Post by Polito »

THAT is cool!
Wags

Re: Live Q&A for Fans with Coach Mihalich - 4/2/20, 6 pm ET

Post by Wags »

HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Was pretty fun to watch live. I didn't realize that during a dead period you can't even talk about your current roster.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:Was pretty fun to watch live. I didn't realize that during a dead period you can't even talk about your current roster.
That's when I stopped listening. I wanted to here about this team but fully understand this.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Texted Joe afterward and told him he should be doing an update/perhaps different subjects every two weeks during this pandemic...would be great to take our minds off this stuff even for a an hour or so!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Would be great to keep the fire very much burning!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:Texted Joe afterward and told him he should be doing an update/perhaps different subjects every two weeks during this pandemic...would be great to take our minds off this stuff even for a an hour or so!
I don't know if you saw the end of the call, but Coach and Stephen floated the idea of doing another similar call in a couple of weeks and perhaps doing more of them after that.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Coach mentioned the possibility of retiring Desure’s number. Nothing against the guy at all but to me that would be a slap in the face to both Eli and JWF. I mean if you had to rank the Hofstra careers of those guys it would have to be 1. JWF 2. Pemberton 3. Buie.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:Coach mentioned the possibility of retiring Desure’s number. Nothing against the guy at all but to me that would be a slap in the face to both Eli and JWF. I mean if you had to rank the Hofstra careers of those guys it would have to be 1. JWF 2. Pemberton 3. Buie.
I don't really know what the protocol is when a players number is retired. What are the criteria if any? Is there a time frame to be taken into consideration? Considering that we haven't retired a lot of numbers it would suggest that a lot of players haven't met the requirements so should three players who played on the same team have their numbers retired? It should be a selective process where only the ultimate exemplary players have their numbers retired. I'm all in on Justin who I think was one of the greatest players to ever put on a uniform here if not the greatest. Do we retire Pemberton and Buie also? In terms of getting slapped in the face I think Justin has already had this happen to him when they let someone else wear his jersey in practice for some unknown reason.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If Desure and Eli are retired so should Norman Richardsons number He was a 2x Holiday Festival MVP He joined Chet Walker and Chris Mullin for that honor
Captain

Post by Captain »

This is morphing into another thread. Whose number should be retired? When do you retire a number? It was amazing to retire Charles Jenkins number on his senior day. That may never happen again.
Remember Hofstra has an Athletics hall of Fame. I think the bar for retiring your number is a bit higher than even the HOF.
My list would start with retiring Loren Stokes' number and installing the 2006 team into the Hofstra hall of Fame. Then Justin or maybe cool for JWF and Desure to go in together since they seemed to be inseparable anyway.
The current team should also be considered for the HOF.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I'm not a big fan of retiring numbers in college, but we need to get a Stokes banner hanging in the rafters, Norm and JWF ones as well. We're just going to run out of numbers for the current players to wear!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I like all these players having their numbers retired if we're going to have a commencement retiring numbers I'm sure that there will be a lot of other suggestions for numbers to be retired. Yes this should have its own topic.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Coach's comment was an off the cuff comment basically praising Buie. I think you could hear Coach say the same thing about Green, Tanksley, JWF, Buie, Pemberton and maybe others. Next year he may say the same thing about Coburn or Ray. I wouldn't read too much into it. I don't think Buie's number will be retired and I have been a huge fan of Buie's from day 1.