Director's Cut Podcast with Rick Cole

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
The Shadow

Director's Cut Podcast with Rick Cole

Post by The Shadow »

There is a new Director's Cut podcast posted on the GoHofstra website that is very informative. AD Cole,Jr and SID Gorchov do a great job, well worth your time.
triplec2195

Re: AA suggestion for Hofstra

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:There is a new Director's Cut podcast posted on the GoHofstra website that is very informative. AD Cole,Jr and SID Gorchov do a great job, well worth your time.
This is informative and a nice discussion with The AD who seems in his opinion to leave the door cracked open for another year of eligibility for our basketball seniors that's if they would/could want that extra year. This obviously is not his decision to make but he's very passionate about his feelings for our basketball team. I just think much to my dismay this gets shot down but lets see what transpires here.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
The Shadow wrote:There is a new Director's Cut podcast posted on the GoHofstra website that is very informative. AD Cole,Jr and SID Gorchov do a great job, well worth your time.
This is informative and a nice discussion with The AD who seems in his opinion to leave the door cracked open for another year of eligibility for our basketball seniors that's if they would/could want that extra year. This obviously is not his decision to make but he's very passionate about his feelings for our basketball team. I just think much to my dismay this gets shot down but lets see what transpires here.
NCAA's not doing it. Only for spring sports seniors. It's the right move. As sad as it is to see Buie and Pemberton denied their chance in the NCAAT, they basically played the season. They only missed a game, maybe two, maybe a few if really lucky. Shouldn't give an entire year back for that.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Do not agree that it is the right move. Cole's argument is sound.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I certainly fully understand the reasoning behind "these kids playing the entire season" except for the ONE game a game that some schools have waited a multitude of years to play and the difficulty and frustration just trying to earn the right to play that ONE game. It's the ONE game that they so deserve to play. It's a lot more then ONE game when you put it into the proper perspective so what is the resolution to this if anything???
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Wags I do understand what Triple C is saying. You play the whole season to play in that ONE game. Through no fault of their own Eli and Desure along with many other mid major players. They are only asking for this one year . expand the rosters to 15 or 16 for one year only.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Wags I do understand what Triple C is saying. You play the whole season to play in that ONE game. Through no fault of their own Eli and Desure along with many other mid major players. They are only asking for this one year . expand the rosters to 15 or 16 for one year only.
Thanks Stu this is the culmination of lots of years of disappointment and heartache so to try to reduce this to just ONE game is very disingenuous. Much much more then this. Why couldn't the NCAA in their infinite wisdom put together a pre-season tourney like what they used to do with NIT teams. A pre-season showdown of teams that made the NCAA and those that had the best chance to make the NCAA. They had a pretty good clue as to who they were going to pick anyway and their seeds. Instead of creating an entire season with all these extra players get this tournament over with in the beginning of the NCAA season maybe in October. This entire coronavirus drama maybe will have subsided by then and if not God forbid then who knows what the status of all fall sports will be. There just needs to be closure here IMO.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Wags I do understand what Triple C is saying. You play the whole season to play in that ONE game. Through no fault of their own Eli and Desure along with many other mid major players. They are only asking for this one year . expand the rosters to 15 or 16 for one year only.
I think this is being viewed unobjectively here through blue and yellow Hofstra glasses. We can't be blind to this because it's Hofstra, Buie and Pemberton. I highly doubt this would be mentioned at all on this board on behalf of seniors on other teams if Hofstra had lost the CAA tourney this year.

As big a game as it is, It's still ONE game -- or a few more games at most -- vs. basically the entire season. And, where do you draw the line? Are you also going to give another year to every senior on every team in every conference that didn't get to play or finish their conference tournaments because they technically could have played in the NCAAT if those conference tourneys played out, even if they were on one of the worst teams in their respective conferences? Are you also going to do it with every senior who played on a team that finished first in its conference but which didn't yet qualify for the NCAAT this year, but who would have automatically played in the NIT?

It's also not as easy as "expand the rosters." When you do that, everyone else is on hold in their development, without the ability to get that year back. That might be even worse than others missing out on the NCAAT. Buie was already around for five years. Now, you give him a sixth when he just played all but maybe one game of his senior season? Then what happens to Burgess? He loses another year without getting to step up his playing time and grow? He won't ever get that year back as you give Buie another year. And then you have a trickle-down effect in similar scenarios on Hofstra and with other players on others teams. Sure, it's not fair that seniors on a lot of teams were denied their "One Shining Moments," and yeah, that absolutely sucks -- especially today, when ESPN2 is The Ocho, showing things like the Cherry Pit Spitting Championship instead of the NCAAT being shown today on CBS & the Turner networks -- but it might be even more unfair if players who were once like JWF and Buie, with very little playing time at first, before later becoming stars, had their development cut into by returning seniors during a year they can never recover.

The NCAA very quickly gave eligibility relief to spring sports seniors because it easily made sense. It's been widely reported that the NCAA is not considering the same with this winter sports seniors. If it were going to happen, they'd have acted quickly on it like they did with spring sports seniors. It's just bad luck. I feel terribly for players like Buie and Eli and every senior like them this year, but what can you do? Life's unfair sometimes. Just have to accept it. This happened because of an extremely atypical situation unlike one we had ever seen before. I'd be shocked if the news that's already been reported on this drastically changed the NCAA decided to so the same with players who played just about the whole season as with spring sports players who had yet to begin their seasons - from that standpoint, it's apples and oranges, and it's why the NCAA is doing the right thing with its decision so far.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Thanks Stu this is the culmination of lots of years of disappointment and heartache so to try to reduce this to just ONE game is very disingenuous.
This is Hofstra bias and that in itself is disingenuous. It making its decision on this, the NCAA (rightly) views this as the careers of players like Buie career and Pemberton only, and this season and next season only. It's not the NCAA's job (not should it be) to make up for Hofstra missing the NCAAT for 19 years before they finally would've qualified.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Wags only opinion I see both sides of this argument
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Wags only opinion I see both sides of this argument
I hear ya. I just don't see the NCAA changing its decision on it.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Personally never felt that the seniors should get another year of eligibility for reasons that have been stated over and over again. There are people that do take up this argument I believe our AD for one. I although have been a proponent for these kids of all eligible schools to play in a tournament that they earned the right to play in. Obviously the reason for not having this tournament far exceeds the sports agenda because people are dying all over the world and in this country which clearly is more important then the sports and kids involved. Just saying there should be an attempt to play some kind of tournament that's all.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Coach even admitted on Francesa how stupid it would be to allow players who played a full regular season and conference tournament to get another year. I’d feel like we were cheating if we did that. I have a better idea, the NCAA has talked in the past about expanding their tournament to 96 teams. How about the next time we have a season (hopefully 2021) they let the auto qualifiers for 2020 in? Now I understand some conference tournaments didn’t happen/finish so that would throw a monkey wrench into it but I feel that would be way more fair than allowing Eli and Desure another season. I mean if this happened to Coc or WM, I’d go nuts if they allowed Riller or Knight back. Gotta be objective here.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:Personally never felt that the seniors should get another year of eligibility for reasons that have been stated over and over again. There are people that do take up this argument I believe our AD for one. I although have been a proponent for these kids of all eligible schools to play in a tournament that they earned the right to play in. Obviously the reason for not having this tournament far exceeds the sports agenda because people are dying all over the world and in this country which clearly is more important then the sports and kids involved. Just saying there should be an attempt to play some kind of tournament that's all.
I think the NCAA would love to play it, but it comes down to logistics. The virus made it impossible to play it on a delayed basis in April or May, and once that window was closed, that was really it. Seniors leave, arenas become unavailable and several other factors make it prohibitive to play it beyond May. It's unfortunate, but it's just how it is. April or May was really the last realistic chance, but as we're seeing, the impact this virus is having is going to extend into those months, if not well beyond that (which is why the NBA is even optimistically, but with great uncertainty, looking at mid or late June for a possible return).
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:Coach even admitted on Francesa how stupid it would be to allow players who played a full regular season and conference tournament to get another year. I’d feel like we were cheating if we did that. I have a better idea, the NCAA has talked in the past about expanding their tournament to 96 teams. How about the next time we have a season (hopefully 2021) they let the auto qualifiers for 2020 in? Now I understand some conference tournaments didn’t happen/finish so that would throw a monkey wrench into it but I feel that would be way more fair than allowing Eli and Desure another season. I mean if this happened to Coc or WM, I’d go nuts if they allowed Riller or Knight back. Gotta be objective here.
I don't think that works. If I get you right, are you saying... even if Hofstra finished 5th or 6th in the CAA next year without Buie or Eli back, let them in the NCAAT with a 96-team field based solely on what they did by winning the CAA tourney this year? If so, I don't think something like that works at all. I think we just have to accept what happened this year. Hofstra's CAA champs, other teams were conference champs, but that's it. No NCAAT for those teams. Just a rare year that ends that way. Sucks, but there was really no good way to fix that after the March-May window to closed to play the NCAAT as scheduled or on a delayed basis.

In general, I hope they never expand to 96 - we'd have a real watered-down tournament with one too many rounds and too many teams that don't belong. But if they want to instead let all auto-qualifiers avoid the First Four and go right to Thurs or Fri (since they already qualified for the NCAAT) and instead let the last 8 bubble teams play in the First Four for the four 11 seeds, then that's something I'd be all for with the First Four and something I've been suggesting for years. But this halfway crap they do now, with half bubble teams and half auto-qualifiers is only half-right.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Be careful Wags when you use the words "DON'T BELONG" again this is someones opinion. My favorite part of these tournaments are when the "DAVID'S SLAY THE GOLIATH'S" when these P5 teams go down to the teams that DON'T BELONG" WHEN UMBC 16 seed beats the number one seed Virginia. These are the great stories in this tournament not the P5 teams playing each other yes those make for great games but the real human interest stories are when the little guys can come out on top and show the basketball world that they in fact belong. If the field got expanded then teams such as Hofstra with 25 wins would get in if somehow they lost the championship game. Watching HU play NE and the battle they gave us you can see how this could happen and this is just one story among many that happens in D-1 come NCAA selection time. It may be 20/20 hindsight but what if HU goes to the dance the year we beat George Mason twice. Do we represent the CAA and go to the Final Four?? I'm with you here Wags when you say deserving teams should get into the conference and there are plenty of teams that get stood up come MARCH MADNESS. That's my opinion anyway!
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:Be careful Wags when you use the words "DON'T BELONG" again this is someones opinion. My favorite part of these tournaments are when the "DAVID'S SLAY THE GOLIATH'S" when these P5 teams go down to the teams that DON'T BELONG" WHEN UMBC 16 seed beats the number one seed Virginia. These are the great stories in this tournament not the P5 teams playing each other yes those make for great games but the real human interest stories are when the little guys can come out on top and show the basketball world that they in fact belong. If the field got expanded then teams such as Hofstra with 25 wins would get in if somehow they lost the championship game. Watching HU play NE and the battle they gave us you can see how this could happen and this is just one story among many that happens in D-1 come NCAA selection time. It may be 20/20 hindsight but what if HU goes to the dance the year we beat George Mason twice. Do we represent the CAA and go to the Final Four?? I'm with you here Wags when you say deserving teams should get into the conference and there are plenty of teams that get stood up come MARCH MADNESS. That's my opinion anyway!
UMBC was a 24-win team that qualified for the field of 68 though. What I'm saying is of you expand it to 96, you're going to get some teams around .500 or lower in the NCAAT. It would be more than fair to say a lot of those teams wouldn't belong in the NCAAT... which is why it's so much lower than 96 (at 68) to begin with. And I'm not even talking only about the mid-majors, which I agree, provide some of the great stories every March. But do we really want to see Clemson (16-15, 9-11 this year) in the NCAAT? It won't be much different than the field of 68 - they'll find ways to include teams like that over giving more opportunity for a team like W&M this year or to HU this year had they lost in the CAA tourney.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I can't imagine they do nothing for senior players and teams that qualified for the NCAA tournament but didn't get to play in it. Well I mean I can imagine it, it's the NCAA after all but I don't see advocating for it. Is it that big a deal to have some extra play in games to accommodate any of these qualifiers that don't get a regular bid next year?

Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:I can't imagine they do nothing for senior players and teams that qualified for the NCAA tournament but didn't get to play in it. Well I mean I can imagine it, it's the NCAA after all but I don't see advocating for it. Is it that big a deal to have some extra play in games to accommodate any of these qualifiers that don't get a regular bid next year?
Logistically, it is. You don't just snap your fingers and make something like that happen. First, we have no idea how long this pandemic will go on. It's not happening any time soon and there's no way next year's teams will play a season and then add this season's seniors back just for an expanded NCAAT next year. No chance of that.

Even if it were targeted for before next season, this year's seniors would be long gone (some could've already moved on to Europe to play professionally, others possibly drafted in the NBA, etc.), so it would be tough to bring them all back. As sad as it is for those seniors, it's something they're going to have to live with.

The NCAA isn't doing anything for them. We just have to accept that there's no 2020 NCAA tournament. These are obviously not ordinary times and the NCAAT is unfortunately collateral damage of that. Given what's going on, the NCAAT is actually way down at the bottom of the list in terms of things that have been canceled, postponed or otherwise impacted by the pandemic. The NCAA tried to make the tournament happen, but once they saw they couldn't, they moved on.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
cactus wrote:I can't imagine they do nothing for senior players and teams that qualified for the NCAA tournament but didn't get to play in it. Well I mean I can imagine it, it's the NCAA after all but I don't see advocating for it. Is it that big a deal to have some extra play in games to accommodate any of these qualifiers that don't get a regular bid next year?
Logistically, it is. You don't just snap your fingers and make something like that happen. First, we have no idea how long this pandemic will go on. It's not happening any time soon and there's no way next year's teams will play a season and then add this season's seniors back just for an expanded NCAAT next year. No chance of that.

Even if it were targeted for before next season, this year's seniors would be long gone (some could've already moved on to Europe to play professionally, others possibly drafted in the NBA, etc.), so it would be tough to bring them all back. As sad as it is for those seniors, it's something they're going to have to live with.

The NCAA isn't doing anything for them. We just have to accept that there's no 2020 NCAA tournament. These are obviously not ordinary times and the NCAAT is unfortunately collateral damage of that. Given what's going on, the NCAAT is actually way down at the bottom of the list in terms of things that have been canceled, postponed or otherwise impacted by the pandemic. The NCAA tried to make the tournament happen, but once they saw they couldn't, they moved on.
Disagree. These are extraordinary circumstances. Seniors still with games to play get an extra year of eligibility. Scholarship limit increases for each school by the # of current senior players who choose to return. Done.

Even easier is to expand the 2021 NCAA field with play in games for teams who already auto- qualified this year but do not next year.