Media Thread

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: Media Thread

Post by Jojogunne »

Just putting this link in the media thread. I did not realize Cramer had to deal with a staph infection as well as two ACL surgeries. What a road to travel.

https://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/ne ... ow/1135625
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Jojogunne wrote:Just putting this link in the media thread. I did not realize Cramer had to deal with a staph infection as well as two ACL surgeries. What a road to travel.

Prior to his surgeries he was recruited by Rutgers, Villanova, Seton Hall, Temple, etc. he’s as you’re seeing an amazing athlete and if healthy, will be a special player for years to come. He’s a great get by this program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

dutchalum01 wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:Just putting this link in the media thread. I did not realize Cramer had to deal with a staph infection as well as two ACL surgeries. What a road to travel.

Prior to his surgeries he was recruited by Rutgers, Villanova, Seton Hall, Temple, etc. he’s as you’re seeing an amazing athlete and if healthy, will be a special player for years to come. He’s a great get by this program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saw him scrimmage last year - his athleticism jumped of the page/ you saw his infectious enthusiasm.

What i love most about the kid/Hofstra/ this story is the mutual LOYALTY.

Wish nothing but the best for him!!!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Kid has superstar all over him. He is so explosive, and I love his decisiveness - he wastes no time, give him the ball and he's taking action. HU has been blessed with athleticism before, but never with his size (because they are high major bound). This is like having a 6'6 200lb Stokes! I am very impressed with his engagement on both ends of the floor, and he seems to do everything well - he scores, he passes, he defends, has court awareness/vision, he's passionate, energetic, he's literally the total package. This young man has a real chance to be not just a fan favorite, but one of the best and most electric players in the CAA in recent memory.

Now it's been 2 games, so I'm not anointing him that heavy burden yet lol, but just saying the chance for him to be that is real. His ability and the fact that he's a 20 yr old RS freshman means he will be an uber talented very seasoned upper classmen. Sky's the limit.

Great point daHUPride, the care and commitment both sides displayed is a true testament to the character of everyone involved. Really proud of how HU carries themselves, this is a high class staff, no doubt, and he is clearly from a standup family. EVERYONE should know his story and rally to support his rise like crazy!

For context, before his challenges when he was essentially a hs sophmore / early jr, he was already:
ESPN: 3 star #2 State, #56 Position, #70 Region
247: High 3 star, #78-90 Position, #415 National

Snippet from a Slam Dunk tournament event in 2016:
Mount Pleasant Green Knights (Wilmington, Del.)

Coach: Lisa Sullivan

Last Year: 20-4, No. 948 national ranking (MaxPreps), No. 2 state ranking (USA Today), lost in semifinals of DE tourney

Top Players: 6-5 So. F KVonn Cramer (top 150 nationally; Temple, others), 5-10 So. G Fahmir Ali, 6-4 Sr. G DeJon Backus, 5-10 Sr. G Keon Taylor

The Skinny: Cramer is a manchild who surged onto the national scene this summer. He posted 19 points and 9 boards in a Slam matchup with St. Elizabeth (Del.) last year, when he was just a freshman. The Green Knights are a disciplined, guard-heavy group who will compete with anyone. They got a boost this offseason, when Ali - one of the state’s top lead guards - transferred in from Salesianum.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Does anyone have a link to Kvonn's dunk on Sportscenter? Thanks.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Jojo its on YouTube go to hofstra bs wand M 1/2/21
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Jojo found this on youtube #CAA hoops dunk reel Jan 2nd Jan3rd 2021
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Sweet
Polito

Post by Polito »

I would LOVE to see a compilation video at the end of the year (and ultimately his career!) of all his explosive dunks and plays. I wish I was skilled with that, but a better video editor would be wise lol :)
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Polito: I'd like to see a compilation of all the times we've been on Sportscenter the last number of years. Between Jalen Ray's last second threes, likewise with JWF, Pemba with the full court heave, maybe Jenkins had one, now with Kvonn there have been a bunch.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

SportsCenter once showed three of our shots consecutively. We've won at the buzzer in a variety of ways. We should have been given 3 free throws for a shooting foul while down 3, but the foul was called before the shot for a 1-and-1. We made the first, missed the second, and Ray made a 3 to win 85-84 at Monmouth on December 6, 2017. On January 11, 2018, Towson ended their home winning streak when Brian Starr missed a 3 with 6 seconds left in a tie game when he should have held for the final shot, and Ray made a 3 to win 76-73. In a game I went to on January 5, 2019, Northeastern's Vasa Pusica made the same mistake, as he shot with 4 seconds in a tie game when he should have held for the final shot, and JWF made a 3 to win 75-72.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Is the locker room still being broadcast at 8Pm on Sunday nights
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... job-school is titled "Hofstra Pride men's basketball coach Joe Mihalich takes new job at school." I'm guessing that it's the longest AP article about us since the four thieves or farther back.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ness-games says:

"Who's the player you're most looking forward to seeing in action on Saturday?

Gasaway: There will be a flock of Wooden finalists in action Saturday against much lower seeds in games that, we think, won't be very close. (Ask Ohio State how those assumptions work.) So I'll go off-menu a bit here and say that I want to see what Osun Osunniyi of St. Bonaventure can get done against the talent and length of LSU.

Osunniyi has looked excellent all season against Atlantic 10 competition. But, to an extent that's truly historic, that's pretty much the only competition the Bonnies saw in this unusual season. St. Bonaventure has played a total of 80 minutes against two nonconference opponents: Akron and Hofstra. Maybe the NCAA tournament will be a coming-out party for the 6-foot-10 junior."
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... l-roberts/ lists the 22 best offensive seasons since 2003-2004 according to KenPom. The best is Duke's Zion Williamson's 129.2 in 2018-2019. Charles Jenkins' 123.5 ranks sixteenth, and the span is eighteen seasons including this one. Of the 22 players, Jenkins is the only one anywhere near New York City. The next closest are Canisius (in Buffalo)'s Billy Baron in 2013-2014, and Vermont's Ryan Davis this season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks Evan - if only Jenkins had a team around him - really missed opportunity of having one of the top talents of all time. This program is so close to being great you can taste it, just need that next level of leadership!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Here's a publication picking hofstra to win the league this year

https://cbbreview.com/2021/08/02/hofstr ... rank-2021/
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:Here's a publication picking hofstra to win the league this year

Cactus thanks for posting this definitely an optimistic take on this team hopefully the writer isn't a Hofstra alum. Based on what HUSID has posted here Iyiola would be sharing time in the post with Simmons with Simmons getting the nod. I also wonder whether in actuality that Dubar(not Dunbar) will start over Aaron Estrada. Estrada will give us another scorer IDK about Dubar in terms of his offensive upside. I like that they give our bench some recognition as having potential but they mention Vasquez and he doesn't appear to be on the team anymore? Most people would agree with Cooks, Ray and Cramer the rest is up for grabs with a lot of fierce competition.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
cactus wrote:Here's a publication picking hofstra to win the league this year

Cactus thanks for posting this definitely an optimistic take on this team hopefully the writer isn't a Hofstra alum. Based on what HUSID has posted here Iyiola would be sharing time in the post with Simmons with Simmons getting the nod. I also wonder whether in actuality that Dubar(not Dunbar) will start over Aaron Estrada. Estrada will give us another scorer IDK about Dubar in terms of his offensive upside. I like that they give our bench some recognition as having potential but they mention Vasquez and he doesn't appear to be on the team anymore? Most people would agree with Cooks, Ray and Cramer the rest is up for grabs with a lot of fierce competition.
Cool piece.
Agree that Hofstras bench is getting props is big - I think this team has the potential to be one of our best benches - if they live up to their potential and getting playing time - I think it'll equate to W's.
I originally thought the starting lineup would be Cooks, Ray, Dunbar, Cramer and Iyiola - so i WAS in agreement with this article. BUT - after being corrected that Dubar is more of F - I think Estrada is starting instead of Dubar - Dubar off the bench gives us depth upfront.
Regardless - we have talent that is worthy of competing in the CAA for a top finish.