Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Post by Polito »

Appreciate the takes... but Trueheart is in no way shape or form a starting 4. Or a starter in general. Cramer starts all day, or frankly that signing was a waste.

I also don't see Green backing up the 3. He's a 4, and to me should help backup Cramer w/a diff game. I would pencil in Silverio, Bethea, or Masic behind the 3, depending on who redshirts. Perhaps that's where they see Betley...

This will be Ray and Coburn's team next year. Thanks to the current craziness, HU needs to repeat so we can actually go dancing for real.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Nothing personal but c'mon if Trueheart is the key to our success wow we're in trouble. Stafford I believe backs up Cramer and is an important(potentially) part of the team. Please totally forget about him as a scorer he's a very poor 3 point shooter. His value is size, shot blocking, experience,
and rebounding playing a few minutes. He shot around 12% from beyond the arc. He has upside but lets not try to make him what he clearly isn't and based on who we have on this team scoring is not going to be an issue here DEFENSE might be but not shooting.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:Appreciate the takes... but Trueheart is in no way shape or form a starting 4. Or a starter in general. Cramer starts all day, or frankly that signing was a waste.

I also don't see Green backing up the 3. He's a 4, and to me should help backup Cramer w/a diff game. I would pencil in Silverio, Bethea, or Masic behind the 3, depending on who redshirts. Perhaps that's where they see Betley...

This will be Ray and Coburn's team next year. Thanks to the current craziness, HU needs to repeat so we can actually go dancing for real.
Agree I think trueheart will not get many minutes especially as the season progresses and Cramer and Green develop. Coburn can also slide back to the 4.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Found this little gem, love me some P5 games! Head down there, show em something fellas, another shock and awe opp against a very unsuspecting major :D

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 3705524225
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:Found this little gem, love me some P5 games! Head down there, show em something fellas, another shock and awe opp against a very unsuspecting major :D

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 3705524225
Lets keep them coming and do away with playing teams in the bottom conference tiers. Lets overall improve our OOC schedule.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to the New Orleans Advocate, the HU at LSU game is scheduled for Sunday, December 27th. HU gets a $97,000 guarantee for the game. There is also a COVID-19 clause in case there are still restrictions in place.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Like the sound of that $ is that standard for playing a P5 team.
Cards

Post by Cards »

SWEET! Nice start pulling together the OOC schedule.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

They're also playing in a tournament in San Juan in November.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheD1Docket/ ... 0138510336
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This sounds good also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to that D1Docket, the dates of the San Juan Tournament are from Friday, November 19th to Sunday, November 21st. They already had the LSU game on the spread sheet along with the 2021 CAA Tournament dates which run from Friday, March 5th to Monday, March 8th. The CAAT appears to be a change from the Saturday to Tuesday from 2020.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Listening right now to Coach Joe on the conference call mentioning which out of conference games are scheduled. So far I think the following were mentioned: 1) at home: Stony Brook, Princeton, and Bucknell 2) away: San Jose State, San Francisco (the Bill Russell reference), Monmouth, and LSU. Coach Joe did not mention the exact dates. We could add on the San Juan games (Air Force, Southern Illinois, and Florida Atlantic), so there are only a few spots that need to be filled in.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

triplec2195 wrote:Nothing personal but c'mon if Trueheart is the key to our success wow we're in trouble. Stafford I believe backs up Cramer and is an important(potentially) part of the team. Please totally forget about him as a scorer he's a very poor 3 point shooter. His value is size, shot blocking, experience,
and rebounding playing a few minutes. He shot around 12% from beyond the arc. He has upside but lets not try to make him what he clearly isn't and based on who we have on this team scoring is not going to be an issue here DEFENSE might be but not shooting.
Polito/TC- this is what I love about this board. I respect the takes, but will take this opportunity to (maybe a bit cautiously) plant my flag on Trueheart island.

For me, it's a simple formula. That stretch 4 position is our inflection point as a team with the offense and defense we run. We need rebounding, length in the corner of the zone, and 3-pt shooting. Frankly, I'm still praying we bring in a grad transfer with experience to fill the position. But, if we don't, I just don't see Cramer as a redshirt freshman who hasn't played competitive bball in 3 years coming in and playing 25-30 minutes/game.

I think Trueheart gets the minutes, shoots 35% from 3, and averages around 9 pts, 5 rebounds, and a block a game, in about 25 minutes a game. This would be exactly what we need from that position and from this senior member of our team.

Mark it down, and we'll see :-)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HU87 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Nothing personal but c'mon if Trueheart is the key to our success wow we're in trouble. Stafford I believe backs up Cramer and is an important(potentially) part of the team. Please totally forget about him as a scorer he's a very poor 3 point shooter. His value is size, shot blocking, experience,
Polito/TC- this is what I love about this board. I respect the takes, but will take this opportunity to (maybe a bit cautiously) plant my flag on Trueheart island.

For me, it's a simple formula. That stretch 4 position is our inflection point as a team with the offense and defense we run. We need rebounding, length in the corner of the zone, and 3-pt shooting. Frankly, I'm still praying we bring in a grad transfer with experience to fill the position. But, if we don't, I just don't see Cramer as a redshirt freshman who hasn't played competitive bball in 3 years coming in and playing 25-30 minutes/game.

I think Trueheart gets the minutes, shoots 35% from 3, and averages around 9 pts, 5 rebounds, and a block a game, in about 25 minutes a game. This would be exactly what we need from that position and from this senior member of our team.

OK HU87 value your opinions but without any kind of past performance re scoring specifically 3 point shooting it's difficult to reach that conclusion. This is what we are basing our estimation of what Stafford can do for us this year. He hit 33% from 3 in his freshman year 14/42 his best shooting year, in his sophomore year he shot 27% 13/49 and last year he shot 13% 4/31. You say he gets 25 minutes when he has never averaged more then 14 minutes. He shoots 35% from 3 when his best year he shot 33%. He has never averaged 3 rebounds a game but of course he never played the minutes. Listen from your mouth to God's ears if he can produce those numbers we would all be ecstatic more so the coaching staff but his performance has been on the decline which is not to say that it isn't possible. He is a contributor on the D side of the court more so then anywhere else. Also I'll add this re Cramer you are probably right that he doesn't play that many minutes(25-30) but not because he's fragile etc but possibly because we could have a lot of players sliding in and out of the position. I'm not 100% sold on Coburn not playing minutes there. I love Tareq but would like to see him improve his ball handling skills and be more of a mid-range threat or a guy that can burn you taking it to the rack.

I'm more likely to go out on a limb and say that Omar will go from rags to riches. Not too many believers but I have touted the potential in his game and lets see how that winds up. People have him almost locked in the doghouse but I'm not one of them.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Shadow wrote: Listening right now to Coach Joe on the conference call mentioning which out of conference games are scheduled. So far I think the following were mentioned: 1) at home: Stony Brook, Princeton, and Bucknell 2) away: San Jose State, San Francisco (the Bill Russell reference), Monmouth, and LSU. Coach Joe did not mention the exact dates. We could add on the San Juan games (Air Force, Southern Illinois, and Florida Atlantic), so there are only a few spots that need to be filled in.
When Stony Brook wanted a home game, we went there in consecutive seasons. Now they will come to us in consecutive seasons. It will be a lot of flying to California, LSU, and San Juan. Should we play 3 games while in California to make it worth going that far, or is 2 enough. We've been having 13 out of conference games with 5 at home this season and 7 at home in 2018-2019 when we did not play a neutral site tournament. If we play 13 out of conference games, that's 3 not listed above, and 2 would need to be at home to make 5. 7 of those ten opponents are in conferences that were better than the CAA in the Conference NET, although that doesn't mean the teams are good. The Ivy, Mountain West (Air Force and San Jose State), West Coast (San Francisco), SEC, Missouri Valley (Southern Illinois), and Conference USA (Florida Atlantic) were better than the CAA. The CAA, Ivy, and Conference USA were very close. The NET doesn't provide values. In the Conference RPI, the Ivy was 15th at .4865, the CAA was 16th at .4857, and C USA was 17th at .4855. Stony Brook is the only one of those 10 in New York. Here is how many New York teams we played in the last ten seasons:

5 of 13 in 2019-2020: New York Tech, Canisius, St. Bonaventure, Stony Brook, and Manhattan
3 of 13 in 2018-2019: Siena, Manhattan, and Stony Brook
5 of 12 in 2017-2018: Army West Point, Siena, Molloy, Stony Brook, and Manhattan
6 of 13 in 2016-2017: Manhattan, Medaille, Columbia, St. Bonaventure, Stony Brook, and Siena
5 of 12 in 2015-2016: Canisiua, Molloy, St. Bonaventure, Siena, and Stony Brook
4 of 13 in 2014-2015: Stony Brook, Wagner, Columbia, and LIU Brooklyn
2 of 15 (because the CAA had 9 teams and 16 CAA games) in 2013-2014: Manhattan and Siena
3 of 13 in 2012-2013: Manhattan, Wagner, and LIU Brooklyn
8 of 13 in 2011-2012: LIU Brooklyn, St. Francis, Wagner, Manhattan, Binghamton, Colgate, Iona, and Siena (BracketBuster)
5 of 12 in 2010-2011: Farmingdale State, Wagner, Binghamton, Manhattan, and Iona
Total: 46 of 129 (35.66 percent)

Therefore even if we add 3 games against New York teams to make 4, it would be fewer than average.

LSU was 28th in the NET.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I like how the non-conf is shaping up for the most part... I think 2 is fine for CA, but I'd like to see another Louisiana team on the docket with the LSU trip - plenty of options, Tulane, La Tech, ULL, Nichols St, Mcnesse St...

HU87, all good, love the double-ing down on ST...all in approach eh!! :lol: but I'll take that bet all day long :P , barring the 'I' word which I will not speak, he will not see anywhere near 25 min a game, and won't need to. I'd cut your numbers in half, generally speaking. As I just posted in the recruiting thread, I'm starting to get a gut feeling that TC stays at the 4 w/ST and Cramer backing up (and Green RS).

If so ST will likely see less than 10 a game, esp as Cramer gets worked into the fold, which is just right for his wheelhouse - quick strategic spark / TC relief off the bench. Any impact will be a beautiful bonus, just as it was this year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I’m on the fence when it comes to redshirts but I don’t believe that Green is redshirted. He’s too ready to play D1 as is Bethea. I think if someone gets redshirted it will be Masic. That’s my opinion. If we use our last scholarship on a kid who’s an over the top player then anything is possible.

Last edited by triplec2195 on Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

HU87 wrote:

No way Truehart putsup those numbers even if he gets 40 minutes...he's a spot situationalplayer at best, spelling Coburn for a rest and against some taller players.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:I’m on the fence when it comes to redshirts but I don’t believe that Green is redshirted. He’s too ready to play D1 as is Bethea. I think if someone gets redshirted it will be Masic. That’s my opinion. If we use our last scholarship on a kid who’s an over the top player that anything is possible.

According to Joe's podcast Green and Bethea are college ready...Masic looks like a potential redshirt but who knows...too early to tell!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:I’m on the fence when it comes to redshirts but I don’t believe that Green is redshirted. He’s too ready to play D1 as is Bethea. I think if someone gets redshirted it will be Masic. That’s my opinion. If we use our last scholarship on a kid who’s an over the top player that anything is possible.

According to Joe's podcast Green and Bethea are college ready...Masic looks like a potential redshirt but who knows...too early to tell!
Yes certainly does look that way. We have a lot of good players coming in.