities and best overall athletic program...I'm good with them and even Fairfield....we should never have added AT&T and Hampton IMO>
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HUSID80 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:Northeastern needs a travel partner the closest is Hofstra, which is still five hours away. It should be a New England school. My first choice would be Bryant followed by Fairfield Sacred Heart, then Quinnipiac.
Quinnipiac has the best facilities and best overall athletic program...I'm good with them and even Fairfield....we should never have added AT&T and Hampton IMO>
I agree on A&T and Hampton being bad adds although I get the rational behind Hampton since William & Mary needed a travel partner and they have a decent hoops tradition. Their other programs, especially women’s soccer, are atrocious though and it was actually painful to watch when we beat them 8-0 last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk