Media Thread

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Media Thread

Post by triplec2195 »

Just talking about Dubar for what it's worth Iowa State had him listed as a guard and gohofstra has him listed as a guard. He started 7 games for Iowa State last year so you have to figure that he has some ball handling skills. Cramer is listed as a Forward on our website. Whether he is categorized as a guard or a forward he's a big addition to our program IMO.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Interestingly they don't mention Simmons who was more impressive to me than lylola.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Interestingly they don't mention Simmons who was more impressive to me than lylola.
A possible sign that they didn't do their homework but I wonder how much info. can u gather to make these kind of predictions. It's not like they're at the practices getting first hand info.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Love it, positive press is always a welcomed thing! HU of course has a chance, both because of potential talent (still to be realized), and also just because the CAA is really nothing special - winnable every year.

Dubar and Estrada seem to be great additions per all accounts, and that is exciting as both provide great size and position flexibility. Those 2 in addition to Burgess give great confidence in the guards.

I agree that Ray and Cooks could both avg 20/game, and that would be fantastic - the 3rd scoring option is always the key, so between the 2 above and Cramer, one needs to become a real star. I have very high expectations of Cramer, he and the staff need to ensure he takes a big step forward and learn how to play D well enough to stay in games and dominate.

I'm very interested to see Simmons and Iylola in real action - with the guards a clear strength, I think much of HU's success is riding on how well those 2 can man the post - we don't need superstars there, but they MUST give quality play in the CAA.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I picked up Lindy's College Basketball Yearbook for 2021-22 this week. Here are the highlights:

Predictions:
1 Delaware
2 Hofstra
3 Northeastern
4 JMU
5 UNCW
6 Elon
7 C of C
8 Drexel
9 W & M
10 Towson

First Team
G Ryan Allen UD*
G Cam Wynter DU*
G Jalen Ray HU*
G Jaylen Sims UNCW
F Dylan Painter UD*

Second Team
G Kevin Anderson UD
G Vado Morse JMU*
G Shaquille Walters NU
G Mike Orauru UNCW*
G Hunter McIntosh Elon*

* CAA post-season team 2020-21

Player of the Year
Jalen Ray

Newcomer of the Year
G Charles Falden JMU (GR transfer from Winthrop)

Honor Roll:
Best Shooter - Jalen Ray
Best Rebounder - Dylan Painter
Best Playmaker - G Caleb Burgess HU
Best Defender - Mike Okauru
Most Versatile - Cam Wynter
Best NBA Prospect - Cam Wynter
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hunter McIntosh plays for Elon, not UNCW, unless he transferred within the CAA.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Thanks, Evan. I just made the correction. My error, not the magazine's.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:I picked up Lindy's College Basketball Yearbook for 2021-22 this week. Here are the highlights:

Predictions:
1 Delaware
2 Hofstra
3 Northeastern
4 JMU
5 UNCW
6 Elon
7 C of C
8 Drexel
9 W & M
10 Towson

First Team
G Ryan Allen UD*
G Cam Wynter DU*
G Jalen Ray HU*
G Jaylen Sims UNCW
F Dylan Painter UD*

Second Team
G Kevin Anderson UD
G Vado Morse JMU*
G Shaquille Walters NU
G Mike Orauru UNCW*
G Hunter McIntosh Elon*

Player of the Year
Jalen Ray

Newcomer of the Year

Honor Roll:
Best Shooter - Jalen Ray
Thanks for posting this Jojo gives us a prospective as to where we might be in the pecking order but really just a very loose guideline for what may be. I know I've seen some predictions that NE is the team to beat so for us to be picked 2nd considering we will probably have 3/5 of our starters as new players is great. This is probably the reason that we weren't picked first although Delaware returns a lot of players including Dylan Painter and they should be a very competitive team. We are an unknown coming out of the gate with a lot of promise. As far as some of their individual predictions I question why Zack Cooks isn't predicted to be the newcomer of the year. He has far better stats and resume over this JMU kid. He would seem to be the shoo- in to win this award.

BTW Jojo what did the narrative say about this team especially some of the transfers??
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Nothing.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:Nothing.
Well that sucks!!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Jojogunne wrote:I picked up Lindy's College Basketball Yearbook for 2021-22 this week. Here are the highlights:

Predictions:
1 Delaware
2 Hofstra
3 Northeastern
4 JMU
5 UNCW
6 Elon
7 C of C
8 Drexel
9 W & M
10 Towson

First Team
G Ryan Allen UD*
G Cam Wynter DU*
G Jalen Ray HU*
G Jaylen Sims UNCW
F Dylan Painter UD*

Second Team
G Kevin Anderson UD
G Vado Morse JMU*
G Shaquille Walters NU
G Mike Orauru UNCW*
G Hunter McIntosh Elon*

Player of the Year
Jalen Ray

Newcomer of the Year

Honor Roll:
Best Shooter - Jalen Ray
Interesting - especially our Burgess - love that he is getting these props - I love how he has developed - happy for him getting recognition.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great pre-season pub... UD def has the parts to do something. Would be wild to have a throwback year of HU and UD battling it out.

For HU a lot of pressure and expectations for a first year HC with 9 new players. Hope he and they are up to the task. Gonna be tested a lot and early. But as we can see here, HU is still seen as a top team to beat largely due to Ray and a couple of returning starters, so the bar is set.

NU will always annoyingly be up there lol. Not sure about JMU and UNCW, seems high for the W frankly. 7th seems low for CofC - new staff yes, but one of the best staffs a mid could hope for. Doubt they'll be low for long.

All in all though, I really don't see a clear-cut favorite - should be another year of 4-5 vying for it all in the CAA.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Ken Pom has come out with the 2022 basketball ratings and it has Delaware ranked at 150, Northeastern at 158 and us at 168. Drexel is rated 179 and James Madison 182. There looks to be a lot of parity in this league at least for the top 5 and the CAA is stronger with the addition of a lot of transfers.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: Ken Pom has come out with the 2022 basketball ratings and it has Delaware ranked at 150, Northeastern at 158 and us at 168. Drexel is rated 179 and James Madison 182. There looks to be a lot of parity in this league at least for the top 5 and the CAA is stronger with the addition of a lot of transfers.
It's really bad to have the CAA's top team be 150th. That could give a team a 16 seeds. Division I is up to 358 teams, so the mean rank is 179.5, and the CAA's mean rank is 209.2. Delaware ranks 25th of 32 among the top team in each conference. The Big South (Winthrop in 155th), MAAC (Iona in 162nd), Ivy (Princeton in 164th), Northeast (Wagner in 192nd), Southwestern Athletic (Prairie View A&M in 224th), Southland (Nicholls State in 227th), and Mid-Estern Athletic (Morgan State in 256th) have their top team worse than that. If KenPom is accurate, we should play close games with Iona and Princeton.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: Ken Pom has come out with the 2022 basketball ratings and it has Delaware ranked at 150, Northeastern at 158 and us at 168. Drexel is rated 179 and James Madison 182. There looks to be a lot of parity in this league at least for the top 5 and the CAA is stronger with the addition of a lot of transfers.
It's really bad to have the CAA's top team be 150th. That could give a team a 16 seeds. Division I is up to 358 teams, so the mean rank is 179.5, and the CAA's mean rank is 209.2. Delaware ranks 25th of 32 among the top team in each conference. The Big South (Winthrop in 155th), MAAC (Iona in 162nd), Ivy (Princeton in 164th), Northeast (Wagner in 192nd), Southwestern Athletic (Prairie View A&M in 224th), Southland (Nicholls State in 227th), and Mid-Estern Athletic (Morgan State in 256th) have their top team worse than that. If KenPom is accurate, we should play close games with Iona and Princeton.
Just remember Evan this is a preseason rating which is going to be hard to predict because so many teams have a lot of new players in the form of transfers. Nobody knows how these schools are going to perform with new kids having to gel together and play as a cohesive unit. We may be one of the strongest teams on PAPER in the CAA but that doesn't guarantee results. On the other hand Delaware brings almost everyone back so you have something concrete to base their projections on. But you're right as far as the top team being ranked at 150. That for sure sucks! Clearly the conference needs to be better then this.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

SNY had a nice interview with Speedy Thursday night. He mentioned Jalen Ray, Aaron Estrada and Zach Cooks as three of the team’s key players.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:SNY had a nice interview with Speedy Thursday night. He mentioned Jalen Ray, Aaron Estrada and Zach Cooks as three of the team’s key players.
Wow that's huge info. is that interview on you tube or somewhere else?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:Just posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXwE4DrOTbE
Thanks JoJo for posting this and I like the comments about Jaquan that he's going to be an important player for years to come.