MBB Recruits 2021

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Captain

Re: MBB Recruits 2021

Post by Captain »

More research on Amare Marshall; he and Zion Bethea were a high scoring guard combo at Immaculate Conception in 2020. This was Zion's senior year and Marshall's junior year.
Amare took his senior year at Roselle Catholic in this crazy half year of high school basketball. This team also has a guard graduating in 2022 that Hofstra has offered named Jemarques Lawrence. Hofstra obviously likes what it has seen from Zion, Amare and now Jemarques. Maybe we will have 3 guys who grew up together continuing their basketball careers at Hofstra. Pretty unusual but might be nice.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Very interesting get, did I misunderstand this one, I thought he was for next year not this current class?

If he’s for now then I am a bit perplexed unless a change is coming. This program needs another big.
Cards

Post by Cards »

2022 PF Perry Smith down to 8 schools. HU, BC, NC St, South Car, T A&M, Iona, Alabama, Tulsa.
Many big program schools were on his original list that HU has already beat out. Kid had lots of offers. Still a long shot, but you never know.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:2022 PF Perry Smith down to 8 schools. HU, BC, NC St, South Car, T A&M, Iona, Alabama, Tulsa.
Many big program schools were on his original list that HU has already beat out. Kid had lots of offers. Still a long shot, but you never know.
Imagine the minutes that we could give a 4 star post stud. This would be a great get for sure!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Uumm... YES PLS, GIMMIE THAT
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Some "open gym" highlights, followed by a short interview that's a little hard to hear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BhNCPFOKAU
Polito

Post by Polito »

Would be a terror in the CAA

Gonna be a tough pull... apparently is Earl Grants nephew (former CofC now at BC), and as a top 5 South Carolina guy I’m sure USC is on him hard - and he played with one of their guys last year too.

Would be a big time get - surprised to see HU in it actually, quite curious who has the strong relationship for this one - great work by the staff to have a hat on the table, let’s see if they can make some magic happen!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Good info. Polito it's all the inside stuff that you need to be privy to but just to be somewhat in the conversation is a plus for us. When we finally wake up from this dream we will see how this shakes out. Probably though another disappointment for us but at least having a chance slim one is very positive.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Is it in any way unusual that we haven't signed anyone for 2022? I realize that's early so I guess it's the big schools that are making all the noise right now. Does anyone know what's happening with Perry Smith Jr. Are we still in the mix for this kid??
Polito

Post by Polito »

Bumping up… quiet all around on ‘22 - any inside recruiting scoop for us to chew on??

Nothing new on Smith yet - seems warm on BC… look tough to beat
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Pulling in a ton of Philly guys. Barrouk, Tomasco, now this kid. If Speedy can keep the NYC/NJ/Philly pipeline strong, we're in good shape. Don't know anything about Farmer, 6'3 is good size and it looks like he can shoot.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Fantastic stuff, I LOVE snagging the Philly talent, esp the Catholic League, tons of high end talent there - and of course I will trust Speedy for guards, every time all the time - he's more than proven himself on the trail IMO.

6'4 Combo Guard, 1st team all-league, 2nd team all-state
19pts and nearly 6 boards a game
Shot 42.6 % from 3 8-)

Highly rated from Future150: 4 star / high major by their books
https://future150.com/hs/basketball-pro ... ia-pa-2021

Scouting Report:
"If there's one thing Farmer knows how to do, it's put the ball in the hoop. The 6-3 guard isn't shy about pulling up with range from behind the arc, and he knows how to use that shooting ability to get defenders in the air and attack the hoop or pull up in the mid-range; also not afraid of contact around the rim. Converts at a high percentage from the line and also rebounds well for a guard. (Last updated: April 30, 2021)"
https://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/khalil-farmer

I think COVID limited his exposure a lot, as did his original HS, but his transfer to RC and playing AAU this summer shot his interest up - solid mid major offers, but no high end ones - kid can score and shoot the rock though, and I'd say this should be a really good get in the end.

I believe Barrouk really helped here, and perhaps even a bit of Tomasco. HU was one of the more recent offers, so my bet is some friendships and Speedy landed this.

Pluses
Scorer
Can create space for own shot
Excellent catch and shoot - quick trigger and confident, nice arc
Good size and comfortable attacking the basket / finishing in traffic / contact
Strong rebounder

Minuses
Not super athletic or fast - medium of both
Adequate ball handler, but nothing special

Unsure
Seems to value D, but need more proof

Welcome aboard! Really looking forward to seeing what this staff can do with this recruiting season...
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

My only concern is that Farmer didn't have any higher offers. From JerryDP's link: "The 6-foot-3, 180-pound Philadelphia native also held offers from NJIT, Binghamton, Marist, Robert Morris, Boston Univeristy, Albany, Drexel, St. Peter’s (NJ), Towson, Wagner, Fairfield, Wagner, and Niagara."
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Jojogunne wrote:My only concern is that Farmer didn't have any higher offers. From JerryDP's link: "The 6-foot-3, 180-pound Philadelphia native also held offers from NJIT, Binghamton, Marist, Robert Morris, Boston Univeristy, Albany, Drexel, St. Peter’s (NJ), Towson, Wagner, Fairfield, Wagner, and Niagara."
Remember Colin Gillespie? Didn't have any higher offers until Villanova then committed to them right away. Need to lock these guys down before they get the big time offers. So not too much of a concern for me. I trust Speedy knows what he is doing when he is recruiting guards; this is literally his best skill as a coach. He has basically recruited all the top guards we have over the past few years.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

My thought is if he’s a kid that can come in off the bench and put the ball in the net while eating up some minutes, these are exactly the types of players you want to add to your roster. Kid has a great stroke and can split some defenders. Don’t need to be the fastest guy on the court to be a solid addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Glad to see us get this announcement out so quickly:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2021/11/12/m ... fstra.aspx
Polito

Post by Polito »

Same concern Jojo, but my hope is after reading about him is that covid impacted his exposure quite a bit - his first aau run produced immediate offers from at least a few respectable mids - again, will trust Speedy and guards, he's proven himself there IMO - but let's see how Farmer fairs this season. Hoping for a big time sleeper here. Although every player won't be that and doesn't need to be, he may be a solid supportive piece. Will be following his play this year to gauge better - RC is a very good program, he has D1 teammates, including a top 50-ish kid in Skillings, and plays top competition - we should have a better sense by next Feb...

Actually pretty amazing to see both the announcement and the signing this fast lol - nice job Speedy and staff, that is refreshing

Ditto to HUSID, this program needs BIGS - c'mon staff, get some talent under the basket please. Looking right at you Parrotta - yes, player development is important and part of it, but recruiting is everything, and it's still unproven what you can actually do on the trail - big expectations this class.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Anyone see any correlation with the timing of Farmer and the near win against Houston? Is it possible that game helped him decide or was he decided ahead of that? Just curious really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I doubt it. Although we played Houston on Tuesday, Wednesday was the first day HS seniors could sign their NLIs. This had to be arranged well in advance of signing day.