Media Thread

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
The Shadow

Re: Media Thread

Post by The Shadow »

Just another in the long list of HU disrespect: Lack of Newsday coverage, CAA Conference 2018 video not mentioning THREE HU Champions, MBB announcers not doing an adequate JWF preparation for a current National Player of the Week and 2018 CAA Player of the Year, etc. Remember, winning takes care of everything. All the slights really should not effect a well prepared college athletic team. Focus on the next opponent.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Shadow agree the team and players should shake it off But as fans we have a legitimate gripe
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

On the other hand, great piece by friend Bruce Beck of NBC Channel 4 on our 9 game winning streak and JWF as the "best player" in NY. Too bad Newsday hasn't figured this out yet...will try to find and post link.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Saw it at 11. Nice exposure.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

We have entered ESPN's bracketology as a 13 seed.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:On the other hand, great piece by friend Bruce Beck of NBC Channel 4 on our 9 game winning streak and JWF as the "best player" in NY. Too bad Newsday hasn't figured this out yet...will try to find and post link.
I was watching channel 4 at 6 I didn't see this clip. What time did it air?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID74 wrote: The SNY telecast of the WM Delaware game called Justin Foreman-Wright" EMBARRASSING!
It's bad, but keep in mind that the announcers work for Delaware. They weren't hired by SNY or any other channel. The game had ads for businesses near UD that don't benefit from the game being on SNY or NBC Sports Washington+. The game was simulcast on three channels, with NBC Sports Philadelphia+ the channel showing it in Delaware. A few years ago, Northeastern's video showed "WMU" thinking it was William & Mary University.
HofstraMathew wrote: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

We're first in the CAA in some rankings, and moved 2 spots behind Charleston in the NET. The NET being created is good for us because the ranking we are worst at is the RPI. I though we deserved better seeds than we got in 2000 and 2001. I remember us being about 40th in the RPI in 2000-2001, but I have no way of checking. The Sagarin has ratings going that far back, and we are currently 84th, compared to 62nd after 2000-2001 when we got a 13 seed. There's no way of finding out our Sagarin in 2000-2001 going into the NCAA Tournament, but it probably didn't move much after Selection Sunday.
Last edited by EvanJ on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

That would be nice if it were etched in stone. I wonder what seed we would actually have if we wind up only losing a couple of games and have blow out margins of victory in the CAA OF course assuming we win the CAA championship.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:
HUSID74 wrote: The SNY telecast of the WM Delaware game called Justin Foreman-Wright" EMBARRASSING!
It's bad, but keep in mind that the announcers work for Delaware. They weren't hired by SNY or any other channel. The game had ads for businesses near UD that don't benefit from the game being on SNY or NBC Sports Washington+. The game was simulcast on three channels, with NBC Sports Philadelphia+ the channel showing it in Delaware. A few years ago, Northeastern's video showed "WMU" thinking it was William & Mary University.
Clue me in on this reference. What was the EMBARRASSING PHRASE REFERRING TO?? That he's embarrassingly good? He sat a lot of minutes in this game because of the blowout.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:On the other hand, great piece by friend Bruce Beck of NBC Channel 4 on our 9 game winning streak and JWF as the "best player" in NY. Too bad Newsday hasn't figured this out yet...will try to find and post link.
I was watching channel 4 at 6 I didn't see this clip. What time did it air?
I saw it on the 11 pm news....sports was the last segment. Believe it ran on the 6 pm news as well.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID74 explained as I was explaining for hm. I tried to delete this post, but the board wouldn't let me. Maybe you can't delete posts if somebody posted after you.
Last edited by EvanJ on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:
EvanJ wrote:
Clue me in on this reference. What was the EMBARRASSING PHRASE REFERRING TO?? That he's embarrassingly good? He sat a lot of minutes in this game because of the blowout.
Nope that's not the issue...the announcers for the Delaware/WM game called Justin Wright Foreman JUSTIN FOREMAN WRIGHT!!!!!! They are doing a CAA game and DONT KNOW THE CORRECT NAME OF THE CONFERENCE'S BEST PLAYER....RIDICULOUS!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Nice to get in on Linardi's Bracketology...Good Publicity! Let's hope it comes TRUE!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm not paying attention sorry. Yeah I was watching that game and might have heard that.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

On the highlights from William & Mary at Delaware, JWF wasn't the only name an announcer got wrong. William & Mary has Thornton Scott. His name was said twice on the highlights, and the first time the announcer called him Scott Thornton. The second time in the highlights, the announcer was correct, but he might have said Scott Thornton other times that weren't in the highlights.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Side note here on newsday:

Trust me, HU keeps winning, and even better goes dancing, and they will be the last news concern in the wave of media that will take hold of this team. And cinderella would be off the charts - just the nature and benefit of being near NYC. Really nice advantage for HU, when they are good!

And mark my words, newsday will act like they've been there the whole time, lol. As the real outlets pick this group up and do real coverage, they will have no choice as to not look completely foolish.

I spend not an ounce of time nor $ on them.
Polito

Post by Polito »

In addition to the ESPN coverage I noted in the game thread, Rothstein tweeted it (scroll down a little), and SB Nation Mid-Major Madness front page article on marquee matchups:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein?ref_sr ... r%5Eauthor
https://www.midmajormadness.com/
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Polito, Thanks for the links. There is also a good article on Daly Dose of Hoops. Roll Pride! On to William & Mary and Elon!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:Polito, Thanks for the links. There is also a good article on Daly Dose of Hoops. Roll Pride! On to William & Mary and Elon!
https://dalydoseofhoops.blogspot.com/20 ... fstra.html … #Hofstra #CAAHoops
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The first time https://nuhuskies.com/news/2019/1/5/men ... 75-72.aspx mentioned Wright-Foreman, they said "Wright Foreman" without the hyphen.