JWF in the NBA Bubble

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Re: JWF in the NBA Bubble

Post by Hofstra »

Glad they sent him home. That anti-semite has no place on an NBA roster.

Who cares if he plays basketball with Jews? He said what he said, he most likely meant it. He got drafted by an NBA team. Hating jews or not, that was most likely it for him. He wont be much in the NBA. Hoping he never sees the court again though. No place in sports for racists like him.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

stuball888 wrote:He is toast! Thats why Im not on facebook, twitter, instagram or tic toc. Nothing good ever comes from these platforms.
If you had Facebook, or twitter do you fear that you would not be able to control yourself and just post racist stuff all day long? I tend to think thats not the case.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Do any of you think this unfortunate incident will affect the possible #3 retirement by the HU athletic department?
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

No place for an anti-Semite like him? Lol that’s laughable. All of you are up in arms over a stupid retweet. Kid apologized and most likely didn’t think about what he was retweeting. Our g-d damn president is a racist and xenophobic and most of you probably have no issue with him. He apologized and reached out to a rabbis wife to make amends. Get over yourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

dutchalum01 wrote:No place for an anti-Semite like him? Lol that’s laughable. All of you are up in arms over a stupid retweet. Kid apologized and most likely didn’t think about what he was retweeting. Our g-d damn president is a racist and xenophobic and most of you probably have no issue with him. He apologized and reached out to a rabbis wife to make amends. Get over yourselves.

Our president has nothing to do with JWF and his anti Semitic tweet. Just because he apologized we have to suck his D again? FOH. Can we all do horrific things and apologize for them and it be OK?? Can I use hate words, but go to a rabbi or a priest and say "my bad" and all be forgotten? If Trump said sorry to someone he offended like you, would you say to others "get over yourselves"?

Just because he went to Hofstra doesn't mean we can excuse him of wrong doing. If he went to Towson, would you feel the same way?
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Hofstra wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote:No place for an anti-Semite like him? Lol that’s laughable. All of you are up in arms over a stupid retweet. Kid apologized and most likely didn’t think about what he was retweeting. Our g-d damn president is a racist and xenophobic and most of you probably have no issue with him. He apologized and reached out to a rabbis wife to make amends. Get over yourselves.

Our president has nothing to do with JWF and his anti Semitic tweet. Just because he apologized we have to suck his D again? FOH. Can we all do horrific things and apologize for them and it be OK?? Can I use hate words, but go to a rabbi or a priest and say "my bad" and all be forgotten? If Trump said sorry to someone he offended like you, would you say to others "get over yourselves"?

Just because he went to Hofstra doesn't mean we can excuse him of wrong doing. If he went to Towson, would you feel the same way?
It was simply a “retweet” without thinking. Dwayne Wade did exactly the same thing, once he realized what he retweeted, he deleted it and issued an apology. Just because a kid makes a mistake and then realizes he made a mistake, we are suppose to not take him at his word and condemn him? Show me one other time in Justin’s career that he’s made anti-Semitic remarks or any racial remarks for that matter. Again - it was a RE-TWEET, and MISTAKE that he apologized for. Nothing more, nothing less. If you choose to not support him any longer because of this - that’s your loss.

Captain

Post by Captain »

The new world is not a very tolerant world. Say the wrong thing, offend the wrong side once and you can be done. CANCELLED!!
You are not allowed to make a mistake when you are 22 years old. Most of us would have had more than one stupid act or deed at his age. I know I did some dumb things but the world was a more forgiving place then. Thank God.
None of us is perfect...let he who has not sinned cast the first stone. JWF will learn from this. It's a scary world when your livelihood can be wiped out because of one stupid statement.
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

Probably like all of us I was surprised and disappointed in JWFs' action. His follow up " ain't apologizing for nothing I said" showed a closed mind, immaturity and in punk talk no less. It reflected poorly upon him and everyone and thing he cares about including Hofstra. What he understood and felt at the time we can not know but we can be proud of how he handled it. We all make missteps; it is how we deal with them that makes the difference. I appreciate and value the perspective and words of the Rabbi and thank 01 for posting the link. It altered my feelings about the incident completely. It showed JWF to be a stand up guy interested in making amends and learning. Playing basketball with those kids was the greatest gift he had to give. As for how irrelevant 01's reference to the President was is an open question. Being 22 and having had 4 years of it exposed to the level of hate and bigotry coming from him has unleashed a rising tide of unfortunate behavior around our country.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

It amazes me that we worship this kid for 3 years use superlatives when referencing him for not only his outstanding play but also his character and selfless nature. Now he makes a foolish mistake and all his accomplishments and good will are quickly forgotten and he gets vilified here. So like people have said here we're called humans but are not allowed to make mistakes. I could see if he was a trouble maker and an incorrigible person taking the position that some have taken here but this kid was an exemplary player on and off the court. We need to be more forgiving here IMO and I for one am still in Justin's corner and wish him nothing but the best.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

To pull this back from my original comment that started the conversation, I wasn't trying to indicate that the anti-Semitic comment would be the sole reason he'd be let go this off-season. I was pointing out that, as a rookie on a 2-way contract, you don't want to pull any negative attention to yourself or be a distraction in any way for the team, period. It will not help your cause.

I was also pointing out that, while this incident shouldn't and wouldn't be the sole reason he's let go, he was THE ONLY player swapped out of the bubble for the Jazz, which included other two-way players (at guard positions...) and undrafted first year players. Whether he made that comment or not, being chosen as the bottom of the totem pole is a simple but important indicator for his future with the team. Again, more of a data point than a prediction, and not one I personally find happiness in sharing.

On the topic of his comment and it's impact-- I don't think this will or should affect his HU legacy in any way. Justin is a good person and community member who made a dumb and ill-informed mistake. We've all been 22, but none of us have been 22 with a stage like his. He's facing the consequences and showing growth-- that's an incredible step in the right direction for forgiveness.

I expect him to go down as a positive member of the HU community and legend from his time. I'd be really surprised if the legacy is written any differently. I wouldn't, however, be surprised if he's on a different team next year, whether g-league or NBA.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

triplec2195 wrote:It amazes me that we worship this kid for 3 years use superlatives when referencing him for not only his outstanding play but also his character and selfless nature. Now he makes a foolish mistake and all his accomplishments and good will are quickly forgotten and he gets vilified here. So like people have said here we're called humans but are not allowed to make mistakes. I could see if he was a trouble maker and an incorrigible person taking the position that some have taken here but this kid was an exemplary player on and off the court. We need to be more forgiving here IMO and I for one am still in Justin's corner and wish him nothing but the best.
100% agree with you.

daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

dutchalum01 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:It amazes me that we worship this kid for 3 years use superlatives when referencing him for not only his outstanding play but also his character and selfless nature. Now he makes a foolish mistake and all his accomplishments and good will are quickly forgotten and he gets vilified here. So like people have said here we're called humans but are not allowed to make mistakes. I could see if he was a trouble maker and an incorrigible person taking the position that some have taken here but this kid was an exemplary player on and off the court. We need to be more forgiving here IMO and I for one am still in Justin's corner and wish him nothing but the best.
100% agree with you.

Well said "DA01". JFW - was and is a great spokesman for HU and HUBB. Dumb mistake - yes. Social media amplified - YES.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

daHUPride wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote:
100% agree with you.

Well said "DA01". JFW - was and is a great spokesman for HU and HUBB. Dumb mistake - yes. Social media amplified - YES.
Not sure I would call him a great spokesperson for the university after what he posted. He was quiet, and a great ball player. Once you make a mistake though, its hard to go back to the way things were. I would call Charles Jenkins a great ambassador for the university. Speedy Claxton as well, amongst many others. Blaming social media is a bad excuse. JWF thought for some reason that it was ok to bash the jewish community. He is one of the few players from our great university to make it to the next level, but he referenced Jews in a very poor light. Is there no accountability anymore? Hes an adult, he's a father. He isn't a stupid teenager.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Does anyone know the current status of JWF as far as the Utah Jazz go. I didn't see his name in the box score against the Phoenix Suns. Is he still part of the Jazz??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

There are 19 players listed on Utahs roster including Brantley Justin NOT on the roster Not good news
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

stuball888 wrote:There are 19 players listed on Utahs roster including Brantley Justin NOT on the roster Not good news
his contract was not renewed and has not been picked up by another team. Brantley did however get extended.

stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Did the incident with the tweet and the Jewish community seal the deal
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:Did the incident with the tweet and the Jewish community seal the deal
That certainly didn't help, but I don't think it factored in to decision.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If it didnt why isnt he at least on the Salt Lake City roster I think Utah just cut ties with Justin
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »