Media Thread

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Media Thread

Post by triplec2195 »

I listened to this interview and I come away with a bit of a different take. I heard Joe being asked more then once whether this current team is the best team he has had here and he compared it to the the team that went to the CAA championship game. He said he hopes this team is better and for sure has more depth. The expectations are big for this team and if you read between the lines I think he believes he can win this thing this year. Just my take on the interview.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1062020123228364800 is praise from ESPN's Seth Greenberg, and his tweet was linked to on the ESPN NCAA scoreboard page. Unfortunately, he left the hyphen out of Wright-Foreman.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

EvanJ wrote:https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1062020123228364800 is praise from ESPN's Seth Greenberg, and his tweet was linked to on the ESPN NCAA scoreboard page. Unfortunately, he left the hyphen out of Wright-Foreman.
He also spelled "will" wrong, so I'll take just a missing hyphen.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

And tagged the wrong Joe Mihalich and CAA Basketball (unless he was trying to connect JWF with an agent). lol
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Matt Grogan got some nice recognition from Nassau County. Always nice to hear of alumni succeeding, even if it's not in basketball.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/nas ... 1.24688138
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Once again I'll reiterate that my favorite newspaper(right) Newsday had rather a small article on this game against Delaware. Considering not a lot of local hoops happening we should have received some substantial press IMO considering what a blowout this game was. There was a picture of Justin though so maybe we should be thankful for small favors.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

For away games they just copy from the AP. For home games they sometimes write more than they just did. It may have been because Newsday is smallest on Saturdays and largest on Sundays, so I would guess home games on Saturdays get the longest articles.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:For away games they just copy from the AP. For home games they sometimes write more than they just did. It may have been because Newsday is smallest on Saturdays and largest on Sundays, so I would guess home games on Saturdays get the longest articles.
Yes that certainly could be it seems that we very rarely play games on a Friday.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: Yes that certainly could be it seems that we very rarely play games on a Friday.
There are not many games on Friday in any conference. The CAA uses different days of the week the first than the rest of the season. Now that the CAA Tournament is Saturday through Tuesday (even if it started on Friday we would expect a bye), the only way we have another Friday game is a postponement or in the postseason.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:Once again I'll reiterate that my favorite newspaper(right) Newsday had rather a small article on this game against Delaware. Considering not a lot of local hoops happening we should have received some substantial press IMO considering what a blowout this game was. There was a picture of Justin though so maybe we should be thankful for small favors.
More important that the Baldwin HS girls game got almost a full page...Newsday is a HORSE.....t paper. It does NOTHING to promote/support the colleges unless of course you are Duke and playing in the Garden; then you get a full back page.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Once again I'll reiterate that my favorite newspaper(right) Newsday had rather a small article on this game against Delaware. Considering not a lot of local hoops happening we should have received some substantial press IMO considering what a blowout this game was. There was a picture of Justin though so maybe we should be thankful for small favors.
More important that the Baldwin HS girls game got almost a full page...Newsday is a HORSE.....t paper. It does NOTHING to promote/support the colleges unless of course you are Duke and playing in the Garden; then you get a full back page.
Its a shame that they done cover HU and SB - 1/4 of a page or 1/8 of a page for every game is all it would take - hope they don't just jump on the bandwagon at the end of great season.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ted-midway says:

"The next UMBC?
Stony Brook: The Seawolves still need to win the America East to get a bid, but Stony Brook has wins at Northern Iowa, South Carolina, Rhode Island and GW. It may not scare anyone, but Stony Brook won’t be fazed in a first round. Oh, and Stony Brook shouldn’t be a 16 if it gets in with its non-conference record of 12-3.

The CAA race
Hofstra and Charleston have won nine in a row. But Northeastern may have the most talent. The winner of this league will have a chance to win a first-round game."

I didn't put Stony Brook first to prioritize them. I used the order the article did.

How much would the media care if we played Stony Brook in the NIT?
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

JWF named USBWA player of the week. Quite an honor. Wonder if Newsday will even pick it up and give it proper attention.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Don’t count on it
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ted-midway says:

"The next UMBC?
Stony Brook: The Seawolves still need to win the America East to get a bid, but Stony Brook has wins at Northern Iowa, South Carolina, Rhode Island and GW. It may not scare anyone, but Stony Brook won’t be fazed in a first round. Oh, and Stony Brook shouldn’t be a 16 if it gets in with its non-conference record of 12-3.

The CAA race
Hofstra and Charleston have won nine in a row. But Northeastern may have the most talent. The winner of this league will have a chance to win a first-round game."

I didn't put Stony Brook first to prioritize them. I used the order the article did.

How much would the media care if we played Stony Brook in the NIT?
Statements like "NE may have the most talent" are so opinionated they border on being absurd. What is this based on this statement? Now I may be biased but 1-5 is there a stronger more athletic team in this conference? We already know we have the best player in Justin and a all CAA player in Pemberton. Buie has finally proven himself to be one of the best PG's in the league a all around solid player. Now you look at Coburn who can do it all rebound, score, shoots high percentage from the FT line and eventually will be a double digit scorer on this team. So whats left our 5 Taylor who has really come into his own in the trenches. He's a true center who blocks shots can rebound shoot FT's(unlike ROK) and has a modest mid range game. Come on is there really a team in this league that is more talented then us? Maybe deeper benches(maybe) but more talented 1-5 I don't think so. We'll find out soon enough how we stack up against the possibly most talented team in the conference on Saturday.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

NE was picked to win the conference. Is it really that crazy that a writer thinks they have the most talent? And the actual quote is "may have the most talent". Of course I agree with you that Hofstra has more talent because I am a Hofstra fan. But to complete dismiss NE I think is wrong.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:NE was picked to win the conference. Is it really that crazy that a writer thinks they have the most talent? And the actual quote is "may have the most talent". Of course I agree with you that Hofstra has more talent because I am a Hofstra fan. But to complete dismiss NE I think is wrong.
I never would dismiss NE just like I wouldn't dismiss COC. I also like the coach of NE. I've seen some of his post game interviews and he's a real gentleman and tells it the way it is. He has complimented Justin on more then one occasion. I believe though that we have a better team then NE and also COC. Will it pan out that way we will find out soon enough.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I have no problem with stating it that way. If he wrote "Northeastern does have the most talent," I would complain.

I looked up what players not in the top six conferences won USBWA Player of the Week, and here they are:

2018-2019: None before JWF

2017-2018: 3 times- Chandler Hutchison of Boise State shared with Luwane Pipkins of Massachusetts, Jock Landale of St. Mary's, and Matt Mobley of St. Bonaventure

2016-2017: 6 times- Ryan Taylor of Marshall*, Quincy McKnight of Sacred Heart*, Tim Cline of Richmond, Jacob Wiley of Eastern Washington*, Mike Daum of South Dakota State^, and Elijah Bryant of Brigham Young (who started at Elon)

2015-2016: 3- Kay Felder of Oakland (Michigan), Jack Gibbs of Davidson, Austin McBroom of Eastern Washington*

2014-2015: 7 by 6 players- Kyle Wiltjer of Gonzaga twice, Christian Wood of Nevada-Las Vegas (UNLV), Tyler Harvey of Eastern Washington*, Jerome Hill of Gardner-Webb*, Seth Tuttle of Northern Iowa, and Marcus Posley of St. Bonaventure

2013-2014: 2- Aaric Murray of Texas Southern* and Willis Hall of Charleston

2012-2013: 3- Doug McDermott of Creighton (in the Missouri Valley before they moved to the Big East), Roosevelt Jones of Butler (in their one season in the Atlantic 10 in between the Horizon League and Big East), and Michael Lyons of Air Force

2011-2012: 4- Mike Glover of Iona, Doug McDermott of Creighton, Kyle Weems of Missouri State, and Damian Lillard of Weber State*

2010-2011: 5- Mike Glover of Iona, Jimmer Fredette of Brigham Young (BYU), Vlad Moldoveanu of American*, Mike Muscala of Bucknell*, and Kenneth Faried of Morehead State*

2009-2010: 3- Gordon Hayward of Butler, Jimmer Fredette of Brigham Young (BYU), and Adrian Oliver of San Jose State

The CAA is 19th in the Conference RPI. A * means the player was in a conference worse than 19th in that season's Conference RPI, and a ^ means the player was in the conference that was 19th in that season's Conference RPI.

Willis Hall was the only CAA player to win it. Before JWF, there were more awards for former CAA players (2) than players while in the CAA (1). In addition to Elijah Bryant who I noted, Vlad Moldoveanu of American started at George Mason.

The Player of the Week Awards start in December and end in late February.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The team will be featured on NBC New York tonight at 6

https://www.facebook.com/HofstraMBB/pos ... &__tn__=-R
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The SNY telecast of the WM Delaware game called Justin Foreman-Wright" EMBARRASSING!