Media Thread

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: Media Thread

Post by EvanJ »

That's SportsXtra. It would be a big deal if SportsCenter interviewed the coach of a mid-major that is unlikely to make the NCAA Tournament. I hope radio hosts care about area teams in first in their conferences like Iona and Wagner and a contender like us and don't preview the Big East Tournament days later instead or ignore NCAA Basketball until after Selection Sunday.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:That's SportsXtra. It would be a big deal if SportsCenter interviewed the coach of a mid-major that is unlikely to make the NCAA Tournament. I hope radio hosts care about area teams in first in their conferences like Iona and Wagner and a contender like us and don't preview the Big East Tournament days later instead or ignore NCAA Basketball until after Selection Sunday.
Thanks for correcting it Evan got a bit hasty!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

There's an article in today's Newsday(our favorite paper) on page A45 about the outlook for the coming season with a less impressive(IMO) article directly underneath it covering Stony Brook. You know the other school in the CAA from Long Island. Nothing great as most of the talk is about Tyler Thomas. https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... l-nezayxtt
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

From Lindy's 2023-24 College Basketball Yearbook:

1, UNCW
2. Hofstra
3. Charleston
4. Towson
5. Delaware
6. Drexel
7. Northeastern
8. Stony Brook
9. Campbell
10. Elon
11. North Carolina A&T
12. Monmouth
13. William & Mary
14. Hampton

First Team

Reyne Smith, Charleston
Tyler Thomas, Hofstra
Jyáre Davis, Delaware
Charles Thompson, Towson
Trazarien White, UNCW

Second Team

Kobe Rodgers, Charleston
Maleeck Harden-Hayes, UNCW
Messiah Jones, Towson
Christian Ray, Delaware
Amari Williams, Drexel

Preseason Player of the Year: Tyler Thomas

Newcomer of the Year: Messiah Jones (6-6 Wofford transfer)

Best Shooter: Tyler Thomas
Best Rebounder: Amari Williams
Best Playmaker: Justin Moore, Drexel
Best Defender: Amari Williams
Most Versatile: Tyler Thomas
Best NBA Prospect: Tyler Thomas

Observations:

With 14 teams in the league, it will become harder for schools to place more than one player on the first or second preseason team.

Also, I am surprised that Charleston's Ante Brzovic did not make Lindy's first or second team. He played very well last year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Amazing the divergent opinions on this league and COC being picked 3rd and Drexel 6th. That's interesting. T.T. has been picked by others as the best player in the league so this doesn't come as any surprise but picking Amari Williams 2nd team seems a bit of a stretch.
Polito

Post by Polito »

This is definitely an interesting take, kinda admire Lindy's for mixing it up a bit. I've warned about the W since the Siddle hire... felt they really disappointed his first 2 years, but they started putting some things together last season - not sold yet, but they are a threat for sure.

Very surprised at the lack of respect for CofC in this though - I will be quite surprised if they are relegated to third. It's possible, they aren't "automatic", but that would be a considerable letdown for them.

Wonder if there will be a dark horse or a team that really surprises. I see some indications of Drexel, but I don't subscribe. One of the biggest questions for me is Northeastern - was last year truly an anomaly, or will they show more signs of Cohen slowing down on the success road?

Love the TT press... and I need to see Dubar on this list postseason. But what matters is the dance. Will gladly trade a POY for an NCAA berth. Would be thrilled to have both for once! :D
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Definitely trading a player of the year for NCAA. Visions of Buie's senior year kinda losing the battle(POY) but ultimately winning the war.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

St John's all over the news as they get another big article in the Newsday about them losing to D-2 Pace. Pitino downplayed this as he had injuries but can't be the least bit happy about the outcome of that game. Picture in the article shows the team at the NY Stock exchange. We have had plenty of pictures on Facebook and twitter but would be nice to be in the paper more.
Polito

Post by Polito »

They did have a lot of guys down, and they have a completely new roster who've never played together before... they are going to get better. But Pitino didn't blame that, he was quite honorable and took the L, the same he did vs HU. He doesn't seem to make a lot of excuses. They trailed the entire time, which is pretty wild. And it took double OT to win their other exhibition game.

I think we'll see this as a big transition year for the storm with lots of ups and downs - Pitino is easily one of the best coaches in the game, and he is starting to recruit at a very high level for them - already 4 top 150 kids in his first two classes, plus highly ranked transfers.

I'll stand by my statement that he'll have them in the dance in 2 years. This first year will be the one to 'get them', hope HU brings the heat on 12/30 at UBS! Chance to get a W against a program that will be national again soon. Super happy to have them on the schedule!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So reading through that paper called the Newsday I see all our blowout efforts against an opponent from the American conference who has Wichita State, Florida Atlantic, Tulane etc. get a whopping 6 lines of very small coverage. If you blink you miss this non coverage but somehow there's a half page on the St John's game tonight against West Virginia. An article having to do with one of Rick Pitino's former player at Iona. Just a sad joke this paper!!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Agree Triplec but what are we going to do about it?

We need to, as a group express out displeasure. I have already sent emails to the online sports eiditor....I will make this a stand alone thread and get the emails of the decision makers in sports and post them.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID can you provide an e-mail contact I'll f/u on your e-mail. TY
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Also I know from my complaints about the Newsday being "Front Runners" covering St John's over the years more then us I've received back replies that they have a lot of alumni on Long Island and deserve to be in the headlines. So what about us? The real reason is they have a storied past and they're bigger news in the college sports world then we're. Now especially with Pitino over there and his pedigree.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Newsday is living rent free in your heads. Of course St John's being in the Big East is going to get a bunch more coverage than Hofstra. It is the reality of it. Plus the newspaper business is a dying business; who cares.

Speedy got a shoutout on WFAN from Evan Roberts the other day and they had a little back and forth on twitter. Gio from the morning show was wearing a Hofstra pullover and that show goes out nationally on tv for everyone to see. some small article in Newsday isn't going to do anything for us.

The Hofstra social media team is very active in pushing out video clips and posts out on twitter/Facebook. We have more games on tv this year than in any year I can remember including I believe at least 5 nationally televised games not counting the ESPN+ games.

This is the stuff that will help grow the following.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Actually Newsday is costing us maybe the reason we keep harping on it but it's venting more then anything else. I take it somewhat personal for a paper I pay for and then they snub my Alma mater and choke me with St John's crap. In reality St John's hasn't really been relative in quite some time. We have utilized other forms of media and that's a plus for us good points.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I wonder why Aaron Estrada was not included in that list
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Estradas numbers at Alabama 17.75 pts Pg
4.25 reb pg 3 assts per game
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Be realistic there are a lot of players on this list throughout the country. This is someone's opinion.